Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 1:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, Basic JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I was just questioning my closed and open handed techniques taught to me prior to my discovery of the PT open handed strike/slap( I felt I may have been training in error). In my quest to find Pekiti Tirsia videos, I stumbled across the "Mind Body and Kickass Moves" video on PT and I misunderstood the instructor explaining to the host that punching was not something they did, period. I saw other videos including elbow strikes and some pretty neat looking knifework and stickwork, but was unclear as to whether or not the punch or any other hand strikes were used. I had no doubt that the PT open-handed technique would work, I was just questioning the validity of the hand strikes I had been taught prior to the discovery of PT strike.

(forgive my ignorance)

Needless to say I was impressed by all the PT info(gleaned mostly from the Bullshido kali forums and various PT sites) and videos I saw and seems like something I'd like to pursue wholeheartedly.

Mind, Body and Kickass Moves "PT" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXfZ9C9vJso

Sorry once again for being longwinded, but I'm almost 90% sure most of you are glad I wasn't some LARPer jerkass preaching about my "1337 shaolin ninjitsu sword techniques 0wnz0ring Kali!!111 "

;)

Again, thanks to all.

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 2:23am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So obviously punches work. The empirical evidence support the "punches can knock a guy out" theory are kinda overwhelming. As to if you were taught punching in a way that produces that effect, show up to class a few minutes early, hit the heavy bag, and I'll tell you.

Pekiti doesn't have western boxing punches because they don't build off of the gross motor movements from the weapons skills, and the system is built around weapons and THEN empty hands, not the other way around. Other filipino systems have knifework that is similar to punching, and thus you get panatukan. Tuhon Gaje overstates this because he overstates everything, and if you put a camera in front of him he'll pretty much never admit someone else's stuff works.

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 2:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh, that makes sense (weapons then empty hand).

I'm sure my punches are ****, but any criticism is welcome.

Sorry, if all this came off as silly and over-extended.

Cheers!

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 12:02pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh forgot to mention. The dedicated empty-hand class is thursday at 7:30

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 3:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks, dude.

btw in looking for PT videos I found this LEO surviving edged weapons video, with Tuhon Gaje from the 80's I think. It's got some goofy-ass sex-ed style narraration.

All of the footage with Tuhon Gaje is cool though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNovzbq3KI
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12