Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 10:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Renzo Gracie v Frank Shamrock

I was watching the above fight and I was wondering about the illegal knees that Frank employed to get himself disqualified (if you haven't seen the fight, sorry for the spoiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPx7C-8Q3pM This almost seems like it could qualify as effective anti-grappling. Does anyone think this is worth knowing for self defense, or at all? Or does it maybe require some pretty good grappling to keep your opponent down where you can knee him anyway? Anyway, Frank's a dick. I'd love to see him fight Anderson Silva and get KTFO.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 10:46am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without being an excellent grappler, Frank would've been submitted or (T)KO'ed there.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^what he said.

Because Frank is a grappler he was able to effectively defend himself from submissions (but not stop a takedown or a guard pass) long enough to throw a few knees.
    However, he quite likely would have been submitted earlier in the match except for the retardo standup rules.

In other words, it was grappling not anti-grappling.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This anti-grapping labelling is getting to my nerves. Frank used grappling to deliver those knees. [/end of that topic (hopefully forever)/]

A much better topic of discussion is about the disqualification. Herb Dean said those knees to the back of the head were intentional (thus causing a DQ). He was in a better position to view this **** unraveling than us watching it via youtube.

Shamrock was a dick (I though we came here to fight), but that's just arrogance and ego talking. It doesn't mean it's an admition that he deliberately commited a foul.

The knees that landed to the back of Renzo's head/neck, were they really intentional? I would have thought he was trying to knee the head, in a general direction. That they landed on the back of the head/neck, that looks more like a fortuitous event, an accident.
    I dunno.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looked to me that he was getting frustrated because he was getting owned. The fact that he did it after being warned is telling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 6:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Without being an excellent grappler, Frank would've been submitted or (T)KO'ed there.
    Very true. In a more general context though, is this worth knowing, worth thinking about when you're there? I mean, on the one hand it seems like an eye-gouge/crotch bite sort of thing that's not gonna save you. On the other, if someone has you in side control, it doesn't seem like a bad option. At worst maybe it will disctract him and let you make some space, slide into half guard or something.

And just for you Macho, I won't call it antigrappling anymore. I was using the term to compare it to that kind of elbow to the spine, poke to the eyes kind of nonsense.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 6:16pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's not forget Renzo could have been reigning down knees from side or moving to north south.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    It looked to me that he was getting frustrated because he was getting owned. The fact that he did it after being warned is telling.
    Ohhhhh, that part I didn't notice. I gotta watch again.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've kneed people into submission from the bottom like that. When the person on top goes for their own knees, they become vulnerable to reversal. Frank was cheap, but Renzo steered his head into the knees to avoid getting legally hit in the body, which is also cheap.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 8:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    The fact that he did it after being warned is telling.
    So where is this at in the Video, because I watched it and did not see a warning.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast