Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 4:32pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing about straight over the counter GABA stuff is it won't cross the blood-brain barrier so its a waste of money. A prescription benzo (xanax, valium, and so on) will cross the blood-brain barrier and bind to the GABA-receptors, but you'll build dependency on these pretty quickly.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does GABA need to cross the blood brain barrier to work for its clming effect? No. I have used it a few times in both pills from GNC and bulk powder, it works.

It may not work for increasing GH levels unless it crosses the blood brain barrier, but it definitely can calm you down and make sleep easier. It will also give you the annoying tingling effect ~10 minutes after you take it.

Take 2 grams to see how it affects you to start and go up from there, I take about ~4grams to get a good effect, but I use it once in a blue moon. If you take too much, more than your personal tolerance, you will just itch for an hour and sleep will be impossible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 5:45pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I don't know what GABA and growth hormones have to do with sleep, but for GABA to work as a sleep agent it needs to cross the blood-brain barrier so it can bind to its receptors and act as an inhibitory neurotransmitter. Over the counter straight/pure/what ever GABA can't do that. I honestly don't know enough about GABA's relationship to growth hormones to comment on that.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well some BBer's take GABA because they say it increases GH levels. Others say it dosen't increase GH levels because it does not cross the BBB. Honestly it has nothing to do with sleep I just thought you may have been assuming that because GABA does not increase GH for bodybuilders that it just dosen't work for anything.

GABA does not have to cross the BBB to help you sleep. I use it and it works, you feel calm and relaxed. I don't know how it works but it does. Just because it does not bind to the GABA receptors does not mean that ingesting GABA does not have other effects.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 9:59pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying that you need to look into Solotron. Like I said, it's generic GNC one-a-day. I just find (and I don't normally take pills, so that may have a lot to do with it) that it has positively reinforced my sleeping habits.

I don't take many pills, even tylenol and advil are iffy for me, so that may have a lot of bearing on why it's so effective for me, but I seriously think that diet and good vitamin distribution should handle a lot of problems.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123