Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/01/2003 2:27am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So do I.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2003 8:52am

Style: Gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if I was being anal. I'm just not very familar with lifting and I wanted to understand clearly.

Thanks for your replies, all.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2003 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as a relative beginner is concerned, much of the discussion on this thread has been hair-splitting. I'm sure my routine doesn't look all THAT different from Ronin's or Wastrels, or whoever...even if there are points of theoretical contention.

I find this to be an outstanding piece about all the general rules of effective, common-sense strength training.

http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca.../hitfaq20.html

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 4:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have more Type I Fibres in yoru Calf because you walk on it all the time , they arent "Naturally There" , youy develop them over a Lifetime . This also means that Recruiting Type II fibres CAN be done , it just takes a while to see the Effects of .
    This is utter bullshit. Go ahead and try to substantiate this. Go on. I'm gonna hold you to this.

You Do NOT see Marathoners with a Huge Type IIa Build , and you do NOT see SUCCESSFUL MMA Fioghters with a Type I build .
    What are you on? There's a number of reasons one sees varying *external* builds. The build indicates little if nothing about internal, genetically fixed muscle fiber type proportions. A marathoner doesn't have a MMA build (whatever the hell that is) because he doesn't train like one and he wasn't born like one; he incurs a much more profound stress response because of the duration and frequency of his training, he's born with fibers not conducive to Type II performance and growth (nor does he try) etc etc.

Power Lifting Principles can be appklied to EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL MUSCLE GROUP IN THE BODY . .
    Yeah, by happenstance. Of course, that doesn't mean a powerlifter can go throw a football as far as *he's* genetically able just because he's honed those 3 lifts. Specifity. Remember that word. In fact, look it up.

The discussion at hand isnt about being "Made or Broken" (as ANAL as you are about everyone ELSES Grammar , and you say "Maked Or Breaked" ??? WTF ???)
    It was facetious, that's why I put it in quotes. I mean, really.

ALL the recruiting of Neurons does is make the Muscle Fire Faster/Contract Harder . It DOSENT MATTER WETHER OR NOT YOUR SQUATTING OR WIPING YOUR ASS . You Use the Excercise to RAISE THE MUSCLES MAXIMUM CONTRACTILITY . Thats IT . There is NOTHING "move Specific" ABOUT it .
    For god's sake. You can't train a given muscle FIBER to contract harder. "All or nothing prinicple". That's another basic one. Look it up. There's no trainable factor of "contractality" either. And no, I don't know "what you mean", you have to use the correct words for me to understand you. I realize you're dyslexic so I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt on some things, but when you get pissy it's hard to be civil.

It will Fire Harder because you have taught iot to , EVERY TIME YOU WANT IT TO .
    It simply doesn't work that way. I'm sorry. I can bury you in refences too, if you like. This is so very basic.

NO MATTER THE ACTIVITY .
    It very much matters on the activity. There's universally applicable metabolic ability which can and does result in greater mechanical force, work, power, momentum etc *outside* of the body which then can apply to specific skills. You're trying to assert that, in development of both, there's some sort of overlap. Greater squatting skill (rate of force development, fiber recruitment whatever) isn't going to carry over to sprinting neccesarily. It just doesn't. The greater relative amount muscle tissue itself (whether it was developed intentionally or not)? Yes. The skill? No.

As for the TUL, it's clear you didn't even try to understand this concept before you started flapping your ass cheeks.

It's not a set goal which let's one off the hook as far as intensity goes, it's a tool to create a much more precise benchmark against which to gauge progress (LIKE reps). In other words, when one is performing the squat over successive workouts, it's not wise to constantly change your foot position; nor rep scheme, nor switch back and forth between machines and free weights. You want to know that doing the *same* exercise the *same* way is resulting in greater strength and ability. Otherwise you have no objective way to determine if what you're doing is "working". When one incurs greater and greater fatigue, one tends to lift FASTER to make it EASIER on him or herself. 10 reps lasting a total 60 seconds is much different that 10 reps lasting 30 seconds, provided the weight is the same. Explosive lifting results in degee of momentum which makes it EASIER on yourself as you reach the point of greatest mechanical advantage. Letting the weight drop with gravity, well, that's self explanatory. Trading duration for resistance is robbing Peter to pay Paul. It results in a relative wash but only as far as tangible development goes....not skill (which is task specific). That is different.
    Last edited by Nid; 11/05/2003 9:10pm at .

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The more weight you lift in less time equals more power.
    But the best way to judge progression is by the amount of weight you are lifting.
    If you are increasing the weight on a REGULAR basis, you are progressing.
    Its best to keep things simple.
    If you are not lifting more, it means your muscles are not responding and getting stronger, which means you are over training, why not UNDER training? well if you can't lift more, it means your muscle has not become stronger, if it hasn't become stronger, how can you do more????

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as ANAL as you are about everyone ELSES Grammar
    I know this isn't the thread to do it, but goddammit a couple things need to be cleared up. I'm NOT a grammar nazi. I'm a communication nazi. You can't say "power" and expect me to know you mean "force". You can't make up your own terms like "contractality" and expect me to understand you.

Most people can’t read minds.

As a consequence we have language.

Language is comprised of units called phonics (sounds)

Phonics are arranged into units called words

Words have specific meanings. Words were invented to differentiate between stuff. An apple is an “apple” because it’s different than a pear. Get it? “Pear” sounds different than “apple”. We’ve audibly abstracted the physical difference between them to streamline communication. It beats having to hold up an apple and point to yourself if you want one. We can simply say: “I want an apple”. Or in your case: “Gime Fukcing AppplE”

Words are arranged into syntax (grammar, word order etc.). This creates meaning, which can be more than the sum of its parts. “Come to Boston so I can fight you!” means one thing (namely, the immediately self-evident meaning since we recognize and accept the universal rules which govern standard English syntax). “Fight to Boston so I can come!” means something entirely different.

We’ve further abstracted the spoken word into visual units. The written word. These units are arranged in exact accordance with the spoken word. But, since it’s a visual medium, we need a few extra tools to fill in the negative space and inflection. Those tools are punctuation marks. The following sentences have different meanings, believe it or not.

Djimbe had bitter childhood experiences? In grade school he lashed out.

Djimba had bitter childhood experiences in grade school. He lashed out?

Just because you break most, if not all, of these rules doesn’t mean your intended meaning is wrong. It just means that I honestly don’t know what you’re trying to say. So settle down and bear with me, ok? To pre-empt your next spaz-attack, no; I honestly don’t know what you really meant. Next time you screech and throw feces because “everyone” missed your point, you might want to reconsider where the problem is.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That may have been one of the single best posts I've ever seen.

Thank you wise one.

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 10:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dochter
    That may have been one of the single best posts I've ever seen.

Thank you wise one.
    Doc - yould be wise not to call someone "Wise" when they dont even know the Subject matter which they aregue so vehemently . Yes , Im about to Prove it .

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by keinhaar
    I know this isn't the thread to do it, but goddammit a couple things need to be cleared up. I'm NOT a grammar nazi. I'm a communication nazi. You can't say "power" and expect me to know you mean "force". You can't make up your own terms like "contractality" and expect me to understand you.
    Just because you are Ignorant of a word's Existance , or so very Ignorrant of the Subject matter at hand that you dont KNOW a word that is used all the time in the Feild of Interest or Study that does not mean that I "Made The Word Up" .

Stick the word "Contractility" into Google . I did . Heres the first Line , BEFORE the Responses :

Searched the web for contractility. Results 1 - 100 of about 127,000. Search took 0.55 seconds.

Contractility : should have looked it up , Fuckpie ! (Click this , Idiot)

Oh , and just to Increase your Word Power :

hyperdictionary.com ansme.com

Definition for contractility

CONTRACTILITY
    Pronunciation: `kântrak'tilitee

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] the capability or quality of shrinking or contracting esp by muscle fibers and even some other forms of living matter

See Also: ability, astringency, stypsis

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Con`trac*til"i*ty\, n.
    1. The quality or property by which bodies shrink or
    contract.

2. (Physiol.) The power possessed by the fibers of living
    muscle of contracting or shortening.

Note: When subject to the will, as in the muscles of
    locomotion, such power is called voluntary
    contractility; when not controlled by the will, as in
    the muscles of the heart, it is involuntary
    contractility.

contractility (noun) -
    1. the capability or quality of shrinking or contracting esp by muscle fibers and even some other forms of living matter

I believe the Term is :

And Id just like to add :

And even though you may hate for me to say it :

Last edited by Djimbe; 11/05/2003 11:08pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2003 11:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The existence of the word isn't in question, it's the measurable condition of the muscle. Don't forget context.

Now, do you *physically* fight with this same kind of retard fury?

Don't answer. I'm quite done with you.