Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 11:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi gymkata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Survival Guy Responds to My Email

I began a thread in YMAS about survivalguy.com. Therefore, at the request of some of my fellow Bullshidoers I decided to investigate.
    What follows is the email I received this AM from the Survival Guy MR. Jim Kirkpatrick

This was my email requesting info.

Dear Sir,

I am writer and I am researching some of your claims. Is site serious
    or is it meant for humor? If it is not when did you appear in the UFC?
    Who are instructors? Can you verify your claims of survival? And can
    you verify your training and qualifications?

Sincerely,
    This was his response. He opted to highlight everything in yellow---so don't get pissed at me if you go blind reading it.

hey jack,
    .....did not respond to you on sunday (because i dont do biz on sundays)

.....RE: Is site serious or is it meant for humor?
    ANSWER: that's an insult !!
    .....if you truly researched my website, you know its VERY serious

.....RE:
    If it is not, when did you appear in the UFC?
    ANSWER: i never claimed to be in the ufc
    .....perhaps your making a false conclusion: the "ufc" reference point on the right-hand column of home page, is only that, a reference point ( i dont teach people how to mindlessly duplicate the ufc, but how to cheat and defeat the ufc'er)

contrary to popular belief, the ufc is NOT the "end all and be all".
    ...its more like wussy fighting
    .....e.g. >>you have refs, onsite police/ paramedic/ rules/ no mass attack/ no weapons/
    comfy mat, etc.,

i teach SURVIVAL (life or death, kill or be killed)....not some tap-out sport

.....RE: Can you verify your claims of survival/ your training/ qualifications?
    ANSWER: my website is my resume (especially Coach Jim page) and it speaks for itself
    .....if you still doubt my skills, experience, training, etc., ...your more than welcome to
    take a private lesson....and after just (1), you will see the Survival Difference
    .....we wont spar, we wont go sky diving, but you will see the difference

--
    Survival Guy

Forward

New window
    Print all
    Expand all
    Collapse all
    Forward all

Back to Inbox
    ArchiveReport SpamDelete
    More Actions

Newer 2 of 7 Older

Get Gmail on your phone. It's super-fast. Visit http://mobile.google.com/ on your phone's web browser. Learn more

You are currently using 8 MB (0%) of your 4867 MB.

Gmail view: standard | turn off chat | basic HTML Learn more

2007 Google - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Program Policies - Google Home

As you can see, he did not answer a single question. For those of you that have not checked him out his website is http://www.survivalguy.com/

Since I do not resolve in CA, I would like someone to go to his location and check him out. I think the guy is a fucking nut, but that's just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Wolf; 11/13/2007 3:14pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 2:43pm

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see anything wrong with the guy. He has a unique angle and he is being upfront about what he does and does not do. Also, he is cheap, $80/mo for classes and $30/hr for private lessons.

I suggest you don't post anything more about this unless you come up with something real.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:03pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricH
    I don't see anything wrong with the guy. He has a unique angle and he is being upfront about what he does and does not do. Also, he is cheap, $80/mo for classes and $30/hr for private lessons.

I suggest you don't post anything more about this unless you come up with something real.
    To be fair to the OP, the guy's site does have the distinct appearance of Bullshido. For example, that video on his front page concentrates on choreographed sequences and hot chicks instead of anything palpable. Also, he lists several martial arts (and other buzzwords) on this front page that are completely irrelevant to his course description, and for which he lists no practical experience.

Under the "Education" section of his page, he lists:
    • Israeli Martial Arts
    • Modern Ninjutsu
    • Thai KickBoxing
    • Jeet Kune Do
    • NHB

It's certainly worth noting that he doesn't list any trainers for these martial forms, and does not claim any specific rank in them. Not the most convincing credentials for a self-defense instructor.

Finally, in his e-mail to the OP, he claims that he can prove his effectiveness without sparring-- which is the biggest red-flag of all, in my opinion.

--Joe

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:16pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    k.... cleaned up this thread once. lets keep things a bit more civil and on topic or off to YMAS this goes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: isshin ryu\Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see that survival guy has 27 years of survival experience does that mean I have 31 years of experience since i havn't been killed yet?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:26pm

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Joe
    It's certainly worth noting that he doesn't list any trainers for these martial forms, and does not claim any specific rank in them. Not the most convincing credentials for a self-defense instructor.

Finally, in his e-mail to the OP, he claims that he can prove his effectiveness without sparring-- which is the biggest red-flag of all, in my opinion.

Not convincing, sure, but not fraudulent either.

Your second point is a matter of opinion and taste. He states right out his opinion on the matter and gives everybody who wants to spar the info they need to steer clear.

Looks like his system is not for everybody but I see nothing wrong with the guy. There is a notable lack of attempts to persuade on his website. His says what he does, who/what have influenced him, and lets you decide if you want to participate.
    Last edited by EricH; 11/13/2007 3:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:31pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, he is cheap, $80/mo for classes and $30/hr for private lessons.
    You call that cheap? I'll show ya cheap. $40 for 8 workouts. $30 for 8 workouts if you are a member of the health club that hosts my program. Each workout runs 1.5-2 hours. That's cheap.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I find interesting is the Professor of Survival for Biola University.

Other than that it looks like the bad end of RBSD. He is preying on peoples fears that's what some of these guys do.

Minus the email I would have wrote him off as a Mcdojo RBSDer.

For example, that video on his front page concentrates on choreographed sequences and hot chicks instead of anything palpable
    That is called marketing and has nothing to do with a call of bullshido. Go to youtube you will see hundreds of videos just like that from some legit schools.

Gracie Jiujitsu used to produce some highly entertaining knife defense videos.

Visiting the school is really the only way to draw a conclusion IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not convincing, sure, but not fraudulent either.
    I wasn't claiming this proved fraudulence. I was saying it's worth looking into. The man claims to teach self-defense and combat. If he doesn't actually have a solid background in combat training, that would be fraudulent.

All I was pointing out is a few classic signs of a McDojo. They'd have to be further checked to be proven as fraud.

Looks like his system is not for everybody but I see nothing wrong with the guy.
    That's lovely. I see plenty wrong with the guy, and so did the original poster. That's why this thread was started. If our concerns prove to be unfounded, then wonderful! More respect to the gentleman. Making sure he really has the qualifications he claims hurts no one.

--Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    That is called marketing and has nothing to do with a call of bullshido. Go to youtube you will see hundreds of videos just like that from some legit schools.

Gracie Jiujitsu used to produce some highly entertaining knife defense videos.

Visiting the school is really the only way to draw a conclusion IMO.
    The video was just one element of many. The "Professor of Survival" degree, irrelevant listing of Martial Arts that his school doesn't even teach, and the dubious martial background are more eye-popping than the video, I'd say.

But I certainly agree: visiting the school is the absolute best method of discernment.

--Joe
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast