Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    25
    Style
    Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    You can find better examples then Mr. Prather, and frankly probably should.
    Fine. Hatsumi himself has taught government forces worldwide.

    Question though, what's wrong with Mr. Prather as an example? He helped develop CQC for Spec Ops and the Marines. These people are on the battlefield right now, using techniques he developed.
    Last edited by dothackRAVE; 11/08/2007 3:55pm at .

  2. #12
    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Hanniballistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,168
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The SEALS chose PFS (JKD) so does that mean JKD is even more badazz??

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    875
    Style
    Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dothackRAVE
    Fine. Hatsumi himself has taught government forces worldwide.

    Question though, what's wrong with Mr. Prather as an example? He helped develop CQC for Spec Ops and the Marines. These people are on the battlefield right now, using techniques he developed.
    If I was going to go with people in the Bujinkan with Military training backgrounds Jack Hoban in the US and Moti Nativ in Israel would be more solid choices. Both are good at what they do, continue to be involved in teaching in military contexts, and have very little illusion about their activities, interests and capacities.

    With regard to Mr. Prather, I've never met the man. I would suggest doing a bit of checking on him and his "Initiation" side interest however.

  4. #14
    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Hanniballistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,168
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is there si not a single style that cannot at some stage find a representative that has not had some form of experience in teaching LEO/Military/Whatever

    Within itself it means little other than they have doen a seminar or two

    Military units are not reknowned for their hand to hand fighting largely becaise they have so many weapons to fight with it rarely degenrates to an all out scrap. Most military guys I have met and trained with are not that skillful they are just fit as hell and have a determined mindset....suprising how that will win most fights really

    I have yet to see any military H2H system that is not just a quick grab bag of tricks for if the **** hits the fan. As an LEO I will 100% gurantee you that we spend more time training H2H and the system we use is abbreviated fighting

    The modern army combatives owes more to BJJ than anything else - what does that tell you?

  5. #15
    rw4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,022
    Style
    BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jack Bower trains in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu ... seriously I heard it from one of my buddies who knows somebody who had a few drinks with someone who works for CTU Los Angeles :eusa_shhh

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    25
    Style
    Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic
    The problem is there si not a single style that cannot at some stage find a representative that has not had some form of experience in teaching LEO/Military/Whatever

    Within itself it means little other than they have doen a seminar or two

    Military units are not reknowned for their hand to hand fighting largely becaise they have so many weapons to fight with it rarely degenrates to an all out scrap. Most military guys I have met and trained with are not that skillful they are just fit as hell and have a determined mindset....suprising how that will win most fights really

    I have yet to see any military H2H system that is not just a quick grab bag of tricks for if the **** hits the fan. As an LEO I will 100% gurantee you that we spend more time training H2H and the system we use is abbreviated fighting

    The modern army combatives owes more to BJJ than anything else - what does that tell you?
    You're saying Spec Ops can't fight...? You're making a huge claim there.

    As for "seminar or two", Prather didn't do seminars. He developed the system.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    If I was going to go with people in the Bujinkan with Military training backgrounds Jack Hoban in the US and Moti Nativ in Israel would be more solid choices. Both are good at what they do, continue to be involved in teaching in military contexts, and have very little illusion about their activities, interests and capacities.

    With regard to Mr. Prather, I've never met the man. I would suggest doing a bit of checking on him and his "Initiation" side interest however.
    A lack of illusion about their activities, interests and capacities is exactly what Prather's dojos teach.

  7. #17
    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Hanniballistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,168
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dothackRAVE
    You're saying Spec Ops can't fight...? You're making a huge claim there.
    Never said that in any way shape or form - read again before opening mouth

    Quote Originally Posted by dothackRAVE
    As for "seminar or two", Prather didn't do seminars. He developed the system.
    I was referring to Hatsumi in this respect.

    As for the system, look again at what I originally said about those H2H combatives

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    25
    Style
    Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic
    Never said that in any way shape or form - read again before opening mouth



    I was referring to Hatsumi in this respect.

    As for the system, look again at what I originally said about those H2H combatives
    I see. Well, Hatsumi's an old man. Can't really expect him to be flying around the world teaching spec ops officers how to fight.

    Doesn't mean his students aren't a good representation of what he taught though.

    Yes, I read your post about H2H. So what...?

  9. #19
    By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....
    Hanniballistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Qo'noS
    Posts
    2,168
    Style
    JKD & Mok'bara
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It means comment on specifics if you are commenting at all

    Are you new or something?

  10. #20
    HAPKO3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    4,054
    Style
    10th Planet JJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ninjas do not exist. Ninjas, as they are imagined by the "girls in the dojos who carry bos everywhere" never existed outside of a few bad movies.

    Were there some gangs of bandits in Japan? Sure. Did they fight? Yes.

    Pretending to teach the ninja way to fight, though, is about as retarded as teaching the great pirate martial art. It's all LARPing and really bad LARPing at that.
    You say what about my rice?

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO