222453 Bullies, 4392 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 25
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. streanor is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    11/09/2007 9:36am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Melatonin should only be taken once in a while. I became dependant quickly after a few days and it can make insomnia worse. Use it once or 2x a week is fine.

    GABA is nice to. After you take it you will get a skin flush(tingling, oins and needles) for a bit and then you feel very calm. It dosen't make you fall asleep, it makes it easier to relax and fall asleep. I love it sometimes.

    Make an effort not to use your room or the bed for non sleep activities. Do not sit on your bed and go over bills, do homework, make phone calls, etc. You want to keeo your bed a stress free area. Doing those things in your room may be neccessary for some reason but do NOT do that stuff on your bed. Your bed is for sleeping, not stress.

    Stay away from video, it can suck you in and keep you awake like a zombie even when you are tired. Stop all internet and TV at a set time at night, that can help. Reading a book or magazine is better.

    Also, more cardio may not be the answer. Go over your routines and see if you may be overtrained. Even if your physical activities (gym/MA) are not enough to get you overtrained, witrh the addition of stress and maybe a poor diet (stress can lead to compulsive eating I think) you may not be recovering from your workouts.

    Overtraining can kill your sleep habits.
    Thanks for all the advice Li. How else can I tell if I'm overtraining? I did go from seriously sedentary to training at least 4 days a week about 3 months ago. I've had a couple minor injuries since then, and I noticed when I took 10 days off to go see my girlfriend I started getting all kinds of weird aches and pains (esp. joints). Might this be a sign of overtraining. I try to be careful not to work a muscle group more than twice a week, but maybe I need to slow down.

    I'm a writer and I often spend my whole work day sitting on the edge of my bed. I'll try to get out of that habit. Also teh internet addiction. I can't promise to try, but I'll try to try. Thanks again.
  2. streanor is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    11/09/2007 9:38am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldchampion!
    Previous posters have covered most of the ground already, I do have trouble with sleep myself, and haven't conquered it yet. But what has helped me is listening to when your body wants to go to sleep, if you're tired at 11' o clock, and you just go "oh, I'll just do this and this before" then perhaps at 12 'o clock when you do to bed, you have overcome that sense of sleepiness and it doesn't come back until much later.

    As for sleep medication, you should really consult with a *good* doctor, not someone that automatically just gives you lots of prescriptions when you mention something. (note that I come from a country with general health insurance, I have a lot of choice in doctors, or more than other people might, you might be suck with whatever you can get, I have no idea)
    Great advice, I'll try to be more aware. As far as good doctors go I'm pretty much SOL in Beijing these days. Even the foreign clinics are more interested in pumping you full of medicine than anything else. You have to argue with them to get a proper exam b/c the government puts a cap on what they can charge for actual procedures but no cap on what they can charge for juicing you. It's ridiculous.
  3. cyril is offline
    cyril's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    831

    Posted On:
    11/09/2007 9:55am


     Style: No-Gi BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it's weird, but if you're not taking a supplement in the morning, do it. I've noticed that since I've started taking the generic SOLOTRON by GNC, that I've been having much more regular sleep patterns, to the point of predictability.

    I'd suggest you find a way to balance your energy output during the day.
  4. LI GUY 1 is offline
    LI GUY 1's Avatar

    GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,561

    Posted On:
    11/09/2007 10:41am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Symptoms of overtraining include: constant soreness, soreness that lasts longer than usual, decrease in athletic performance (your lifts go down, can't hit the bag as long etc.), restlessness, increased resting pulse, illness, more frequent injuries, things take longer to heal.

    Overtraining is sometimes referred to as overtraining syndrome, it is not a specific thing, it is a host of problems caused by your body being overworked for too long. If you feel you are overtrained, take a week off and make sure you eat properly, stretch, do some light cardio once a day.

    You should also be taking a multi a day, everyone should. I don't think it matters when you take it, just take one.

    I doubt it is a matter of supplements, its about changing your lifestyle for the better.

    Get a desk to write. Some people just can't separate work/pleasure if it is not separated physically.

    I assume you are not native to China by your posts. If so when did you move there and where did you live last?

    Lastly, we are all addicted to this damned internet, it beckons us with its warm glow.
  5. streanor is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    11/10/2007 11:53am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Symptoms of overtraining include: constant soreness, soreness that lasts longer than usual, decrease in athletic performance (your lifts go down, can't hit the bag as long etc.), restlessness, increased resting pulse, illness, more frequent injuries, things take longer to heal.

    Overtraining is sometimes referred to as overtraining syndrome, it is not a specific thing, it is a host of problems caused by your body being overworked for too long. If you feel you are overtrained, take a week off and make sure you eat properly, stretch, do some light cardio once a day.

    You should also be taking a multi a day, everyone should. I don't think it matters when you take it, just take one.

    I doubt it is a matter of supplements, its about changing your lifestyle for the better.

    Get a desk to write. Some people just can't separate work/pleasure if it is not separated physically.

    I assume you are not native to China by your posts. If so when did you move there and where did you live last?

    Lastly, we are all addicted to this damned internet, it beckons us with its warm glow.
    Those don't describe my symptoms as far as I can tell. In general, I've never been healthier. I do have one small injury that won't go away, but that's been going on for months.

    I'll definitely check out a multi at my pharmacy, hell I'm in the land of herbal medicine.

    I'm from D.C. originally. Came over from Ohio (where I went to college) almost 2 years ago to learn the language. Probably be heading home soon.

    As far as work habits go, that's a good point taken.
  6. streanor is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    11/10/2007 11:55am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    I know it's weird, but if you're not taking a supplement in the morning, do it. I've noticed that since I've started taking the generic SOLOTRON by GNC, that I've been having much more regular sleep patterns, to the point of predictability.

    I'd suggest you find a way to balance your energy output during the day.
    Easier said than done. The balancing energy thing at least. I suspect Solotron is easier done than said.
  7. cyril is offline
    cyril's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    831

    Posted On:
    11/11/2007 9:08am


     Style: No-Gi BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by streanor
    Easier said than done. The balancing energy thing at least. I suspect Solotron is easier done than said.
    I'm not saying that it's a cure all, but that is the problem. Energy balance is a tough thing to do, but you came to bullshido to complain about doing tough things? I'd guess that my taking solotron has helped me use my energy during the day to the point where I actually NEED to sleep at 11. Whereas before it was a case of me wanting to be asleep by 11, so I'll go out and burn it up really quick and make sure that I can get in the sack by then.

    It's not so much that I'm more energetic or more exausted, at night, but I feel like I've used everything I'm supposed to have during the day. Makes for better sleep, in my opinion.

    Supplement changes are easy. Solotron was like $10 for a 60 day supply. Take with food in the morning. What the hell do you have to complain about?
  8. streanor is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    64

    Posted On:
    11/11/2007 9:27am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    I'm not saying that it's a cure all, but that is the problem. Energy balance is a tough thing to do, but you came to bullshido to complain about doing tough things? I'd guess that my taking solotron has helped me use my energy during the day to the point where I actually NEED to sleep at 11. Whereas before it was a case of me wanting to be asleep by 11, so I'll go out and burn it up really quick and make sure that I can get in the sack by then.

    It's not so much that I'm more energetic or more exausted, at night, but I feel like I've used everything I'm supposed to have during the day. Makes for better sleep, in my opinion.

    Supplement changes are easy. Solotron was like $10 for a 60 day supply. Take with food in the morning. What the hell do you have to complain about?
    Thanks for the advice, Cyril. I'll look into solotron. I wasn't really doubting its usefulness just commenting on it being kind of a silly name. No harm done.

    And no, I didn't come to Bullshido to bitch about things being hard. I came to laugh at frauds.
  9. mad_malk is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boynton
    Posts
    507

    Posted On:
    11/11/2007 9:37am


     Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well i have insomnia as well and the number 1 thing i found that works wounders is Gong to bed at around the same time every night but MOST important i found for my self was getting up at the same time every day. so even if i miss a sleep cycle it's relitivly easy to get back in to it. then if i start to feel tired around noon i simply go for a run or do pushup's sit ups etc. to wake my self up.
  10. LI GUY 1 is offline
    LI GUY 1's Avatar

    GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,561

    Posted On:
    11/11/2007 2:00pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt a Solotron will be any different from any other multi vitamin. It is a good suggestion and everyone can use a multi, but I don't know if it produces very noticeable changes.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.