Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 12:36am

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Developing more Explosive Strength

I was training at my dojo today and at the end of class my sifu approached me and told me that I had to work out more for 'explosive power.' More specifically, he told me that my jab and my cross were more of a 'push' than an a powerful impact.

I haven't worked out seriously in a while due to wrist problems gleaned from an old instructor (my wrists have gotten much better -- I can do pushups now without feeling pain) but I don't really know how I can train this 'explosive power.'

I do shadowbox and kick for about 30 minutes a day, I swim for an hour every other day, and I do a bit of form work. Once in a while I do work out, I've been slowly trying to get back into it.

The school I go to now is CMA school that focuses on sparring, though there are still a few forms to learn here and there. It's not the focal point of the lesson, of course. I just do them for warm up and cool down.

Anyways, I was wondering -- how can I develop explosive power?

A PS -- I'm also wondering how I can gain a bit of muscle. I'm about 5"9 and only 150 pounds. =/ I have free weights and a machine that I can do some basic workout exercises on, like shoulder rows , leg press, and tricep press.

I do have some whey protein that I take after every workout -- but I'm currently now looking to get back into that.

Thank you for your help in advance!

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plyometrics, the Olympic lifts and their variations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 12:56am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 5' 11" and a 150lbs, so I know where you're coming from.

That said, you just need to work out like everybody else. I personally do a lot of core exercises -pullups & dips (weighted), squats and benching. I should add deadlifts into this, but I have no excuse for not doing them, and typing this right now is convincing me to change it this week.

In addition to this, you probably just need to eat more and better. I know from experience that diet is really essential to all kinds of strength. If I don't eat (and rest) enough, I don't perform as well in the gym, nor in class.

You can take whey protein, but I would try and just eat better regular food first before you start to add protein supplements. You probably don't need it just yet.

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 1:03am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is a book called explosive power a plyometric book for martial artists. check it out

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 7:00am

Style: WT/Xin Yi Liu He Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If all else fails, try the Systema method.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 7:23am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherChris
    If all else fails, try the Systema method.
    Uh???

Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    Plyometrics, the Olympic lifts and their variations.
    Pretty much this is the answer, and that's about it.

To the OP, search and study the threads in the Physical Training, Diet and Health Forums. How to gain weight and explosive strenght has already been discussed ad nauseum in that forum.

Just be careful with your wrists, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherChris
    More specifically, he told me that my jab and my cross were more of a 'push' than an a powerful impact.
    This sounds more like a problem with your technique than a lack of power. Has your sifu explained to you what's causing you do push rather than punch and how this can be corrected?
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 11/12/2007 7:32am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 7:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said that last part. :sad:

The Systema method is a universal training method for all aspects of martial arts wherein you consume copious amounts of lard.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you replace ice cream for lard, will that still be systema?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 7:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only if you down it with syrup, or lard.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 8:47am

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tons of plyometric pushups.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast