Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 9:25am

Style: BJJ/MMA - running away

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tips on being a better training partner

It's very important for me to try to be a good training partner, therefore I am a bit annoyed by the fact that I really suck at holding thai or focus pads for drills and such. Maybe someone has tips on how to do that better. Generally using pads.

...and Since I'm asking, any tips on how to be a better training partner generally?

I do my hobbyist BJJ and MMA training and I try to be as helpful and friendly as I can, being in a positive environment being very important to me and I assume it is so for other people too (don't start on why I post here then :happy8: ).

... I'm pretty sure there are other threads on this but my search fu sucks.

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 11:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say communication is key, always ask if you're not sure. "Am I holding these pads right?" "Am I doing this drill right?" Etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point, communication is always important. Thanks for answering.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In an shameless attempt to bump my own thread. I'm going to post some tips that I've heard and I, right or wrong, think are good.

Always clean up your stuff. Nobody wants to grapple someone who stinks. What I try to do is shower right before practice, at the gym or right before I leave home, not use any cologne or even deoderant, when you're rolling on the floor, the smell of their cologne can overpower you. You might want to use deodorant but use one with a neutral and mild smell if you can (this is possibly me just nitpicking)

Cut nails, cutting other people sucks for both you and them.

Try to bandage or cover bleeding cuts or scrapes, don't bleed over your training partner and the mats.

Don't force submission full speed while training, in the sense that you don't want to injure your training partner in search of "winning". Guess again, you lose by being an asshole.

Generally speaking don't injure your training partner.

Take off rings and other jewerly, it can both hurt you and your training partner. Also be careful of workout clothes that have zippers and such that can cut people.

Don't go too hard or too soft in drills that call for a certain level, ask your instructor.

You might want to try to avoid bring drinks onto the mats themselves, depending on your gym's policy.

Always try to be friendly and helpful. A positive environment helps.

Show up with all gear and protective equipment required for the class. You can be effecting your training partners training in a negative way, if for exsample, you're not wearing a mouthguard in a striking class. As for myself, I always wear a cup and a mouthguard, BJJ or striking. I'll wear 16 oz boxing gloves and shinguards per club policy when it applies.

In line with that, try not to use totally inapprioate gear when you can avoid it. Such as sparring with much lighter gloves than everybody else, when there is a policy on these things.

I'm not pretending to be an authority or even knowing what I'm talking about, this is simply stuff I thought was good, I'm open to constructive critisim.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    11/07/2007 12:38pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When drilling a technique, apply a logical amount of resistance to your training partner. Don't go all out defense mode and don't let them apply the submission, but also, don't turn into a grappling dummy and be limp and easy to move.

Try to apply enough resistance so that they can pull off the technique.