Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 8:11pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sifu told me that I might just be extending too much -- I'm too intent on hitting the pads sometimes, and that attributes to the problem.

However, that's usually only when I'm tired.

Still, I think developing explosive power is probably something I should work on if I really want to get better at my striking, and general atheletic ability.

Thank you for all the responses again everyone, it's really informative.

However, I don't have a pull up rack. I think I might be able to improvise... But still, I lack barbells. I've been using free weights, so I hope that's alright.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also... these are some exercises that I've decided to add into my routine.

Deadlift:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wDTK8935GM

Snatch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRA_8jrlT3U

Clean (& Jerk? The only difference I'm noting between the Snatch and the clean is the way the legs are used for the Snatch):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKHNdMA23ZQ

Squats:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcR7E5cQB_w (I tried finding a Dumbbell Squat thing with Box Squat, but couldn't)

General Training I'm going to figure out so I can do it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4dH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd5eyufKZEo

Is this sufficient? Thank you for your help, fellas.

PS: This is without a diet, of course. I don't have any control over that, my parents cook most of the meals and I'm in my last year of highschool. So I usually just hope for the best -- fortunately, my dad's a professional chef, and my mother's no slouch either. Just, I can't really control what they feed me too well. XD

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gallantknight
    I was training at my dojo today and at the end of class my sifu approached me and told me that I had to work out more for 'explosive power.' More specifically, he told me that my jab and my cross were more of a 'push' than an a powerful impact.
    That definitely sounds like more of a technique issue than strength. If your wrists are a concern, I'd suggest wrapping them for support. Then you won't have to worry as much about hurting them and may be more likely to put more power into your punches.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Money said.

I cannot but as, gallant, what exactly happened to your wrists?

I had a problem with my right wrist in which I could not put my hands flat on the floor to do push ups. It took months of NSAIDs and daily icying for it to heal. So be careful. Wrists can take a lot of damage, but when they get injured, they take their sweet time to heal.

If you are going to embark in strenght training, make sure you wear weightlifiting wrist wraps, be it for bench presses, dumbell presses, or even squats (where your hands can take a lot of pressure as you keep the bar glued to your traps.)

I don't do push ups on my palms anymore. I stick to knuckle push ups,which surprisingly don't register a bleep in my wrists. Of course, I use a padded surface, like a folded towel or a rubber mat (since what I want is to do push ups and strenghten my wrists, not turning my knuckles into ground meat.)

On a rubber mat, if you wrists are strong enough, you can even do jumping push ups on your knuckles; that's what I do. Regardless of what route you choose to go, make sure to take good care of your wrists. Push ups with your hands flat on the floor may still put a lot of stress in your wrists, even if you don't feel anything, so keep your eyes open.

For weightlifting and bodyweight training for strenght and explosiveness, I suggest you also look at Ross Enamait's books "Infinite Intensity" and "Never Gymless".
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 5:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for what happened with my right wrist, I'd like to say that I have a definitive idea of exactly what it was, but all I know is that it only started hurting/bugging me while I trained with my old teacher, and after.

I don't want to be rude to my old teacher, so I'll leave out specifics of how he tried to train us -- let's just say it was good in theory, but wouldn't really work for us. Add that to the fact that we were sort of inexperienced when we first started out with him, and you've got the wrist problem that I have.

For some reason, my right pinky is also subject to this pain whenever I clasp my fist tightly.

Fortunately, I'm southpaw, so my cross doesn't really suffer XD. Still it's somewhat annoying, so I'm going to go see a chiropractor about it.

PS: I do wrap my wrists securely with my wraps, and I have a fairly good pair of boxing gloves. Do I have to invest in the tape too?

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 5:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you go to a chiro, ask him if he has equipment for "cold laser" therapy. Explain to him what happens, precisely. Some chiros have this type of equipment, in addition to pain-killer gels and stuff. A lot of the people that seek out spinal adjustment needs so because of some other injury that eventually caused them to have a spinal problem (.ie. tight muscles, injured shoulder blades, etc.)

And thus chiros end up having to deal with those type of injuries and happened to be equipped for them. It was my chiro who suggested to use "cold laser" therapy on my wrist, and that have an amazing effect in recovery.

Just food for thought. And good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Weak

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 8:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do one Plyo circuit (around 3 sets of 7-8 exercises) at the beginning of every week and hit it hard.

However I do find that after about 8 weeks on one program, my joints start feeling a little worn/tired. I tend to take 2 weeks off and continue with my other gym/MA training then create a slightly more advanced new 8 week Plyo circuit.

I am amazed at the results I have gained from Plyo as it was something I'd never focused on and its really taught me how to transfer my gains in strength into explosive power.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 9:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you elaborate on this 'cold laser' treatment?

Does it cost extra? The chiropractor place I go to is a rather small place that has always only used er, human resources to get things done. Like, they'll just use their hands and stuff to get things (like my ankle a while ago) in place and then put herbs onto it.

Posted On:
    11/13/2007 9:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, it doesn't cost extra. It may cost extra for some other chiros. The procedure is quite simple. The doc and I wear these dark goggles while he turn on a machine of sorts. It has what looks like a lightpoint pen attached to the machine with a cord.

Then he asks me where the pain in the wrist currently is. Then he proceeds to focus the laser in those areas. You don't feel much, just as if somebody is blowing a bit of air with a straw where the laser is hitting. The doc moves the laser as is drawing scribles around the affected area for about 5 to 10 minutes.

This procedure is repeated two or three times a week. After the second day of the first procedure, you begin to feel an improvement. Apparently it accelerates the healing process of ligaments. However, my chiro warns that it works for some pple but not for others, and it depends on the severity of the injury.

I think I'm the only patient he uses it for wrist injuries since he uses it mostly for neck, shoulder blade and rotator cuff injuries. On top of that you need to ice it daily to reduce inflamation. Even if pain is minor or only apparent when you flex the wrist, there is inflamation, and you need to ice it.

This was a Godsent for me since I spent months taking NSAIDs with no improvement. If your chiro charges extra, unless the price is beyond your reach, you should give it a try.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd really like to see some studies done on cold lasers, apparently the results so far have been inconclusive.

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/300_399/0363.html
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast