Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 8:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

PT for youngsters.

I've notice quite a bit of good information in here. I tend to not post because my knowledge pertains to swimming and that is about all.

As you can see my question would be what would be a good workout that my sons, soon to be 9 and 10, would do for football.

Maybe even one I can join in and get them motivated. I never lifted because it was never pressed at the time I was swimming. So, I basically got my strength from non equipment exercises.

My oldest is playing Junior Pee Wee. He plays free safety, punt/kick off return, full back, running back pretty much anywhere off the line.

My youngest is on the line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I figured I'd ask you guys because, I have some experienced people telling me my oldest is a natural and needs nurturing. If I can do that properly before I have to send him to camps (which made stuff not fun for me) maybe it will go somewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 9:17pm

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything I have ever been told about training youngsters suggests use of bodyweight exercises. Seeing as you said you got your own strength from non equipment exercises I imagine you would have a fair idea about creating a bodyweight training routine for your kids. It would also make sense to get your kids running. At young levels in sport, speed and fitness are normally the biggest factors on par with natural talent.

If you want some literature Children and Sports Training by Josef Drabik would be a good idea. I have never read the book but it comes recomended from Jim Wendler and that man knows his stuff.

The book can be purchased here:
    http://www.elitefts.com/

and the review can be found here:
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/top_5_books.htm

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 9:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, they do quite a bit of running.

You are right about speed being more important then strength at this level. Thanks for the links.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mark Rippetoe's book "Practical Programming for Strength Training" address a lot of the issues regarding training the youth. Children as young as six can actively participate in weight training, as long as they are supervised by an adult and maintain correct form on all exercises. If you two are really interested in some weight training, you might consider maybe getting a PT session together and learning the correct form on "money" exercises like pressing, squatting, deadlifting, and even some olympic lifts. Laying the foundation for your son at a young age will make him leaps and bounds above those starting later, and allow him to spend his youth learning the "skill" of weight training so that, when strength becomes an issue, more time can be spending obtaining it rather than learning the proper technique first.

However, if it's all just for fun, there's not really too much of a point, as RB said, speed and skill would most likely be a better investment. Just know that when I have a kid, they're gonna have weights in their crib =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 12:21am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, they'll have poo in their crib first.

Thanks.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Yeah, they'll have poo in their crib first.

Thanks.
    I imagine all the protein powder would have such an adverse effect on their digestive systems...
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 5:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bump.

Okay so, he is getting to the age of weightlifting. He is going to my old Junior High and they have a weight room and a football team. Of course I'm going to get the curriculum and see what some of you have to say. I was listening to a radio program and forgot the name but, they suggested knees strengthening exercise to help prevent sports injuries.

Trying to locate the name and jog my memory I ran across this website.
    http://www.weight-lifting-complete.c...exercises.html
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...1555-0,00.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 7:58pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agility exercises. Activities that enhance proprioception. As a former swimmer, you know how important the "feel" for the water is. It's that important in other sports. It's the basis for when the receiver just throws up his body and knows exactly when/where to drag that toe. The "blind" catch. Things like that, where you're saying "Wow, how did he know to do that?"

The more they learn to control their bodies and listen to what their body is telling them, the better everything else that they do with their bodies will be.

John