223738 Bullies, 4122 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a moocher who cheats Bullshido out of much needed funds.

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NEWB: Judo and Kids.... how old is old enough?

I know it depends on the individual kid but I was wondering what some of your experiences were with this. My son in 7 1/2 and wants to take judo as well. I am all for it but I have my doubts about him paying enough attention.

So in general are 7 to 8 year olds mature enough to take Judo and learn? If not what is a good age to start?

thanks again and that will be the end of my newb questions for the day :-)

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it depends on the instructer a great deal. I started when I was 7 and it was a school club. Our instructer was clever enough to use grappling games well, king of the hill and british bulldog were on retrospect really good!

It might help training with a friend as well as I found that helped attendance.

So my advice is to check out the club and go watch a lesson, and see what your son reckons as well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7 is fine. But like Jadon said, alot of it depends on the instructor.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 7:29pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say seven is definitely old enough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 11:16pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do it. Its way better than him sitting around playing video games or what ever. Martial arts instructors are usually great about teaching kids not to fight unless they have to. That and giving him 2-3 days a week of time dedicated to fighting in a controlled environment will do wonders when the horrible teenage years roll around. He'll know what can happen in a real fight because he's spent several years fighting as a hobby, but be able to defend himself at the same time. And like I said in the other thread, he'll be a light year ahead of the other kids when he gets old enough for the wrestling team and get all the chicks.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/10/2007 7:39am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ideally I would like to have 10-11 year olds start Judo but I will take them at 8. The point you should be worried about is fine motor skills versus gross motor skills. A very simple test is have your son throw a ball. If he throws like a ,well you know, spatz even after awhile of playing catch and you showing him the proper way to throw then he will have trouble using fine motor skills. This means he is stepping and swinging the arms through the throw and the back leg is coming around and his head is staying still.

A good Judo coach really doesn't care especially if he/she has a team of coaches that can handle the load. Good luck and ya'll have fun.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

MMA Instructor

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 8:20am

Style: Earth Dragon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've worked with 7-8 year olds in wrestling, judo, and jujutsu and it's a great age to start them. As has already been stated though, a lot depends on the instructor. Simpy watering down the adult material doesn't make it a kid's curriculum, you have to find someone who has some experience working with kids and understands how to meet their needs.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 8:43am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seven is a fine age to start. Kids are natural grapplers - he's probably play wrestling and rough-housing anyways, might as well give him some skills.

My daughter is 5 and she started jiu-jitsu in August. She loooooves it, and she's actually learning some reasonable techniques - for her yellow belt grading, she had to hip-throw every kid in the class and she did it - even the green belt 9 year olds. She can do rolling breakfalls, upa someone her own size and is learning a few guard passes. At this point she doesn't understand that what she is doing is learning to fight - to her, it's just fun rough-housing and good exercise.

Do you have any other kids? Be warned - once your kids start training, they do it all the time. We have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and it's like a 24/7 grappling match in my house. I'll be making dinner and I'll hear a voice from the livingroom - "mom, come and look, I've got side control!", and now she's coaching her brother, who is only 2 but loves the physical play. Oy, a whole family full of fighters!

Just remember to let him try a class or two before signing him up, make sure that the teaching style meshes with his capabilities and your goals. And at this point, I think the goals should be having fun and getting exercise, the skills will come.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 9:21am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is an article written by a brilliant and incredibly good-looking guy. Guy was the athletic directer for a chain of pre-school through 3rd grade private schools. I wish I was as cool as this guy.

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=258

hope that helps!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 12:47am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was an article posted here on Bullshido about the best MA training for kids. Actually is is part 13 of the Bullshido guide to finding a good martial arts school. Anyway it says that grappling arts are the better for younger children, not only because it is a natural progression for kids, but also because younger children have a hard time distinguishing between really getting hit and sparring. I can attest to the truth in this. My daughter is 5, and she and I train TKD with my father. The young students do light contact sparring at most, but when she gets hit with a good shot she gets very upset and has to calm down before she can get back into the training. Hope the link helps.