Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 11:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Coach
    By internal and external, are you guys saying that I lack exercise that rotate outwards? I don't know much about lifting weight. I'm just doing what my dad told me and he's pretty thick for a man his age.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1785278

Go to page 2 of that and look at the "JT workout" section. If you have free time, read the whole thing, it'll really benefit you.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 11:18pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted to your Sherdog post to, thought Id put it here anyways.

When you run you will be using your glycogen stores, which will then be empty if you lift immediately after. This will limit your weight lifted but also cause other problems.

If your tired from running, how will you feel trying to do a complex exercise, such as the squat? Trying to balance a large weight on your back while tired is not a good idea.

You can however run afterwards without having to fear an injury (at least without all that weight on your back).

So thats the big reasons I would run afterwards. Weight lift, have a shake or something small to eat, then run.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 3:53am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GIJoe there are also other reasons besides glycogen stores that make running before lifting undesirable. Sprinting is one of the most demanding activities on your nervous system because it requires both extreme muscle fibre recruitment and also high levels of co-ordination. If you attempt to start heavy weights after sprinting (is involved in HIIT) then your going to run into trouble because you are trying to get a heavily fatigued nervous system to start recruiting near maximal levels of motor units. Empty glycogen stores is also trouble some because the body does not have the necessary fuel for the ATP system to work and that is what provides the muscles with energy.

Emevas is teh correct. Emevas what is your background by the way? You seem to be one of the few powerlifting guys around :)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 1:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't quite know what you mean by "background", but I was lifting at 14 doing stupid stuff like bench curling, wrestled and stuff through high school, got serious about lifting in college towards my junior year. I've trained a bit of powerlifting and strength training ala Pavel, but haven't competed. The alphabet soup of organizations and all the gear and stuff just isn't desirable to me at the moment. If I can ever swing a raw meet, I wanna do it. Strongman is appealing as well.
    "Emevas,

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 3:39pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Notwithstanding all the other advice in this thread, it seems to me that running a mile is not much at all. Even with intervals. I'm not sure it will have much effect, depending on what shape you are in. All the same, you would be better to straighten out your routine as the others suggest.

Inward rotation? :raises hand: The main problem was with slouching 12 hours in front of a computer. When I added weights my shoulder went nuts. I thought I was balancing my muscle groups, but not enough. A little bit of PT and adding some rehab exercises fixed it in a few weeks.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 7:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meataxe your right in that running a mile, even HIIT style, before training isnt going to kill them. What it does do however is limit your gains both in the amount you can lift but also puts you in a disadvantage nutritionally. Why would you not just organize your schedule as to avoid this situation. The OP has given us nothing to suggest he doesnt have the time to do this.

Thanks Emevas that was the type of 'background' I was looking for. Perhaps I should be more specific next time, could inadvertaintly find out some rather disturbing infomation.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 2:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining_Blood
    Meataxe your right in that running a mile, even HIIT style, before training isnt going to kill them. What it does do however is limit your gains both in the amount you can lift but also puts you in a disadvantage nutritionally. Why would you not just organize your schedule as to avoid this situation. The OP has given us nothing to suggest he doesnt have the time to do this.

Thanks Emevas that was the type of 'background' I was looking for. Perhaps I should be more specific next time, could inadvertaintly find out some rather disturbing infomation.
    Ah, didn't know if you were asking for like degrees in the subject matter or something.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Na your alright mate. I worded it to vaguely.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12