Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:55pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    Has there ever been a documented case of a trachea being broken/crushed by a strike?
    I know of precisely one. A ludicris bodyguard struck an attacking fan in the throat. The fan was in a full body lunge(hence all of his weight was behind him) and the bodyguard was a trained fighter, hence all of his weight was behind the strike, the collision apparently caused a minor crush to the trachea and ruptures inside the throat.

However, and this was an extreme circumstance and convergence of a number of factors that can only be called chance, the strike was not fatal however. Apparently even with a crushed trachea it is still possible to breathe, and even though there were ruptures it takes a long time to drown in one's blood when coughing it up is a possibility(i.e. not unconscious). Though it did end up as a hosptial stay.

So the final answer is no. While extrodinarily painful, and possibly damaging, lethal it is not. I guess potentiallity exists if there is no treatment, but then it is not so much the strike that killed as it was stupidity, and as great as modern medical science is, there still is no treatment for stupidity.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 6:17pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    I hit a guy in the throat once and he just gagged and hit me back. It really didn't seem to faze him too much.
    Maybe you just hit like a girl :gaygay:

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate chop yourself in the adams apple, now imagine a boxers whole bodyweight and power behind it. Lets say someone like lennox lewis, who can generate something like a ton per square inch (I could be wrong here). Thats like a small car riding over your throat.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:34pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic
    Maybe you just hit like a girl :gaygay:

I really can't help it I try to be just like you.

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:40pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't really effectively crush a throat with a strike - you might temporarily collapse it, but if you're close enough to hit a target 2-3 inches beyond the chin? Just throw a shot to the dome.

You can actually stick your finger into someone's eye socket pretty far with no permanent damage to the eye (my friend is a Mass. CO). I bet the throat operates similarly

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kyokishinkai (sp?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have choked out guys, but they have either been "subjects" where I was working (I am a cop), or friends I was sparring with (who tapped out, like I always do) -- in both cases I have always made sure my elbow was under the guy's chin to protect the trachea, larynx, etc. and so I just shut off the carotids. I hear guys talking about chokes that purposely put the bony part of the wrist, or even the knuckles against the guy's throat, but holy ****, it sure seems like that could cause permanent damage quick. Thoughts, anybody?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to know how bad it might hurt you to use the boney parts in choke, and how much pressure it actually takes to crush the laranyx if anyone knows I would appreciate their input.

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 2:20pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcatcher1
    i have choked out guys, but they have either been "subjects" where I was working (I am a cop), or friends I was sparring with (who tapped out, like I always do) -- in both cases I have always made sure my elbow was under the guy's chin to protect the trachea, larynx, etc. and so I just shut off the carotids. I hear guys talking about chokes that purposely put the bony part of the wrist, or even the knuckles against the guy's throat, but holy ****, it sure seems like that could cause permanent damage quick. Thoughts, anybody?

Judo version of the RNC
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 2:41pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My old boxing coach used to encourage me to hit people in the throat when I could get away with it.

I've been hit in the throat with punches and kicks and training weapons.

My old muay thai instructor shifted his grip while doing a bench press and dropped some 250lbs on his neck, everyone in the gym freaked, but he got up and was completely ok. He in fact would let people punch him in the throat after that.

So my take on the throat strike is that while it can suck, i've not seen it kill anyone even though i've seen and felt it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just go learn juko-kai if you're that worried about it, j/k.

i'm more worried about lapel chokes crushing my will to live than getting punched in the throat.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast