Posted On:
    10/23/2003 1:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength Training

Strength training & the Martial arts
    As well all know, ST is essential to the MA and of benefit to almost anyone.
    So lets get to the nitty gritty.
    MA are NOT body builders, we should NOT train like them.
    We should train for function and health NOT aesthetics.
    Of course if we end up looking good too, even better.
    Whatever training “philosophy” you prefer to follow:
    Volume Training ( multi sets and multi exercises per body part)
    High intensity ( 1-3 sets, 2-3 exercises per body part)
    Periodization ( combination of volume, High intensity, low intensity)
    Etc.
    As long as you are making gains or “progressively increasing resistence”, it is working.
    You can progress by:
    Increasing amount of weight
    Increasing amount of reps
    Increasing amount of sets
    There is an inverse reaction to intensity and time:
    The more intense your workout, the shorter it is.
    You can run fast and hard, but not for very long.
    Muscle atrophy ( loss of muscle mass):
    Studies have shown that athletes can do NO workouts for 1 week (7 days) and NOT lose ANY muscle mass ( done by the Australian something or other and quote in Mens Health, let me know if you want the article).
    Some athletes have shown and INCREASE in strength after taking limited periodical layoffs.
    What exercise to do?
    IF you can perform them:
    Squats, Deadlifts, Shrugs, Bench press, Overhead press, Dips ( weighted), Chins (weighted), Calf raises.
    Also: Forearm curls, Barbell curls, and triceps press downs.
    The major compound exercises ( Squats, Deadlifts, Shrugs, Bench press, Overhead press, Dips ( weighted), Chins (weighted), Calf raises) are the most essential.
    It may be VERY difficult to perform ALL the exercise in 1 workout, so most split them up, just make sure to NOT perform Squat and Deadlift in the same routine, the stress on the lower back may be too great. If you do both, one of them will suffer: If you do squats first, you will not be able to use the most weight you can on the deadlift because your lower back will be “weakened” by the squats, same thing if you do deadlifts first. Of course SOME people will be ABLE to do both, but they are short change themselves.
    How much Weight:
    I will attach a suggest “goals to strive for”, it may be easy for some and hard for others, but it’s a good starting place.
    I will also attach a proportion chart for those who would like to see how big their arms SHOULD be.
    A chart to help you calculate your max will also be submitted.
    Hope it helps.

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 1:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the proportion chart:

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 1:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are some goals to strive for, some will find them easy other hard, if they are easy, do more !!

Squat: 150% of body weight for 15––20 reps

Dead lift: 150––175% of body weight for 15––20 reps

Bench press: 125% of body weight for 6––8 reps

Chin up: body weight to body weight plus 25% in weight for 6––8 reps

Dumbbell row: 50% of body weight for 6––8 reps

Overhead press: 75% of body weight for 6––8 reps

Dips: body weight plus 25% in weight for 8––10 reps.

The above are for male trainees of up to about 40 years old.

Targets

300 bench press
    400 squat
    500 dead lift

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Working in the 3-5 Rep Range is going to give you SIGNIFIGANTLY more Gains in Strength than working in Higher Rep Ranges . By this I mean a weight that you CAN lift 3 Times , but you CANT Lift 6 .

This Calls Into Recruitment the Nervous Pathways at their Peak , and Expands them through Training . Lower Weights do NOT do this . You should be woirking at 85-95% of your One Rep Max in this Rep Range .

Chinps have FAR less Muscular Tissues than any Human , but do you know how you are always hearing about how they will Rip your Arm off you and Beat you with it ? Thats because their Nervous Pathways are a Cablemodem to our 28kbps . the better the Connection/DLSpeed , the Stronger you are

GO BROADBAND !

Not ONLY does it give you better Results , but you waste FAR less Time in Each Lifting Session .

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    Anderson was one strong Mofu !!!
    And all that without steroids.
    As for your comment about "half ass" charts.
    I don't see how something that motivates us is bad.
    What did you find so "wrong" about a chart taht basis its goal on bodyweight?
    Dude , I wasnt really Jumping up YOUR Skirt about YOUR PARTICULAR Charts , I just HATE them , as they nearly NEVER Correspond to Reality , nor to the best way to Train .

I mean , just looking at the things you Copied there on Reps/Weights ... it LOOKS LIKE its saying that you should work out at 6+ and 12+ Reps per Excerise , and that does NOTHING to bring in Nervous System Recruitment .

Add that to the fact that EVERY "Size Chart" that I have EVER SEEN in my Lifetime tells me that at my height the MOST I should weigh is 250 lbs , or IM OBESE . It takes nothign else into Consideration . Charts are almost Universally Inherently Flawed when talking about Strength , and Fitness .

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice to know I haven't worked out regularly in over 3 months and still hit all the targets except squats and deadlifts (exercises I shouldn't do because of my back)

I kick ass.:D

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed, 100 % in agreement on that one.
    Altough there are some the preach the higher rep scheme for legs.
    The 20 rep squat is murder, that is for sure.
    Rule of thumb:
    6-8 for upper body, 12 to 15 lower.
    That of course does NOT mean if you make better gains with lower reps for legs that you should do higher.
    It is. like most advice on strength training, a starting point.
    I want to say it AGAIN :

Youre not REALLY TRIGGERING any Growth in your Nervous System , which Produces the MOST Strength gains without adding ANY Mass whatsoever , until you get down to the 3-5Rep Range .

6+ just isnt going to trigger it .

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 3:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And how many sets are you recommending?
    Rest between sets?
    Exercises per body part?

Sets Per Excercise are Variable , mostly depending on Wether its a Simple or Compound Lift , and wether its a Muscle (Or HEAD of a Muscle) that is Heavily Recruited by otner Lifts .

USUALLY , on an Excercise , most cant get it up for more than Three sets , Ive NEVER seen anyone doing 3-5 Rep sets that could go more tthan 5 Sets at their Starting Weight , if Properly Set . Now , I , Myself , drop the Weight , and Go right back at it , right down till I can barely Lift my Arms (for Example) . This , of course , is more Advanced , and must be gagued by wether or not you have anythign Physical to do in the next few days .

Rest between Sets MAY Take up to 5 min at first , but equalises down to 2-3min per set . More time is needed for your Nervous System to "Reboot" . I use this time to do another Muscle , but Chatting Up the hottest Chica in the Gym is also Acceptable .

Excercises per Bodypart , again MUST be judged by the Bodypart . I have a whole GAGGLE of Shoulder Excersises that I do , due to the nature of the Muscle , and my Training Purposes , but not NEARLY as many Hamstring excercises . Working the Muscle FULLY , and in the Full Range of Motion is of Utmost Import .

Leg Day is my Religeon , and the End of it is my Hell .

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who and what are you responding to?

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whom :

Ronin69

What :

Im moving this over from another thread , as I dont wish to be Persecuted for "Threadjacking"
Page 1 of 16 1 234511 ... LastLast