Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 8:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoThrowdown View Post
    You havent practiced GKYS either but yet judge if it is mcdojo or not?
    Yes. Do yourself a favor and learn how to read, this is actually getting ridiculous.

You said you understand the definitions of the terms Bullshido and McDojo yet, you still say silly things.

McDojo doesn't mean the techniques are ineffective.
    It doesn't mean the practitioners all suck.
    It doesn't mean that a McDojo is a bad art.
    It doesn't mean that the school necessarily sucks.

See, there is a difference between calling an art a McDojo and saying something you never practiced legit.

Again Business practices vs technique.

I don't have to experience jumping down a ravine, in the Grand Canyon, to know I will die. I do have to a hike trail, in the grand canyon, to comment on its true difficulty.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 8:27am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the entire thread before you post again, especially the reviews of people who have experienced the McDojo practices of Gongkwonyusul in the United States.

Also, familiarize yourself with this site, because it seems you don't understand the point of this thread.
    If you understand English, one iota, it is explicitly stated the problem is in the American GKYS.

The people in Korea, training at the actual schools, are happy with the training. Most of the posters gave it glowing praise. One poster said the WEBSITE screamed McDojo. Two other posters downed the AMERICAN GKYS SEMINAR.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 8:41am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I'm thinking young FOB feeling the need to defend Daehan Minguk?
    Ffttt. If he does feel the need for that, MA is definitely not high on any list of things that South Korea needs defending on. Especially not with GKYS since it's actually respectable compared to most other KMA out there.

If he wants to start defending, he should start with criminal justice system in South Korea. In particular the Jo Doo Soon (조두순 사건) formerly known as 나영사건 of child sex abuse. This case is f-ing brutal and cause for light sentencing is a joke.
    Last edited by babo78; 10/16/2009 8:53am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 11:44am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You havent practiced GKYS either but yet judge if it is mcdojo or not?
    As explained before, the content of the art is not what is judged when deciding if an Association (not an art) is McDojo or not. It is the practices of the association, in teaching, in promoting, in rank, that determine whether or not it is McDojo. I don't have to practice BJJ to see that handing out rank of the Internet in exchange for money like the Gracie Academy does is a McDojo practice.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 11:45am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. I am inspired by Master Kang and his efforts to improve KMA by going beyond tradition. I love my country and my culture. I came to US when I was 10.
    Good, stay proud, but don't make it false pride or bravado.

Don't jump to defend things before you completely understand them.

Some of us were very interested in Gongkwonyusul & couldn't wait for it to come to America. We were disappointed, not with the system, but with how we saw it being promoted.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2009 10:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Gongkwon Yusul came out at the wrong moment in MA history.
    In korea during 1996, its creation year, MMA and bjj didnt exist. So many martial art masters criticized it because it looks like "street fighting". When bjj and mma came to korea, it's name and presence is overshadowed by presence of mma and bjj. Due to popularity of grappling it got more attention though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 2:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kuk Sool Won

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't visited any of the schools in the US, but from what I have seen of it on youtube, I am deeply disgusted. What the **** is wrong with these people, is it their absolute intention to single handedly destroy the reputation of a new born art?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 7:50am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Gongkwon Yusul came out at the wrong moment in MA history.
    In korea during 1996, its creation year, MMA and bjj didnt exist. So many martial art masters criticized it because it looks like "street fighting". When bjj and mma came to korea, it's name and presence is overshadowed by presence of mma and bjj. Due to popularity of grappling it got more attention though.
    No, I disagree promotion is everything. If Royce Gracie lost we would all still be arguing about, TKD vs Kung Fu and who has the strongest kata. It is your marketability. If the right people were chosen, who knows what would have happened. Krav Maga and other RBSD became huge until, they succumbed to the same poor BS as Kungfu, Krotty, and TKD.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910