Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 12:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ITF TKD, Basic JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question Regarding open handed Pekiti Tirsia strikes.

Hullo, this is my first posting in the Bullshido forums, though I have been reading for a while. I will state my martial experience as being incredibly limited at best one year of ITF TKD under my father (3rd dan TKD instructor who crosstrained a bit in traditional jujitsu,[not sure which Ryu] ) I was taught no forms or anything along those lines my training was mostly what one might call "basic self-defense"( elbow strikes, stomp kicking to the feet and knees and headbutts, basic stand up traditional JJ, gouges, etc...)
    [essentially all the self defense **** everyone teaches]

Anywho, I couldn't help but notice the open handed strikes used in Pekiti Tirsia and can't help but feel that the fist strikes and other open handed techniques I was taught aren't as effective. Therein lies my question. Those who have trained in FMA specfically PT do you find fist strikes and other traditionally open handed strikes to be obsolete? I know I'll probably get flamed but I'm not here to disprove any styles effectiveness in any arena I have nothing but respect for all Martial Artists and their dedication to whatever art they study.

My primary concern is effective self defense, I'm actually trying to find a PT training hall in Austin, Tx but I keep coming up empty handed.

anyone who could elaborate on PT slapping/open handed strikes I would more than appreciate, I'm a 21 year old kid, so please don't think I come to you all with the mindset that I'm some badass n1nj4man. My martial skills are mediocre at best and just want to become better. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I come to you with an open mind, truthfully.

P.S: sorry if that was longwinded, searched the forums and again came up empty handed.
    Last edited by captainweezel; 11/04/2007 5:13am at .

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 12:07am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't comment on PTK open hand strikes but Here is Leslie Buck's school in Austin. All the contact info should be current. Also Selfcritical and Question! are his students and they should be able to answer your questions..

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 12:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks for the link, and not torching my ass one step in the door.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can tell you they hurt quite a bit. Even more so from Tuhon.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 11:50am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainweezel
    Thanks for the link, and not torching my ass one step in the door.
    Heh, no worries. The style forums tend to be a bit more friendly unless someone is just being ridiculous, then people tend to get a bit upset.

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 3:08pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fist strikes/punches are very naturally accurate, and the hard edges of your knuckles are more like to tear flesh/cut than open handed strikes. Slaps are very good for stunning, are very unlikely to break your hand, and more importantly, can use the same motions and skills as your weapon training.

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Class is tonite at 7pm

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

selfcritical, I can't thank you enough for your guidance. Tonight is rather short notice, so I wouldn't be able to make it to observe. I would love to attend as an observer sometime in the near future though is there anything I should know before attending? I'm well aware of training hall etiquette (politeness, respect, etc...). But just in case if there's anything I should take into account, let me know.

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's pretty informal. tommorow night we have class at 8:30, ditto Wed. Tuesday we have open sparring.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 1:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should train with Leslie Buck's group. I went to one of the Texas Kali Mastery camps and they emphasize good basics and train intensely. I was impressed by all of the instructors I worked with at the camp, especially Erwin Ballarta.

As far as the slapping techniques go, you can generate as much power from a forehand slap as an overhand right (same angle of attack) as long as you train it. Like Red Elvis said, they hurt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast