233386 Bullies, 3868 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a moocher who cheats Bullshido out of much needed funds.

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 1:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Gi's anyone have recommendations or warnings?

Hey...

I am starting judo classes soon and from reading here I am a bit wary of buying gi's at the gym. Can you make some recccomendations as to who makes and where can I buy good judo gi's?

thanks.

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:00pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28841

Personally, my Atama gi has been holding up pretty well, for all the beatings it takes.

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the link :-)

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you definitely need to get this gi:

http://www.hatashitasports.com/docs/pr484/

being serious for a moment, people have said great things about this one, i'm going to order the BJJ version of the same thing in a month or so:

http://www.hatashitasports.com/docs/pr265/
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't buy a jiujistu gi for Judo. Buy a Judo gi. I just got one, through my club, from HSU. It's a nice entry level gi.

VF, does Atama make Judo gi's too?

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you again..

another follow up newb question.. Are the sizes standard from company to company? I see from the links you guys posted the sizes are some sort of number system.

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [WIKI][/WIKI]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Don't buy a jiujistu gi for Judo. Buy a Judo gi. I just got one, through my club, from HSU. It's a nice entry level gi.

VF, does Atama make Judo gi's too?
    The jiujitsugi vs. judogi is a false dichotomy. AFAIK, Atama doesn't make judogis, but I've been using my gi for jiujitsu and judo and I've never had any problems.

WP, the sizes aren't standard to my knowledge.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    atama did make judo gis at one point, but i don't see them on the website anymore. the 2 gis i linked to are both judo gis
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been using my gi for jiujitsu and judo and I've never had any problems.
    For practice or competition? From what I've been told, the refs can be sticklers for sleeve length, pant length, sleeve width, etc. If someone plans on competing it sounds like you have to have a properly fitting Judogi. I haven't competed yet, though, so I'll defer to someone who has.

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    For practice or competition? From what I've been told, the refs can be sticklers for sleeve length, pant length, sleeve width, etc. If someone plans on competing it sounds like you have to have a properly fitting Judogi. I haven't competed yet, though, so I'll defer to someone who has.
    The OP is a guy who has not trained judo at all, thus it will be a good while before he needs to start thinking about a competition-compliant gi. In addition to which, if he's competing, he'll most likely need a competition gi in addition to his training gi. IMO, durability and comfort should be his main concerns, not compliance with rules. If he can find a judogi that does all three, all the better.

I'm mostly just not a fan of traditionalist judo guys who think people wearing a BJJ gi is going to kill judo dead. Because, y'know, judo's not about the technique and randori and throwing and all that. It's all about the threads, man.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 11/08/2007 2:58pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast