Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 7:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "States of the EGO"

What you Want, and What you Need. The division of ego is "I" or "ME". You have to define what "me" is and what "I" is. While you may rearly find yourself saying Me wants or me needs. It might be due to that helps check you mind state. I want and I need is common. I is the ego. For I to succed you need to develop first 'my(me) needs' should be first meet. Improve the whole being first than tear peoples face off so you can understand why you do it.

In the end the 'EGO' is always present. It is either one or the other 'I' or 'ME'. No that is not some psychology, it is what defines the ego.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 8:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forgetit
    "States of the EGO"

What you Want, and What you Need. The division of ego is "I" or "ME". You have to define what "me" is and what "I" is. While you may rearly find yourself saying Me wants or me needs. It might be due to that helps check you mind state. I want and I need is common. I is the ego. For I to succed you need to develop first 'my(me) needs' should be first meet. Improve the whole being first than tear peoples face off so you can understand why you do it.

In the end the 'EGO' is always present. It is either one or the other 'I' or 'ME'. No that is not some psychology, it is what defines the ego.
    Despite your best crack-pot impression I think I see where you're going with this. "I need to throw the most powerful jab." could be an I sort of thought. I guess a 'me' one would be more like "I need to feel my punches increasing in power."

Unless you've just run circles around me in e-sarcasm. In which case, screw you troll. Back to the deeping lakes of reaming fire.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 9:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's simple, just remember that in class you're playing to learn not playing to win.

IRL I'm also so laid back it's actually dangerous to leave me in charge of heavy machinery, so that helps (I take all my aggression out on the internet, and the hobo I have chained in my cellar).

"IT RUBS THE LOTION ON IT'S SKIN"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 7:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    It's simple, just remember that in class you're playing to learn not playing to win.

IRL I'm also so laid back it's actually dangerous to leave me in charge of heavy machinery, so that helps (I take all my aggression out on the internet, and the hobo I have chained in my cellar).

Good advice, again. You're right, if I was kicking ass already I'd be wasting my money.

Actually I'm thinking of combining everything you mentioned into one massive stress reducer. ego abandonment + heavy machinery + rage slavery + webcam = probably the single most fucked up way to get into nirvana. I wonder if there's already an Anti-buddha?

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 10:40am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by streanor
    :5crackup: lol. That'll bruise my ego. I'm not sure it'll kill it though.
    That's what I do. Every time my ego starts acting up, I go find some really, really good guys and spar with them. When I get crushed down, it's a pretty damn good reminder for me to shut the **** up and train right. This tends to work better when your partner is punching you in the face, rather than just throwing you or something.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 12:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite your best crack-pot impression I think I see where you're going with this. "I need to throw the most powerful jab." could be an I sort of thought. I guess a 'me' one would be more like "I need to feel my punches increasing in power."
    Yes, that is what I mean develop the thinking it will do you more in the end. The anger is coming up because you have not dealt with this type issue before. Everybody has that same feeling.

When hitting the bag we often mistake subjective trianing ideas for reality. So get a partener and find out what they do when they fight you.

The boxing workouts are excellent, I think of all the training I have ever done boxing for physical training is the best.

It also has more realistic practice's of the styles of fighting than any form of fighting includeing bjj. Good luck with the boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 2:01pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    every time I go tip-tap on the heavy bag only to have one of the more advanced students come up and tear it apart I feel like I want to take their face off.
    Geez, take a breath. Everyone started out the same way. Likely those guys didn't pop out of the womb tearing up the heavy bag. They did their reps, put in their time in the gym and paid their time and sweat dues.

Its just going to take time.

Worry about what you have to do to get better - not about what anyone can or can't do.

Has anyone else had this problem? How have you managed to put your ego aside so you can advance?
    Knowing that I can't do anything to make someone else get worse all I can do is work to make myself better.

On a related point, how long did it take you guys to develop good technique? I've still got poor co-ordination, **** balance, and little power behind my punches. Maybe I won't feel so self-conscious if I'm not too far behind the curve.
    Technique development is an ongoing thing. There's always something you can tweak.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 2:14pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze

...or else it gets the hose again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oij377lgzs

Put the lotion in the fucking basket... mmmmm.....mmmm...mmm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 2:21pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to get this every once in a while early on in my Muay Thai classes, and like you, it seemed to affect me more when punching the bags than with any other training activity. I think it's because of the solitary nature of bag work, plus the fact that you're pretty visible, so everybody can see how hard you are punching the bags. I noticed that it happened more when there was somebody near by punching another bag. Never had the same sort of ego thing when training pad work with another person, though, so I really think it was only caused by solitary bag work. You might try finding a bag to hit that is not front-and-center, or at least not next to someone else training. At least until your skill improves somewhat and you don't feel self-conscious punching the bag in front of others.

You are on the right track, just being aware of your feelings though. Remember that overdoing it early will just get you hurt. There is no shame in hitting the bags lightly in the early stages to make sure you get the technique down right. If it helps. watching someone hit the bags full force with bad technique probably looks worse than someone hitting the bags lightly. Keep that in mind, plus the fact that everyone started where you are starting at one time.

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 2:26pm

Style: Very Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't go for power when you are just starting out. Sometimes I don't even hit the bag but I just practice my form and make sure that I'm doing it right so in the future I won't have any bad habits to root out. Plus once you get the technique down, the power will come to you much easier
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast