Posted On:
    11/07/2007 10:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: freestyle kickboxing/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hello- overweight and advise needed

hello (new to the forums)

ok heres the deal i have very recently joined bjj classes, and before the bjj classes i was taking kickboxing classes(to lose weight and also learn how to defend myself).

is it possible to lose weight(with cardio training) while at the same time building muscle mass?

i ask the question because in my kickboxing classes i was the biggest guy but could still keep up and because of my size and power, overwhelm sparring partners. but now that i have joined a grappling class i find myself understrengthed and easily overpowered by sparring partners.

isnt it true that gaining muscle mass means increasing calorie intake? if so that would be counter productive to my diet and cardio to decrease excess bodyfat and lower calorie intake.

i am 275-280 lbs and i desperatly want to lose 70lbs while building muscle mass

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 10:53pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravin339
    i ask the question because in my kickboxing classes i was the biggest guy but could still keep up and because of my size and power, overwhelm sparring partners. but now that i have joined a grappling class i find myself understrengthed and easily overpowered by sparring partners.
    This is not answering your original question, but you are not understrengthed for BJJ. You are being overpowered because you don't have the technical skill needed to efficiently apply your strength. I say this because today I was assigned to a new guy about your size (285 lbs.) and told to get him to stop trying to muscle everything. He calmed down and made an effort to focus on his technique after I sat on his head for a few minutes while slowly, painstakingly inverse-armbarring him. I am 115 pounds. You are not understrengthed.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 11/07/2007 10:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 10:57pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How tall are you ? Weight to ratio thing, need to know, and male or female ? This I also need to know.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:32pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you increase muscle mass while losing fat, your weight may not decrease as much as if you were only doing cardio, but you will be healthier. More muscle may also help to burn fat. I'm no expert, but I do intend to follow this thread if someone with more knowledge shows up. El Macho?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i am male 5'11 275-280lbs. i dont want to gain muscle mass just to overpower sparring partners (i know how techniques and leverage ect ect allow a smaller person to overcome a large foe) but to tone my overall body. back to my question-

is it possible to lose weight(with cardio training) while at the same time building muscle mass? and also dosent muscle eat fat, over a period of time ofcourse.

thanks for the quick reply ViciousFlamingo, last thursday i sparred one of our girls(maybe 90-100lbs) and she easily took my back and got the RNC and when tapped our coach went into a lecture on how size and strength rarely account for overall skill.

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:48pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i am male 5'11 275-280lbs. i dont want to gain muscle mass just to overpower sparring partners (i know how techniques and leverage ect ect allow a smaller person to overcome a large foe) but to tone my overall body. back to my question-

is it possible to lose weight(with cardio training) while at the same time building muscle mass? and also dosent muscle eat fat, over a period of time ofcourse.

thanks for the quick reply ViciousFlamingo, last thursday i sparred one of our girls(maybe 90-100lbs) and she easily took my back and got the RNC and when tapped our coach went into a lecture on how size and strength rarely account for overall skill.
    I'll bump this 'til El Macho or somebody more knowledgeable shows up.

One question: How are you planning on arranging cardio + muscle mass buildup + kickboxing + BJJ to fit into a schedule? I'm currently just doing BJJ and simple weight lifting and I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle much more, but I'm pretty happy with what I have. I get pretty much all my cardio from rolling in BJJ constantly, and I'm making some decent improvement on strength, considering my fucking fairy-like physique.

Also, keep in mind, I'm not saying physical ability isn't important. To be clear, size and strength plus skill will always be better than less size and less strength and about equal level of skill. I just wanted to emphasize that for BJJ training, at your size you probably don't need to worry about strength too much unless you're competing. For regular training, you'll be just dandy.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 11/07/2007 11:54pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 12:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ViciousFlamingo- thanks for the quick responses man

i quit kickboxing about 4 months ago because school had started up and couldnt handle the load. i started bjj about 4 weeks ago and go 3 times a week. omg i couldnt imagine kickboxing+ bjj+ school >_<

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 12:57am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can lose FAT while gaining muscle mass, but muscle weighs more than fat, so your number may not decrease. You will be better off, unless you are simply doing this to look good. (which is stupid.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 1:44am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Disclaimer: This is based on personal experience only, and little bits of research here and there that i've done for myself, if anyone finds a big hole in what im say please feel free to correct me.

Generally, from a body building pov, they work on building muscle with a calorie surplus and hard lifting and then go into a cutting phase to reduce fat with a "maintenance" lifting not seeing as large gains on their lifts for competitions or summer etc, then cycle back in if looking to gain.

You can absolutely lose fat and gain muscle mass though it will happen slower than if you focused solely on "losing 70lbs" via cardio. As your body has plenty of stores to draw from, work out what your current calorie maintenance level is and make sure your output is greater than your input. Eat frequently in smaller portions, lots of protein and wholefoods, cut the junk food and sugars out, soft drink, fruit juices, your new best friends is water.

Eat well, train hard with your skills, lift hard in the gym, get plenty of sleep and that pudding will drop off.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 1:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually tbh i want to drop down to 205 to compete. so u guys think i should just stick to my cardio regime until i get closer to my goal and then tone up?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast