Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 1:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sweet

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your taking the time to give me some advice.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 1:29pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    6. If you have any friends and relatives who were or are Marines do NOT let them know your address in boot camp. Talk/write to them before and after. Why? Because Jarheads are practical jokers. You will get mail with cute sayings on the outside or poogy bait on the inside and the DI's will make you suffer. This happened to someone when I was in boot camp. He hated mail call and the DI's loved it.
    Oh **** - so when my brother was in basic I sent him a letter with an hammer and sickle written on the outside of the envelope. Hardy har. Years later, I'm in basic and he sends ME a letter saying on the outside "Do you still think your drill sergeant is a *****?" Oh my God that sucked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 1:55pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehehehehe, omfg SFG that's awesome.
    I mean, from your brother's perspective heh, that musta been hell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 2:10pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reminds me of my 26th birthday, in Basic. I got sent a card by my brother that had about 20 stickers that said 26, as well as about another 15 star stickers. Payback's a bitch, he's about to go to Airforce basic. Wait till he gets one of my letters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 2:29pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi_no_ki
    Payback's a bitch, he's about to go to Airforce basic. Wait till he gets one of my letters.
    What will they do, make him write an extra-long report?

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 3:05pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, they'll wash him back to day one. Good times.

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 3:18pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always heard the hardest thing they do in air force basic is get fitted for uniforms. All that standing can be rather tiring.

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you tell your drill instructor "Make Me" on the first day, he will respect you and go easy on you the rest of your time in basic training.

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 4:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a former 0311 lat moved to 0411 and slotted for PLC, let me start off with a few comments.

1. If you can, get your degree before and go in as an officer. Marine Officers are hardcore (in my experience), more respected than other branch officers, and get treated a LOT better than enlisted Marines. In other words, you get all the perks of being a Marine without all the bullshit.

2. Get into the Delayed Entry Program and give yourself at least 3-6 months time before you ship. Then attend your poolie meets religiously, study your knowledge (it sounds stupid, but you'll call your study book/materials your "knowledge"), go to the shooting range and practice with AR-15s (it isn't an M16A2, but it's close enough and legal. Practice taking it apart too, if they'll let you).

3. Practice the language. Stay away from "Sir Sandwiches" (Sir, Yes Sir). End every sentence with sir and ma'am. Answer quickly, confidently, and try to avoid stuttering. Teach yourself to avoid asking questions and saying things like "huh", "what", "like", etc...

4. Learn the terms. It is not a broom...it's a swab. It is not a door, it's a hatch. It is not a window, it's a porthole. Your recruiter should give you some study material.

5. Learn the ranks. Calling a Staff Sergeant a Sergeant is a painful mistake. Calling a First Sergeant or a Gunny a Sergeant will get you killed.

6. Learn to drill. Attention, Parade Rest, At Ease (ain't gonna happen in Boot), Facing, Mark Time, Present Arms, Columns, etc... Recruiters don't practice this with poolies, but they should. Stand in front of a mirror, say commands in your head, and practice...I **** you not. Being the honor platoon makes life a LOT easier.

7. Do NOT enter boot camp with a girlfriend. Unless you're married and/or obligated because of children, break it off beforehand. You WILL find her a distraction, she WILL move on with her life while you're away, and you CAN'T let that **** get in your head. Do her a favor and break it off...but keep it friendly, in case you want some tail when you visit your family.

FINALLY...

...DO NOT HALF-ASS THIS ****!

Boot Camp will suck. Trust me. It may very well be the worst time in your life. These are the things you have to look forward to.

1. Endless, hard exercise.
    -You do a LOT of group exercise throughout your day. While this may seem like an easy task, keep in mind that your Drill Instructors typically set the pace...and ALL of your Drill Instructors will be Marathon Runner material. They will enjoy watching you gasp and puke while they scream at you.

2. Screaming
    -They scream, spit, shriek, and wail at you constantly. Often from an inch away from your face. You are also expected to scream and yell everything you do. Quick, fast, and sharp. You get used to it, but don't let it shake you.

3. Abuse
    -Depends on the platoon. No DI are "supposed" to hit you...but it happens. You might get kicked, thrown, slapped, punched, head butted, etc...If it gets out of hand, you can report it. Otherwise, let it slide, do what you're told, and it probably won't happen again.

4. Sleep Deprivation
    -This is fun. To **** with you, your DIs may assign you multiple Firewatch shifts every night, with a few hours between the shifts. i.e. Lights out at 2100, Firewatch at 2400 and 0300. Hence, you get no more than 3 hours of sleep at a time.

5. Long Waiting
    -Hurry up and wait. You'll sprint to one location, only to stand there motionless for 4 or more hours. Your back hurts, your feet hurt...but if you fidget or wobble around, you're fucked.

6. Mind Games
    -This is the worst. Get in shape and you can deal with the IT, PT, and Humping. Get your knowledge straight and you won't suffer for being stupid. Practice drill and it won't be your fault for fucking up the platoon.

Still...no one can avoid the mind games. You'll face the following:
    -Being forced to throw away your food
    -Repeatedly making and destroying your rack (this is really stressful for some reason)
    -Repeatedly organizing and destroying your footlocker (also really stressful)
    -Being forced to lose your shoes/boots/cammies/items in a huge pile with other recruits. Running/humping in wrong shoes sucks.
    -Being forced to move the racks around the squadbay. Those racks take four recruits to lift.
    -Eating/Drinking until you puke.
    -Anything a twisted DI can think of.

I had one sick **** that liked to make us all stand online in our skivvies (underwear), then trade underwear with the recruit next to you. Another liked to make us throw our toothbrushes and soap in a pile, then randomly retrieve one.

It really depends on the platoon and the DI. Some DIs are good men who simply want to turn you into a hardcore killing machine. Others are sick fucks who simply hate you.

Always remember that NO ONE gives a **** about you while you're in Boot Camp.

You aren't special. You don't deserve special treatment. No one cares what you think. No one will rescue you.

Realize that, and you'll be fine. Do what you're told as fast as possible, scream as loud as you can, run as hard as you can, do your best, and you'll make it without incident.

Half-ass, refuse to train, cop an attitude, act like a princess, and this will be the most miserable 13 weeks of your life. Hell, they may recycle you to phase I and force you to do it all over again.

And remember...the quickest way out of boot camp is to GRADUATE. Attempt suicide, claim injury/illness, refuse to train, claim homosexuality...try any of these, and your 13 weeks will turn into 6 months, a year, more.

If I haven't scared you out of enlisting, then good luck, stay strong, and Semper Fi. Once you make it through, you'll be a new, stronger person...and the experience and pride will stay with you forever.

Oorah.

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 4:04pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom.f
    If you tell your drill instructor "Make Me" on the first day, he will respect you and go easy on you the rest of your time in basic training.
    Why yes, this is very good advice, *snicker, snort*, your DI will think this is a real man, *snicker *, and probably make you a recruit squad leader * hahahahaha *, which is a cushy job as you can make all of the people in your squad do your work also. * runs into another room and laffs until tears come. gasps for breadth and walks back in * Why yes, this is a good plan.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast