Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 12:50pm

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taping Hands for MMA

Hey all,

I did a little bit of forum searching but couldnt find anything, so my apologies if i've missed a thread with the information i'm asking for.

Does anyone have or know of any vids that can instruct me how to tape my hands for an MMA competition? Or can can I simply tape them the traditional boxing way?

thanks

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how to do it, but when I had my hands taped for MMA comps another trainer remarked to the guy doing my wraps "oh that's nice, that's an old school boxing wrap, he knows what he's doing!"

So I think it is the same. If I remember my hand was wrapped from the wrist to knuckle, then a second set of wrap over the knuckle area. Some guys had individual knuckles wrapper to.

I am almost positive it is the same. Just make sure they conform to the org's standards on excessive wrap/tape and such.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 4:48pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen the palms cut out, but I only know the old boxing wrap myself.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 5:20pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just watching video from MMA matches, there seems to be no one way to do it. I've noticed various degrees of open palm in tape jobs. I suppose it should be tailored to the individual fighter's style.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 6:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good topic, I had looked a while ago as well and couldn't bring up any results. Current trainer has me doing typical boxing wrap, but trying to figure out open palm tape/wrap technique. Hope someone can help out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 10:41pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've wrapped my hands for Muay Thai a plain old boxing style, now that I'm training for MMA, I'm still wrapping it the same way, it doesn't hinder my grip using the MMA gloves. Because my hands are a bit small, I try to reduce the amount of wrap going around my palms so I can get a tight fist and good grip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:22pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much everyone I've met wraps a different way and yea I've seen some do the wrap over the knuckle thing. Really the only important thing is that your doing it in a way to prevent the carpal & metacarpal bones from spreading apart when you hit. Anything else is just about keeping the wrap together so play with it until you find something works for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:54pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A trainer I know had a very scientific method of taping hands for mma. He would basically make a glove out of the tape. One band across the center of the palm. One piece of tape between each of the fingers. Additional tape to support the thumb. Tape across the knuckels. He then wrapped the wrist and joined everything together.

What I found interesting was that he taped each of the fighter's hands differently. This was based on how the hand naturally alligns with the wrist. He wrapped the tape to apply tension that straightened the hand out from the natural bend.

Too bad there is no vid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 8:32am

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. Tsname, you're taping the same way you did for Muay Thai, but are you using the same amount of material when you tape up for MMA?

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    11/08/2007 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an open-palm handwrap method that I found on teh internets... what do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast