• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 141516 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Show up in Boston in February , bitch , and well see about that . I will now go through the rest of your Idiocy so that other Posters dont learn bad Training habits from someone whose only educated themself enough to SOUND like they know what they are talking about .
    Last edited by Djimbe; 11/05/2003 11:22pm at .

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by keinhaar
    You can't make up your own terms like "contractality" and expect me to understand you.

The existence of the word isn't in question
    It isnt in question NOW , but you sue THOUGHT that it was when your Ignorant ass didnt know what the **** it was , Bitch .
    Last edited by Djimbe; 11/05/2003 11:18pm at .

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just Love random Capitalization in Your Posts. It's like Hearing someone speak While their Balls are randomly Squeezed.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But the best way to judge progression is by the amount of weight you are lifting.
    If you are increasing the weight on a REGULAR basis, you are progressing.
    Its best to keep things simple.
    Exactly.

If you can perform 5 reps with 100 pounds one day. And then 5 reps with 105 pounds the next day, then that indicates an increase in strength. What would NOT neccesarily indicate an increase in strength would be to perform 5 reps in such a way as to make them mechanically easier on yourself. Perhaps letting gravity take up the slack a little more on the way down. Taking a longer than normal breather at the top of a squat etc. That's all I'm really getting at; that reps are not all created equal.
    Last edited by Nid; 11/06/2003 12:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:35pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol. true. but i gotta agree with djimbe for once

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 12:18am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    I just Love random Capitalization in Your Posts. It's like Hearing someone speak While their Balls are randomly Squeezed.
    Shumagorath is correct.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 1:51am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's unforgivably ridiculous that a thread on strength training has developed into this.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 2:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is utter bullshit. Go ahead and try to substantiate this. Go on. I'm gonna hold you to this.
    If yo ustill arent capable of comprehending it after this Post Ill dig up the studies for you later .

What are you on? There's a number of reasons one sees varying *external* builds. The build indicates little if nothing about internal, genetically fixed muscle fiber type proportions. A marathoner doesn't have a MMA build (whatever the hell that is) because he doesn't train like one
    If you will Re-Read what I said very carefully , you will find that "He dosent have one becaus e he dosent Train like one" is what I was saying . His Training activities do not Produce that type of Musculature .

and he wasn't born like one;
    No one was . Thats actually kind of the POINT here . And the Point of training , in fact .

he incurs a much more profound stress response because of the duration and frequency of his training,
    Intensity is more Important than Frequency in this matter . Frequency is "Walled Up" by the issues of Fueling and Recovery . However , Duration is directly influenced by Intensity . The higher the Intensity , the lower the Duration , although its not a 1:1

he's born with fibers not conducive to Type II performance and growth (nor does he try) etc etc.
    No human is born without the ability to recruit TypeII fibres .

Yeah, by happenstance. Of course, that doesn't mean a powerlifter can go throw a football as far as *he's* genetically able just because he's honed those 3 lifts. Specifity. Remember that word. In fact, look it up.
    There is NOTHING thats "Happenstance" ABOUT it : You need to become aware that there are two differnt things being explained to you here

1) Powerlifting PRINCIPLES

2) the Power Lifts THEMSELVES .

Powerlifting Principles are NOT "Happensstance" when they are applied to ANY muscle group , over time , the muscle group responds in the same manner . By recruiting and building typeII Fibres . This will grow Muscles , and make them stronger , and you can do ANY Specific Task that you like with those same Muscles that much harder . This will happen regardless of wether a person is an Endomorph like Frank Zanre or not , or else he would never have become a Bodybuilder at all , much less a great one .

For god's sake. You can't train a given muscle FIBER to contract harder.
    Yes , you CAN . The greater the Signal supplied to it , the harder it Contracts . People Pissing on Fences have been learning this for decades . In fact , as silly as that sounds , ask an Electrician why ne tests to see if something is "Hot" with the Backof his Right Hand . Hell tell you its because if he flips it about his Grip will be too Strong for him to Power out of because it has too much Impulse going to it for you to Overcome .

"All or nothing prinicple". That's another basic one. Look it up. There's no trainable factor of "contractality" either. And no, I don't know "what you mean", you have to use the correct words for me to understand you. I realize you're dyslexic so I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt on some things, but when you get pissy it's hard to be civil.
    Dont tell me to look things up before you do , Chief . Oh , and heres another Example of you claiming , outright , that Contractility either didnt exist or wasnt a word . And the CORRECT word , at that .

It simply doesn't work that way. I'm sorry. I can bury you in refences too, if you like. This is so very basic.
    No , it simply DOES work that way .

It very much matters on the activity. There's universally applicable metabolic ability which can and does result in greater mechanical force, work, power, momentum etc *outside* of the body which then can apply to specific skills. You're trying to assert that, in development of both, there's some sort of overlap. Greater squatting skill (rate of force development, fiber recruitment whatever) isn't going to carry over to sprinting neccesarily. It just doesn't. The greater relative amount muscle tissue itself (whether it was developed intentionally or not)? Yes. The skill? No.
    No one ever said ANYTHING about SKILLS . The Bigger you Squat the faster you are because the Muscles are Stronger , and the Neurons in use Fire Faster . Skill Level at Squatting Notwithstanding . You may not be better than the next bloke , but you WILL be faster than YOU were . You can ONLY Improve upon YOUR Speed , not anyone Elses . This is why Genetic Makeup is fucking Irrelevant , because you CANNOT CHANGE YOUR OWN BASELINE , you can only focus it tward your desired activity .

As for the TUL, it's clear you didn't even try to understand this concept before you started flapping your ass cheeks.
    Wrong . YOU do not uinderstand that Not only do I understand TUL , but I understand the concept of Lactic Acid buidup as well . Neither of them other than Incidentally have anything to do with the best way to Train to build TypeII muscle fibres , however .

It's not a set goal which let's one off the hook as far as intensity goes, it's a tool to create a much more precise benchmark against which to gauge progress (LIKE reps).
    Except that it just dosent EVER Work that way . Its a "Drawing Boar" Ideal that falls short in the Gym , with Iron in your hands . Its that thing that little kids tell each ohther about Pushing ppls noses into their Brains like a Ninja , or how some people think that you dont need Sparring to be good at Fighting . It SOUNDS good , but it dosent WORK in the REAL WORLD . Youre so worried about what ppl "Can Comprehend" , that youre not "Comprehending" that that whole "TUL" bullshit is just like Nautilus Machines , and those silly Ab-Rolling things . Oh , and the Electocuting Belt !!! Its a loveley Idea , that MANY people have tried ans stayed Skinny with .

In other words, when one is performing the squat over successive workouts, it's not wise to constantly change your foot position; nor rep scheme, nor switch back and forth between machines and free weights. You want to know that doing the *same* exercise the *same* way is resulting in greater strength and ability.
    You have just given the TEXTBOOK DEFINITION of "How To Plateau" . You actually just typed out the Guidebook ! If you NEVER want to succeed in Strngth Training you should follow this Plan .

If youre SERIOUS , however , then you would be wise to Rotate the Exercises that comprise your Routines , Change your Scheduling , and even Alternate lifing times of the day for effect . you MUST "Keep Your Muscles Guessing" . I put that in quotes so that you could C&P it into Google and see that Im not making this up .

Otherwise you have no objective way to determine if what you're doing is "working".
    Once again :

Your muscles have no cognative abilities .

Therefore :

the best way to TEST is NOT NESSICARILY going to be the best way to Improve .

When one incurs greater and greater fatigue, one tends to lift FASTER to make it EASIER on him or herself. 10 reps lasting a total 60 seconds is much different that 10 reps lasting 30 seconds, provided the weight is the same.
    The most Imprtant part of that is :

provided the weight is the same
    If you are doing THE UTMOST THAT YOU CAN for 3-5 Reps then the 'Time' In the "TUL" bullshit flies right out the Window . You can either make the Lift or you cannot .

Unfortunately this is the hardest part to explain via Text . This is what you NEED the Gym for . IF you were lifting at your Capacity then you WOULD know what Im talking about . Its not a concept to be thought about its something you FEEL HAPPEN TO YOU .

Explosive lifting results in degee of momentum which makes it EASIER on yourself as you reach the point of greatest mechanical advantage.
    Only if Improper Form are a Part of the Lift , or if the person is not doing 95% of ther Max or approaching it . The only way that my Bicep Curls can do what you described are if I allow my Elbows to move , thus compromising my Form .

Letting the weight drop with gravity, well, that's self explanatory. Trading duration for resistance is robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    Negatives are an Important Part of the Rep , however , if you can do the Negative of your Last Rep , or can Hold the Negative Phase indefinately , then you have Cheated yourself in the Weight .

It results in a relative wash but only as far as tangible development goes....not skill (which is task specific). That is different.
    Once again , no one has EVER said that Skill in any activity will be increased , they have said that you will do certain activities better . Stronger people are better wrestlers , regardless of skill level , than are Weaker People . Skill may be able to make up for Strength , but Carl Lewis at 80 , no matter how much Skill he has will not beat a 20-Year-Old in a Footrace unless there is somethign Wrong with them . The Strength is simply GONE , even though the skill may be Perfected by then .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do we have the insults out of our systems?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Djimbe
    Doc - yould be wise not to call someone "Wise" when they dont even know the Subject matter which they aregue so vehemently . Yes , Im about to Prove it .
    Hmm...his point seemed to be that a lot of your long rants lacked structure and a coherent framework, thereby precluding the understanding of your points. That is a bigger problem for some than others, but it is not the fault of the readers.

If you often find yourself repeating what you wrote earlier because individuals didn't understand it, check critically to see if the problem is you or them.

Additionally using apparently esoteric words (which I often do as well, I used pedagogical while talking with students in a lab I teach) or using words strictly by their denotation while ignoring their obvious connotations will always get you misunderstood. Again this is the fault of the speaker or the writer, not the person words are being directed towards.

This is an informal message board; there is no need to worry about strict grammar and structure. If however your message is completely being missed, you should perhaps give it more consideration.