Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 1:38pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some help with my supplementation plan

Iíve had a rather haphazard approach to supplement use lately so Iíve decide to try and narrow it down to a fixed schedule. My main concern is recovery, and keep in mind that Iím gradually diminishing my caloric intake to lose some weight. The Muscle Milk RTD in the morning is my breakfast some time between 8:30 and 9:00 (I get to work late) and the evening Muscle Milk shake is my supper since I usually get back from working out sometime around 20:30 Ė 21:00 and Iíd rather not need too much after that.

My exact routine varies, but it usually looks something like this:

08:45 - Breakfast: Muscle Milk Ready to Drink, multivitamin
    10:30 - Small Snack
    12:30 - Lunch, Omega 3 Fish Oil (1st capsule)
    16:00 - Afternoon Snack, Omega 3 Fish Oil (2nd capsule)
    18:00 - Pre-Workout: Amino Acids, 1tsp of Glutamine in water or juice
    --:-- During Workout: Water or Water with Gatorade Powder
    21:00 - Post-Workout: Shake with 2 scoops of Muscle Milk and 1tsp of Glutamine, Amino Acids. Maybe a snack if Iím craving real food.
    23:00 - Before Bed: ZMA

Does this make sense or do I suck at this?
    What should I take on those days when I donít workout? (I workout 3-5 days a week depending of work schedule and life)
    Should I include some Glutamine in the morning as well (Iíve been thinking of mixing some into the Muscle Milk RTD before drinking it)?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do I understand this right? you're eating 100% suppliments?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many calosries a day are you eating? It seems you are only eating 1-2 real food meals and 2 Muscle Milk meals? Not good.

Muscle Milk pre bed is good as it has casein and is slow digesting.
    Breakfast should not be a Muscle Milk.

What is the name of your amino acid supplement?

Muscle Milk post workout is good, but not ideal. Depending if you are taking a proper amino supplement, you might do betterl to take them post workout, and the Muscle Milk about 15-20 minutes later.

On glutamine: people are split on this I think, some love it some say it dosen't do jack for muscle building. Most I see on the net agree it helps the immune system and gut health. Either way you need more than a tsp (about 5 grams) to do anything

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Do I understand this right? you're eating 100% suppliments?
    No.

Right now breakfast, morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack are all real foods, so is supper on days when I don't workout. I haven't started the Muscle Milk for breakfast yet, that's something the guy at the store suggested.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 6:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    How many calosries a day are you eating? It seems you are only eating 1-2 real food meals and 2 Muscle Milk meals? Not good.
    See my previous post. Food wise my biggest problem is supper. By the time I get home from work it's about 18:30 and I'm either at class or the gym by 19:00, so I can't have a real meal or I might leave it on the mat. I've been thinking of maybe having Muscle Milk at that time.

Muscle Milk pre bed is good as it has casein and is slow digesting.
    Breakfast should not be a Muscle Milk.
    Should I be taking something in the morning then? What?

What is the name of your amino acid supplement?
    Dymatize BCAA Complex 2200

Muscle Milk post workout is good, but not ideal. Depending if you are taking a proper amino supplement, you might do betterl to take them post workout, and the Muscle Milk about 15-20 minutes later.
    What do you suggest then?

On glutamine: people are split on this I think, some love it some say it dosen't do jack for muscle building. Most I see on the net agree it helps the immune system and gut health.
    I tried the Glutamine and BCAAs after reading stuff El Macho wrote. Seems to be working for me to help recovery. Now instead of being sore and feeling shity the next morning, I'm just sore.

Either way you need more than a tsp (about 5 grams) to do anything
    Should of read 1 tbsp (tablespoon).
    Last edited by rw4th; 11/07/2007 6:43pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 6:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should be taking breakfast in the morning. Like, real breakfast. I am in kind of the same situation regarding dinner on days that I train. Since I work a regular job I head to train almost immediately after work, and by the time I get home it might be too late to eat a real meal. If that is the case, I just have my shake and a little later a light snack to hold me for the rest of the night. I am rarely low on calories because I tend to eat slightly larger snacks during the day or have a bigger breakfast or lunch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I started working out again and stepped up to 5-6 meals a day, I eat 2-3 "food" meals and drink 3 meal replacement shakes throughout the day. I use the EAS Myoplex shakes, but I know there are others out there that work just as well. I like the meal replacement shakes because they are quick and easy to use. They have a good mix of whey and casein so you benefit from them whenever you take them. I use skim milk in mine to add some more protein and carbs (and it tastes a hell of a lot better than using water).

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    See my previous post. Food wise my biggest problem is supper. By the time I get home from work it's about 18:30 and I'm either at class or the gym by 19:00, so I can't have a real meal or I might leave it on the mat. I've been thinking of maybe having Muscle Milk at that time.
    Cool.

Should I be taking something in the morning then? What?
    Morning is when you just break an 8 hour fast. So a Muscle Milk is fine but I would imagine you might want to add some more carbs in there also. I suggest putting your Muscle Milk in a blender with a cup of oats (not instabt or prepackaged, plain old olats). I love the way it tastes and it will give you carbs that are also very good for you, we could all use more whole grain.

This is not an amino acid product, it is a BCAA product. BCAA's are amino acids (luecine, valine, isoluecine) but generally you make a distinction between the two. An EAA (essential amino acid, it contains 19 amino acids that the body must get from outside sources, and it includes the BCAA's) can be considered but BCAA's are fine.

You can buy BCAA/EAA much cheaper than that and be able to take a higher dose at www.bulknutrition.com

You currently pay $25 for about 100 grams. You can buy 1,000 grams for $39.99, it is in powder but you can throw it in your gatorade.

What do you suggest then?
    Buy the 1,0000 BCAA. Then take 10 gram pre workout and 10 gram immediately post. 20 minutes later drink the Muscle Milk. Ideally you would drink a straight whey protein and some simple carbs but if you don't want to buy more supps don't worry about it.

I tried the Glutamine and BCAAs after reading stuff El Macho wrote. Seems to be working for me to help recovery. Now instead of being sore and feeling shity the next morning, I'm just sore.

Should of read 1 tbsp (tablespoon).
    Cool.

Lastly, I reccomend taking the Muscle Milk pre bed. If you do you should drop the ZMA as Zinc and calcium do not mix. Anything containing calcium should be avoided around the time you take the ZMA so it gets used. I would imagine that having slow digesting protein before bed (Muscle Milk) is more valuable then ZMA. When I take Zinc supps I do it first thing in the morning, then eat about 15 minutes later.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can also buy glutamine at that site for cheap.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    You can also buy glutamine at that site for cheap.
    I get my **** at a the local Popeye's, which is basically the "real store" version of SupplementsCanada.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast