Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 11:44am

Style: MMA, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kyokushin or Goju?

The owner of the school I train Muay Thai at has decided to move the MT class to 9:00pm, which is too late for me. Since that was the only reputable MT place where I live, means I have to look for a new MA school. It came down to Goju Ryu and a Kyokushin place that goes by the name GenjiKai (owner changed the style name due to political reasons in the Kyokushin kaikan, of which he is a 7th dan. Also they punch to the face and Kyokushin kai doesnt.) I dont know too much about either style except what Ive seen in sparring and fights in tournaments. What do you guys think? Any experience with either style? If you want to check out the schools they both have websites.

www.genjikai.com

www.unitedgojuryu.com

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 12:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only major difference between Okinawan, and even Japanese, Goju and Kyukushikai is that, Kyokushikai advocated full contact sparring much more than Goju.
    Other than that, technically, they are very similiar.
    Mas Oyama having studied Japanese Goju.

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    10/23/2003 11:37pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both these schools seem awesome.

As a Goju Karateka I will, by default, suggest this style. I think its a great base art. It's definitely a dynamic style offering awesome handwork, decent kicks, sweeps, weapons, with some basic jointlocks and chokeholds. (My ryu in paticular is very fixated on chokes.) The workouts can be pretty intense. Also while it isn't bare knuckled, contact sparring is a CRITICAL component of Goju. Don't be misled.

The grandmaster of the Goju school seems like a badass too with his boxing and kickboxing backround.

As for Kyokushin I am definitely impressed with the quality of their fighters. Any style that challenges the best MT fighters in Thailand definitely has my respect.

Other members here however can present a better case for KK than I can. Patfromlogan is definitely the go to guy for KK. Asia I recall is involved in KK as well, probably holds a shodan.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/24/2003 8:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choke:
    You train okinawan or japanese Goju ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2003 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats the differece between Okinawan and Japanese?

Is it just that Gogen Yamaguchi decided to create his own style and branched off from Miyagi or are there real differences?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/24/2003 11:45am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okinanwan Goju tends to be less competition oriented.
    More "hard" contact.
    But technically, the same stuff.

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    10/24/2003 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin,

I don't really know the difference between the two. The grandmaster of my style trained under Master Peter Urban who was under Master Gogen Yamaguchi in Japan. So i guess it would be Japanese then.

Though all the Goju styles stemming from Master Urban has been considered American Goju. My style is actually called USA Goju Federation Karate. So you could say it's an American style with Japanese roots.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2003 5:04pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive seen some Kyokushin fights before and it looks similar to muay thai but I wasnt sure of the overall effectiveness. I was curious too about the instructor because he said he doesnt emphasize contact the was the real Kyokushinkaikan does. I was concerned because Im interested in realism and effectiveness. I dont want to knock everyone head off, but Im just used to the contact of MT. But the instructor studied kickboxing so I think it will add some realism to it: i.e. punches to the face. I was drawn to the Goju school because Ive heard about the body conditioning and the hardness of the style. This school also has a "fight night" of a hour and a 1/2 of sparring and they welcome other martial artists. To me it sounds pretty solid, however I dont know to much about the effectiveness in their techniques. Ultimatly Im going to go to both schools and check them out, I just wanted to see what other peoples experiences are, if there is anything I should look for. Honestly Im leaning towards the Kyokushin because of location and similarity of style. I will email Patfromlogan, thanks.

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    10/24/2003 5:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I was drawn to the Goju school because Ive heard about the body conditioning and the hardness of the style."

Goju-ryu translates ::roughly:: to " the way of hard and soft" so it's not purely a hard style.

I.E. a typical Goju technique would have you deflect and redirect a strike then move in close and crush their jaw with an elbow.

or

Doing knuckle push ups till failure followed by a relaxing breathing excercise.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2003 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at both websites and the 'kyokushin' includes chi and tai chi and all and all seems less of what I know of kyokkushin than the goju dojo. It mite be a good school but...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast