225014 Bullies, 3666 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 9:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember that video from a while back... are they rolling on hardwood floors??

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 11:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tukkong, Gongkwon Yusul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, its a normal padded floor - its just the design of the floor covering.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 11:43pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    i'm not saying bullshido,. but it looks hella mcdojo, or don't you notice the whole certification to teach and blackbelt through video section of their page?
    sorry, wasn't defending the site just what i've seen heard of the system... didn't read your post all that well.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/11/2007 10:50am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M&M, your posts have been moved here so as not to distract from the point of this thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 12:23am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a one-day seminar in gongkwon yusul and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got my arse handed to me on a platter, as my grappling skills = 0. I think they do practise a few flashy-but-not-so-useful taekwondo kicks, but largley, I would imagine someone with solid gongkwon training would hold up much better in an MMA or street fight than those from other Korean styles. Most of the fights I saw between their students went to ground pretty quickly.

As the training keeps a lot of the traditional manners, dress, bowing, etc, I could see it as a good gateway for taekwondo/hapkido students into grappling and alive fighting without having to give up the familiarity of a TMA school - which is a big thing for many martial artists, I think.

I can vouch that it isn't bullshido. The standard and practical skills of instructors I saw was extremely high, although those guys pretty much train all day, every day and typically hold Black-belts in several other arts. It would be interesting to see how the style would hold up transplanted to the West and with complete amateurs.

Still, I'd love to see how one of their top fighters would go in an MMA tournament.
    Last edited by retrograde; 12/31/2007 11:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 10:51pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, am I correct in assuming that the only place this art is currently being taught is Korea?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope, apparently you can learn it in Australia and Brazil.

However, neither of those guys seem to have trained in it for more than a few weeks and through some videos. GKYS is based in hapkido, so it may be easier for a hapkido instructor to learn, but I'm not sure how much you can learn in a few weeks. From what I understand, many of the Koreans training in it in Korea already have Black-belts in hapkido and other arts and train in GKYS almost every day. The Brazilian guy seems to also teach BJJ, though, so he may be a decent grappling teacher anyway.

I believe there are some Westerners living in Korea who train in it regularly, and eventually I'm sure some of the Korean instructors will move to the West to teach, too. I'd probably wait.
    Last edited by retrograde; 12/29/2007 11:15pm at .

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 9:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Applied Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have commenced training with the only authorized instructor in Australia. I can assure you he is a accomplished martial artist with dan grades and instructor certifications in TKD, Japanese Jiu Jitsu, JKD (Dan Inosanto) and Hapkido.

I think it will take about 5 years to see some very good first generation GK blackbelts.

Although a lot people consider it to be a derivative of hapkido, I see a whole lot more of judo. The focus is very much on competitive application.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll take your word for it on the other qualifications, but is it true that these guys got their black belts/instructor's certificates after only a few weeks of training? Or, as someone said up-thread, is the website inaccurate?

If I get down to Melbourne at some point, I'll try to come in.

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 12:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Applied Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is true, I think a lot of certifications will be issued in quick time to build some momentum.

I guess it is a question of selecting people with sound experience and skills.

Also note that the syllabus is reasonably simple and a lot of the moves would be quite common. Any exponent of Muay Thai could easily handle the stand up and anyone from a judo/grappling background could take on board the ground skills will relative ease.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast