supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir

:5ok:

Super Bowl Showdown set between Lesnar and Mir
    By Thomas Gerbasi

In a classic case of putting your money where your mouth is, new UFC signee Brock Lesnar – who has made no bones about wanting to fight the best the heavyweight division has to offer – will make his Octagon debut at UFC 81 on February 2nd against none other than former UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir.

The bout will be held at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada on the eve of Super Bowl XLII.

“It’s an interesting matchup,” said UFC President Dana White. “Lesnar is a great wrestler, a good athlete, and this is definitely gonna be a big test for him. Frank Mir is a former world champion who is coming off a big win over Antoni Hardonk, and he’s looking to get his career back on track while Lesnar’s looking to walk into the UFC and prove what type of fighter he’s gonna be by trying to knock him off.”

The 6-3 ½, 265 Lesnar (1-0) comes to the UFC with stellar college wrestling credentials
    ad
    that saw him earn All American status four times, win Big Ten Championships twice, and also win the 2000 NCAA National Championship. After leaving the University of Minnesota, the South Dakota-born Lesnar gained fame as a professional wrestler and also had a stint with the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings. In 2007, he made his mixed martial arts debut and annihilated Min Soo Kim in just 69 seconds on June 2nd.

“This guy’s not trying to duck anybody,” said White of Lesnar. “He knew once he got in the UFC that he was gonna fight tough guys.”

28 year old Las Vegan Frank Mir (10-3) was destined for stardom from the moment he stepped in the UFC Octagon, and he lived up to all expectations when he submitted Tim Sylvia in 50 seconds in 2004 to win the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Unfortunately, Mir’s career ground to a halt when a serious motorcycle accident later that year forced him to the sidelines for almost two years. His eagnerness to return forced him into some spotty performances when he did return in 2006, but at UFC 74 in August, Mir was back in top notch form as he submitted Antoni Hardonk in just 77 seconds.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8534

Ugh.
    I may have to go with Lesnar by TKO punches 2nd round. :dead:
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:02am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what is wrong with UFC. A guy who has fought only one MMA match (?) gets matched up with a former champ. If he wins, he stands a good chance of landing a title shot. There is no working up the ranks, like in boxing. Thus inexperienced guys are featured as champs and on major cards. Brings quality down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:07am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    That's what is wrong with UFC. A guy who has fought only one MMA match (?) gets matched up with a former champ. If he wins, he stands a good chance of landing a title shot. There is no working up the ranks, like in boxing. Thus inexperienced guys are featured as champs and on major cards. Brings quality down.
    Yeah but Lesnar is a super athlete and Mir was a champ like 4 years ago. And Mir's last few performances were meh...so it seems like a fair enough match up for me.

You want to see mismatches, you need to look at K1 shows.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:10am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But Lesnar is a marquee name..like it or not he will put asses in seats.

If Mayweather made the switch he would not be fighting through dark matches he would be put in a high profile bout. It is just good business sense

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not so sure this is a good match up for Brock. We have no idea what his submission defense is like, and Mir is very good off his back. Just ask Tim Sylvia.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    A guy who has fought only one MMA match (?) gets matched up with a former champ.
    A former champ who never successfully defended the title, and is 2 - 2 in his last four fights, with one of those losses coming to a guy who had fought only one MMA match.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fatherdog is right but I want Mir to win this.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:48am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    F14 FTW!!!!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:49am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a soft spot for Brock Lesnar, he escaped the meat grinder of Pro Wrestling before it destroyed him, he's an AMAZING amateur wrestler, and he really wants to get in there and fight the toughest guys he can find. I hope he shows that he's more than just Monster with great wrestling. I also hope he passes the drug tests....
    I hope the fight isn't one sided, I'd love to see it go to round three and end in a KO/TKO by Lesnar.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 11:59am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The snob in me wants Lesnar to lose, I can't help but feel he is a bad rep for the sport. But at the same time, he does deserve respect as a genuine wrestler and athelete. I'm curious to see if he will pass a drugs test though, I don't see how anyone could get that big otherwise.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast