Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BALEETED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Burning Belly Fat

Hey guys, I've been on a diet since April 2007. I went from 305 lbs down to 220 lbs. Most of the weight I've lost has come from my legs, chest and face but my belly remains the jiggle fest itís always been. Of course during this time Iíve suffered from a little bit of muscle loss, so to compensate...(or at least slow it down) Iíve started some moderate weight training 4 days a week. In the 3 weeks Iíve been lifting, I've definitely noticed a more defined look in my shoulders and chest but the belly fat remains completely unchanged. I'm still on a calorie defect so I know the muscle gains are just from the started of a new routine and Iím not so concerned about that. I just need some help/advice on how to help burn that stubborn meat skirt.
    Thanks

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group1 year registeredTagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Japuma630
    ...Most of the weight I've lost has come from my legs, chest and face but my belly remains the jiggle fest itís always been...
    I'm no way an expert, but I've got a biology teacher's degree, so here we go:

Fat goes away from wherever your body decides to make it go away.

You can't really influence that. By some twist of nature, the belly-fat tends to be the last fatman standing...

So you'll just have to keep on training, and one day (I'm waiting for it too)...

Or, of course, you can stop eating completely, that should do it. ;-) Some experts warn though, that depending on your actual shape/weight, you might die of hunger before you see your six pack again...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 2:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tonuzaba is correct, "spot reduction" is a fitness myth. My initial reactions to the OP:

1. Why are you still working at a calorie deficit? It seems to me that you want to kick-start your metabolism to help you lose weight, and that's not going to happen with a calorie deficit. When I shed 40 pounds, I ate. And regularly. You just have to eat the right portions of the right things.

2. Increase the exercize, maybe add some cardio. There is always the eternal debate about it, but hey, a combo of cardio and weights worked for me. My weight training was more intensive, I suspect, but you need to work up to that. You'll need to increase the intensity of the weights at the very least.

Welterweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 2:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is I still need to lose more weight, thats why I am still in a defict. I'm not trying to spot reduce, I am just trying to find if there is a more effecent way to reduce belly fat (or all types of fat) such adding more cardio, decrease weight training, increase weight training, ect. I'm know theres no secret excercise or technique that would just reduce my tummy. Would eating at a more regular level help burn fat over all better? Or would staying with what I am doing be better? Like i said i've only been that gym for about 3 weeks now.
    Last edited by Japuma630; 11/09/2007 2:50pm at .

Welterweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been trying to get rid of the old meat skirt my self. It is pretty much like gangrelchilde said. You need cardio and weights. I have found that I need to run along with weight training to help shed that unwanted spare tire. It don't just disappear it takes alot of hard work to actually see some improvements. The weight training will burn fat even after your session is over so it is a must. The running well that is the icing on the cake together they will help reduce body fat.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It takes a lot of effort, and a long, long time to get rid of belly fat, or excess body fat for that matter.

One thing for certain is that you cannot work on a caloric deficit for long. Some people can substain it longer than others, but at some point, the human body is going to go "oh ****, oh ****, we are in a famine. must dissolve muscle tissue and turn it to body fat as a reserve when **** hits the fan."

It's hard to tell what to do. Can you be very specific in what you eat, when and how often. That is, can you provide to us a breakdown of each and every meal, snack, supplement or drink (even coffee) that you take, in general, every day?

You can't go on a diet forever, though. Remember that.

Also, another thing is that 3 weeks of moderate training is just scratching the surface. It takes months to see drastic results. You should be patient. As you said yourself, you have seen improvements already. At some point, you'll want to increase the intensity while watching what you eat.

Give yourself goals such as working out harder/more often or eat better and keep doing that consistently for, say, 6 weeks. Then, your goal will be to train harder/smarter for another 6 weeks, and so on and so on.

Noticeable changes will occur in a matter of weeks. Drastic improvements, however, they take months. Focus on staying on course and take measurements and observations every 2 months or so.

And those observations should not only be on how you look, but also on how you feel, how stronger you have become, or how much more endurance you have achieved, blood pressure levels, etc.

If you try to focus on making a drastic reduction in abdominal fat in just a mere weeks, you are going to set yourself to failure. Think of it mid/long term.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 3:56pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gangrelchilde
    1. Why are you still working at a calorie deficit? It seems to me that you want to kick-start your metabolism to help you lose weight, and that's not going to happen with a calorie deficit. When I shed 40 pounds, I ate. And regularly. You just have to eat the right portions of the right things.
    That's actually dead on. Only thing I can add is that when dieting you need to shock your metabolism every once and a while. Just like working out (and with psychological stimuli even) your body will habituate to conditions if they constantly remain the same. Work something into your diet every 7-10 days where you eat more calories than normal. When I was on a weight loss diet 3 years ago I used Sunday morning as my shock day and had doughnuts with biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 4:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Five weeks ago I started the "Body for Life" program. I'm not in the official challenge, just the workout and their nutrition plan. Six days of rotating weights and cardio, eating 5-6 meals a day, and one day a week off (like the shock day mentioned above). I'm consuming about 2600 calories/ 298g carbs/ 295g protein/ 27.5g fat per day.

At the beginning of October I weighed roughly 260. The disappointing thing is that I still weigh right around 256-258; the ENCOURAGING thing is that I have lost between 4-5% body fat, including three inches off my keg, and added some muscle. People are noticing changes and that has been more than enough to push me onward.

I wouldn't short yourself on the calories, just make sure that what is in the calories is what you want going into your muscles. And drink plenty of water - you hear different amounts, but I shoot for 120oz a day. Water helps your metabolism more than you might realize.

But whether you end up losing the gut or not, congratulations on what you've done so far. Keep it up.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also recommend the OP to purchase Ross Enamait's books (Infinite Intensity and Never Gymless). I'm not sure if the OP is currently engaged in martial arts and combat sports, but I'm sure that Ross' work provides an excellent roadmap for fitness.

I look back at all the years I fumbled at the gyms and wasting my money in fitness magazines. I'm absolutely certain that my life and health would have been a lot better if I have had access to material of such quality as Ross' back in 1992.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Welterweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 4:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My daily routine/diet: Wake up @ 5:30, eat toast with smart balance @ 6:00, 115 calories, go to work, Coffee with splenda <5 calories, Eat a can of Light Chunk Tuna @ 10:00, 125 calories, another can @ 12:30, 125 calories, Get home @ 4:00, Eat a snack (fruit, veggie, ect.) 300 calories, Go work out @ 4:30 (Moderate to high weight/good pace - upper body on mondays and Thursdays - Lower body on Tuesday and Fridays - Cardio on Wednesday and Saturday - Rest on Sunday), Eat dinner (chicken breast with pasta, ect.) 450 Calories, Eat a snack (yogurt or fruit) 150 Calories. Sleep. Rinse. Repeat. Usally I cheat on sundays with some kind of sub, pizza, beer combo, not over board though.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast