Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 4:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Insomnia getting in the way of training/ trying to gain weight

I can't get a regular nights sleep for **** and it affects everything I do, obviously including training. I though getting in shape would set me straight and it's helped but I still can't sleep sometimes for days at a time. So what can I do? You guys seem reasonable, and the internet is chock full of contradictory advice.

I lift twice a week for an hour, box twice a week for two hours yoga every other day and at least 1 day a week of full rest. I'm thinking of upping my strength training in coordination with my coach. I've been lifting for about 3 months and boxing for one and I've seen good results but I'm sure they'd be better if I could rely on a good night's sleep. Is there something I can add to my routine that might result in more fatigue?

More cardio might be an answer but I'm trying to put on weight (5' 10" 135 lbs) and get into serious fighting condition. Also I'm trying to eat more to put on the weight, but if I eat ANYTHING after early bird type dinner time I'm wired all night. Is there a healthy bedtime snack that won't leave me feeling like doing push-ups at 5 AM?

I'm thinking about going back to Zopiclone (I think it's called Lunesta in the US). Are there any bad effects I should know about if I'm popping it long-term?

I see there are some insomnia threads, but none that I thought addressed my situation. Thanks.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 5:49pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask a doctor, not a bunch of knuckleheads on the internet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 11:03pm

Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a doctor and I've never taken medication for insomnia so I can't speak about any of that, but having had issues with insomnia before here are some simple things I can recommend:

1. Make sure that when you lay down to go to sleep, the room is as close to pitch black as you can get it. That means no TV, no lamps, no computer, and even digital alarm clocks have to go. If for some reason you can't replace a digital clock, then at least turn the display away from you.

2. Vigorous regular exercise will work wonders.

3. This may be just my experience, but I've found that really sticking to a clean diet and eliminating junk food has greatly improved my ability to get to sleep, and my energy balance in general. Also, if you drink coffee, soda, or a lot of tea, cut back or quit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 11:43pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dunno if you can get it in china or not, but here in the states a supplement called melatonin that helps with getting sleep is readily available. Its the exact hormone that your body uses to make you go to sleep.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 5:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do yu have a lot of stress? Are ou out of a job or hae financial stress right now? Family problems? Stress can mess you up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 8:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Do yu have a lot of stress? Are ou out of a job or hae financial stress right now? Family problems? Stress can mess you up.
    Yeah, I'm trying to switch into a new career, apply for grad schools, blah blah blah etc etc. I'm under a lot of stress.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 8:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by golsa
    dunno if you can get it in china or not, but here in the states a supplement called melatonin that helps with getting sleep is readily available. Its the exact hormone that your body uses to make you go to sleep.
    I've been taking it, and it's helped for everyday restlessness but not for the occasional bout of full on wide-awake insomnia like I've been having recently

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 8:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaii
    I'm not a doctor and I've never taken medication for insomnia so I can't speak about any of that, but having had issues with insomnia before here are some simple things I can recommend:

1. Make sure that when you lay down to go to sleep, the room is as close to pitch black as you can get it. That means no TV, no lamps, no computer, and even digital alarm clocks have to go. If for some reason you can't replace a digital clock, then at least turn the display away from you.

2. Vigorous regular exercise will work wonders.

3. This may be just my experience, but I've found that really sticking to a clean diet and eliminating junk food has greatly improved my ability to get to sleep, and my energy balance in general. Also, if you drink coffee, soda, or a lot of tea, cut back or quit.
    I've been doing numbers 2 and 3 already but number 1 is worth a shot. I'll try it tonight.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Melatonin should only be taken once in a while. I became dependant quickly after a few days and it can make insomnia worse. Use it once or 2x a week is fine.

GABA is nice to. After you take it you will get a skin flush(tingling, oins and needles) for a bit and then you feel very calm. It dosen't make you fall asleep, it makes it easier to relax and fall asleep. I love it sometimes.

Make an effort not to use your room or the bed for non sleep activities. Do not sit on your bed and go over bills, do homework, make phone calls, etc. You want to keeo your bed a stress free area. Doing those things in your room may be neccessary for some reason but do NOT do that stuff on your bed. Your bed is for sleeping, not stress.

Stay away from video, it can suck you in and keep you awake like a zombie even when you are tired. Stop all internet and TV at a set time at night, that can help. Reading a book or magazine is better.

Also, more cardio may not be the answer. Go over your routines and see if you may be overtrained. Even if your physical activities (gym/MA) are not enough to get you overtrained, witrh the addition of stress and maybe a poor diet (stress can lead to compulsive eating I think) you may not be recovering from your workouts.

Overtraining can kill your sleep habits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 9:10am

Style: BJJ/MMA - running away

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Previous posters have covered most of the ground already, I do have trouble with sleep myself, and haven't conquered it yet. But what has helped me is listening to when your body wants to go to sleep, if you're tired at 11' o clock, and you just go "oh, I'll just do this and this before" then perhaps at 12 'o clock when you do to bed, you have overcome that sense of sleepiness and it doesn't come back until much later.

As for sleep medication, you should really consult with a *good* doctor, not someone that automatically just gives you lots of prescriptions when you mention something. (note that I come from a country with general health insurance, I have a lot of choice in doctors, or more than other people might, you might be suck with whatever you can get, I have no idea)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast