Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 11:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you keep the ego out of the gym

I started training boxing a month ago and though I enjoy it a lot I'm having trouble relaxing in class. I'm certainly not behaving inapproprately, or anything but every time I go tip-tap on the heavy bag only to have one of the more advanced students come up and tear it apart I feel like I want to take their face off. The funny thing is, in normal life I'm not a very competitive person at all. When I was just lifting and cross training I didn't care at all who was more fit than me or whatever, I was just having fun. Now that I'm in the boxing gym, though I'm aware of this overwhelming urge to kick ass and drink the blood of my enemies.

Has anyone else had this problem? How have you managed to put your ego aside so you can advance?

On a related point, how long did it take you guys to develop good technique? I've still got poor co-ordination, **** balance, and little power behind my punches. Maybe I won't feel so self-conscious if I'm not too far behind the curve.

I hope this isn't too specific to be of use to others.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by streanor
    I started training boxing a month ago and though I enjoy it a lot I'm having trouble relaxing in class. I'm certainly not behaving inapproprately, or anything but every time I go tip-tap on the heavy bag only to have one of the more advanced students come up and tear it apart I feel like I want to take their face off. The funny thing is, in normal life I'm not a very competitive person at all. When I was just lifting and cross training I didn't care at all who was more fit than me or whatever, I was just having fun. Now that I'm in the boxing gym, though I'm aware of this overwhelming urge to kick ass and drink the blood of my enemies.

Has anyone else had this problem? How have you managed to put your ego aside so you can advance?
    You need to relax dude. Concentrate in getting better, not on how you perform compared to others who are your senior. They also started from zero, like you. And they put the time and effot to get where they are. If you do the same, you will accomplish the same.

That's what you need to think about. It's ok to be competitive, but don't let it get the best of you. Relax :)

On a related point, how long did it take you guys to develop good technique? I've still got poor co-ordination, **** balance, and little power behind my punches. Maybe I won't feel so self-conscious if I'm not too far behind the curve.

I hope this isn't too specific to be of use to others.
    Bro, you only have one month of training. Relax and be patient. From what I understand and heard of boxing, even with a year of training, a boxer is just scratching the surface in getting decent skills.

Instead of focusing on how long it will take you to get decent skills, why don't you flip the coin? That is, consider this: Now you now know that you have a lot to work on. Furthermore, you should know that you are better now that you were a month ago, even if bit a little.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 12:27pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spar with some of the advanced students.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    You need to relax dude. Concentrate in getting better, not on how you perform compared to others who are your senior. They also started from zero, like you. And they put the time and effot to get where they are. If you do the same, you will accomplish the same.

That's what you need to think about. It's ok to be competitive, but don't let it get the best of you. Relax :)

Bro, you only have one month of training. Relax and be patient. From what I understand and heard of boxing, even with a year of training, a boxer is just scratching the surface in getting decent skills.

Instead of focusing on how long it will take you to get decent skills, why don't you flip the coin? That is, consider this: Now you now know that you have a lot to work on. Furthermore, you should know that you are better now that you were a month ago, even if bit a little.
    You're right, of course. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and how they got over themselves. Your right that now I know somewhat what I need to work one, and that's a very good thing. I guess I just have to work on the whole delayed gratification thing ... like an adult.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 1:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golsa
    Spar with some of the advanced students.
    :5crackup: lol. That'll bruise my ego. I'm not sure it'll kill it though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 1:14pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :5crackup: lol. That'll bruise my ego. I'm not sure it'll kill it though.
    haha, well really you'll find it goes away with time. The as you learn more about your art you'll also learn how little you really know, if that makes any sense.

:)

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you see someone murderize the bag...try to enjoy it, because you can aquire the ability and stamina to do the same over time.

Emotionally, I try to enjoy the sum of what's going on in totality. That way I'm not comparing myself to each and every guy/gal training...that would be depressing. I can hold my own, but won't set myself up by expecting to own a pro or good amateur fighter without some heavy punishment over time (eons).

Taking a beating from someone with real class, is exposing you to superb technique, that can then be used on other poor fools. All of my good habits came from eating ugly shots, and not wanting another...ever. I imagine it's like that for a lot of people.

I'm just waiting for more beatings, so I can improve again. Don't let one month define anything. If you still feel this way after a year, then look closely at what's going on...but a month is barely time for your body to even become aware something's changed in the demands made upon it. Keep at it.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 2:03pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time someone asks this with so little training I want to ask them how long it took them to learn how to walk or run or jump? Coordination doesn't magically appear because you started training "alive" It takes years to be able to snap a perfect jab and instantly know the range of your opponent. In fact if you have less than a year training you are probably better off with a wait and see approach or just asking your coach.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 2:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is this even in Strikestan? Just because it has something to do with boxing???!!??

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 6:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Why is this even in Strikestan? Just because it has something to do with boxing???!!??
    I suppose it could apply equally well in Guantanemo. I just wanted the opinions of people working in a style, training evironment similar to be. If you think it belongs in general discussion, my aplogies. And if it's to the pit with me, I promise to take outmore of them then they do of me.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast