Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 1:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm joining the Marines

I'm not sure about whether or not this is in the right section, pardon me if it's not.

I'm joining the Marines. I know a number of Bullshido users are in the military, and I wanted to ask if there's anything I should know. Anything experience you can tell me about that you think would help, or any advice you care to give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 2:08pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This depends on your job, but if it requires a security clearance, make sure everything you write down in terms of contact information is correct. The easier it is for them to contact your references, the faster you'll get it. In that respect, choose your references wisely.

Obviously it helps to come into boot camp already in shape. If you're not capable of running 3-5 miles at a decent pace at the very least, you might want to start running regularly. Practicing pull ups every day or every other day is both good for your overall body strength and to help you pass the eventual PFTs you have to take. If you've been doing MMA and Muay Thai for a reasonably long amount of time, MCMAP is going to be dreadfully boring for you. Finally, prepare yourself mentally to be in a place where the environment is purposely mentally and physically stressful. Make a point of finding other squared away folks to surround yourself with while there. You're more effective in keeping the other recruits in line when you work together, and it's always nice to have friends. Basically, just go in preparing yourself for the worst, and it won't be that bad at all.

I don't know if this is the kind of advice you wanted, but it's all I have to give. Most importantly, try to come in in good shape. If you're already in good shape when you come in, that's a major load off of your back. You can focus more on the important things, such as learning what you're being taught.

That's about it for me. I can't give you much specific advice about boot camp, because I'm in the Army.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 3:33pm

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will say this, and I've heard it from Marines as well, Basic (Boot Camp) was one of the most stressful times in my life, and one of the most fun. I will also echo the PT advice. The more you work now, the easier it will be down the line. Do Muscle Failure exercises every other day, at least three days a week. Run almost every day. Get your pushups, situps, and pullups up and your run time down, and things will be a lot easier down the road.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 4:37pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thought i didn't server my sister my brother inlaw and other firends who did said the most import thing to make life easier in boot is to be in shape. listen to what the first two posters said and you will be good.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dont do it.......go navy.....or airforce more laid back.....less stress.......more options to pick duty stations. more technical

dont know about airforce. but navy-wise....u wont have to get up at 5:00 am everyday to go do jumping jacks and silly pt exercises.

when u go on deployment in the navy ....an in some cases airforce....u get per diem, stay in barracks or hotels with maid service and go more places

army an marines dont really go to too many places besides aviation community. and if u in infantry your gonna be going on field exercises where ......

now think about this one for a while......where your living in a tent for 30-45 days......eatin MREs that give you the shits......no showers....your funky....stank.....baby wipes dont help that much..........dont do it

accelerate your life instead.........or uhh...cross into the blue lol.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 9:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Semper Fi

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 10:30pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They will not tell you the minimum amount of pullups you need to pass boot.

The answer is three, so don't sweat it too bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 1:50am

Style: TMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing six will also be good. Especially right into boot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 8:15am

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember that you've never touched drugs, not even experimental usage.

If you're intent on joining the Marines, then go infantry. Otherwise you're kinda half-assing it.

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 9:19am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Semper Fi.

1. Run, run and then run some more.
    2. Pull ups. I hate pull ups but get comfortable doing them.
    3. Talk to the recruiters and get stuff like general orders and other facts you can memorize ahead of time.
    4 Run some more.
    5. Make sure every knows not to send you goodies in boot camp. You will regret it.
    6. If you have any friends and relatives who were or are Marines do NOT let them know your address in boot camp. Talk/write to them before and after. Why? Because Jarheads are practical jokers. You will get mail with cute sayings on the outside or poogy bait on the inside and the DI's will make you suffer. This happened to someone when I was in boot camp. He hated mail call and the DI's loved it.
    7. Remember, you can make it through. It is very tough but no tougher than you can take if you put your mind to it. They want to make it hard but they want you to succeed.
    8. Parctice yelling stuff like "Sir, yes Sir" or "Aye Aye Sir" as loud as you can.
    9. Run some more.

Good luck, It is hard but worth it.

Oohrah!

:qleft5:
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast