Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:00am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly 30kg (70lbs) is a fair bit to shed, and if you already have a decent amount of strength I would still lift hard, 2 days a week maybe doing a 5x5 program that concentrates on the core compound lifts, front/back squat, deadlift, bench, cleans, pull ups etc if you're not to familiar with a weight room and then just put the intensity in during your skills training (*note that doesn't mean be a jerk at training)

Having more muscle will increase your resting caloric requirements.

But just from reading your posts, it sounds like you want to look good with your shirt off (who doesn't eh?) If your goal is to compete at 205, considering you've just started bjj/kb,
    I would say concentrate on your skills first and foremost, and like I said above, eat well, put the intensity in and the weight will come off.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes you can gain strength and lose fat. Train in your MA and lift weights while eating less/more healthy. That's the gist of it I think.

How often do you train MA class and for how long? Do you lift weights? You should. It works.

Also, try to be more active in general to lose weight. If you have time why drive to local places? Put on some headphones and walk of it is nearby.

Throw out your TV, or at least limit your usage. Losing weight as a lifestyle apporach rather than "what diet should I do" works better and is more likely to last.

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I strongly suggest weight watchers also if you have trouble holding yourself accountable. I have seen it work, it is not a secret diet either. They meet often to weigh you and put you on a diet. They hold you accountable and provide ways to make your lifestyle more healthy.

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:31am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Throw out your TV, or at least limit your usage.
    I put my excercise bike in front of my tv, which helps me justify watching mind-numbing entertainment. Also, excercises for commercial breaks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: freestyle kickboxing/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you guys have been awesome. seriously ty for all the help. i know 70lbs is alot to shed. before i started kickboxing last year i was never a competitive person,i did sports at school- baseball,football,soccer but when i started sparring in kickboxing it just opened a whole new door, but because of my size i couldnt really compete in tournys, i was stuck sparring my fellow classmates not that thats a bad thing xD. another reason i really want to shed the pounds is because after my school career i really hope to join the coast guards. thanks again for all the help

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 5:28am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest factor in if you will achieve your goals is your diet, not anything you do in the weightroom or on the road. Weightloss is a pretty simple process, eat less calories than you consume.

My major suggestion on diet besides eating clean is to eat alot of fruit. I can't say I have any experience losing weight as I have almost always been lean but I find that no matter how much fruit I eat I cannot put on weight. Over the past two months I have been trying to pack on 5kgs and only when I started eating more carbohyrates from grains and the like that I experienced major gains. I have also seen Jason Ferruga (spelling?) on EliteFS mention the same thing.

Answering your other question I would suggest that you concentrate on losing the 70lbs first. This doesnt mean that you wont lift weights but it means you will perhaps need to alter how you lift weights. Many of the most beneficial and hardest conditioning workouts involve weights but normally involve lifting for reps instead of max effort. If you concerned about maintaining strength levels one dedicated strength session should be adequate and two are possible. Here you want to concentrate on compound lifts in lower rep ranges.

Most importantly dont find yourself an advanced routine and jump right into it. It is important to know your own limitations. Pace yourself and you will results come much quicker compared to going all out straight away and injuring yourself.

Best of luck mate

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 6:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diet may be key to losing weight, but lifting/cardio will decide if he ends up a 200lb out of shape person "skinny fat" or a 200 beefmonster.

Seriously he said he wants to gain muscle mass to. It is BOTH diet and esercise.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 11:45am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're under 286 you should be able to compete . . . now if you WANT to compete with 'real' superheavies being 5'11" with that much dead weight, that's another story. 205 is probably the right ultimate division for you but you shouldn't be afraid to enter, say open grappling divisions in the mean time.

You can certainly gain strength and lose fat at the same time - there won't, obviously, be as much loss of net weight, but generally the kind of cardio you get from a good grappling class is pretty decent. I think you might also benefit from setting certain fitness goals (ie, "5 rounds of good wind" or "two six minute miles" etc. along with just weight loss - those smaller, specific goals give you steps on your way to your big 70 pound goal.

Nutrition also matters HUGELY in weight maintenance - a half hour of heavy cardio is good for the lungs and the muscles and you learn some new bjj, but it's only the raw calorie equivalent of skipping a biggish cheeseburger. I've had real results with just making sure any snacking I do during the day is healthy, I end up eating a lot of fruit, and we're not discussing my sushi budget.

It's hard to push back from the table in one big motion - some people can do it, others have to make slow, lasting change to their diets, but either way, it's very possible. I was raised by classic midwestern big eaters - I didn't even figure out how much healthier food I genuinely liked eating/cooking until I was in late HS/early college.

The first key to real dietary change - note I didn't say "a diet" - is to make a 'searching and fearless" inventory of what and how much you actually eat and learn how many calories are REALLY in things.

A site like www.fitday.com can really help with that - we all know that ice cream and mcdonalds are bad, but I was supprised to learn just how many calories were in a bagel or a glass of OJ, and how cooking methods change calorie content. When you understand the composition of and how to cook your food, you'll come to find out you don't have to go around hungry all the time or eat nothing but rice cakes - there's a LOT of stuff you can eat plenty of, and it's actually really decent stuff. One quick example - I now eat a lot of "sandwiches" that are on tortillas instead of bread - rolling **** up in one tortilla saves an easy hundred calories over putting the SAME stuff between two slices of bread.

Also, consider some mild supplementation. I'm not talking about all the witch doctor potions from GNC, those are for later - I would just recommend something for the joints and a multivitamin.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 11/08/2007 11:53am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 1:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to add to johnnycache's journal on fitday. I have the problem others wish they had, I need to gain weight usually, or I just need to maintain my weight, stop it from dropping.

What worked the best was when I kept a journal of everything I ate, along with the calories. I also inclluded water dank and any supps I took, anything I ingested. After a weeek or so of doing this I saw how my average diet was and then I would proceed to adjust it.

Every few days I would add extra food/calories slowly until I reached a point I was gaining weight. I started drinking more water, taking my supps on time, and took out the "bad foods", included more good foods (like whle grains and veggies).

Over all, writing down everything you eat will make you highly aware of your diet and it will be easy to fix. I think a problem with diets (no matter what we want to get out of them) is that we are not fully aware of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 1:29pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About two years ago I weighed 205 at 6' tall. But I'm not big boned and my ideal weight is closer to 175/180. I had gained weight after college due to work and stress and crappy eating habits that came out of convenience. So I changed my diet and lifting routine and I lost 25 pounds in a few months.

Diet is the key. I started eating five or six small meals a day. The best thing I did was cook a bunch of chicken breasts on the weekend and refrigerate them for the week. I ate small chicken salads once or twice a day, oatmeal for every breakfast followed by a protein shake a few hours later, maybe with some fruit. I cut out as much bread and pasta as possible. Non-fat or low fat yogurt is a good snack.

As far as working out. I started lifting only twice a week, but for core body muscles. (Squats, bench press, lunges, pull ups, abs). I ran two or three days a week and trained martial arts 4 days a week.

It may or may not work for you, but it helped me. To boil it down, protein > carbs and work out a lot. That's my 2.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast