Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 7:50pm

Style: Hawaiian Okinawan Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Running/Jogging before lifting?

Is it ok to run a mile before lifting? I do arm exercises on mondays and chest exercises on saturdays. I was wondering if running a mile before lifting is safe or detrimental. Should I run after lifting? Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 8:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, by running I mean Jog for 50 seconds then sprint for 10 seconds. Then repeat till I completed 5 mins or a mile. My goal is to get better cardio. My exercise routine right now is Mondays-Lift-arms
    Tuesdays-Traditional Kempo Class
    Wednesdays-Shadowbox for 30 mins(Bas Rutten Workout)
    Thursdays-Lift-Legs
    Fridays-Hitting the bag for an hour
    Saturdays-Lift-Chest
    Sunday-Rest

Thanks.
    Last edited by The Coach; 11/03/2007 8:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 9:23pm

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Running before lifting weights will decrease the poundage that you can lift for sure. The running routine you described follows a HIIT protocol which will be especially damaging to your lifts because it is very CNS intensive. This will be more evident the higher percentage of your 1 rep max you lift.

To answer your other question it is preferable to seperate your running from your lifting by a few hours rather than running straight after lifting. This may mean you need to run in the morning and lift weights in the afternoon or vice versa.

Your schedule also looks a bit of a mess aswell. Doesnt look like much thought or planning is in place. If your goal is better cardio then you need to place greater emphasis that. You will discover that the body part split you are using is very unpopular here because it is normally used by body builders. Full body or at the minimum upper/lower body splits are looked apon much more fondly within the combat sports community. If for some reason you insist on using a body part split you need revist the one you are using. Its just looking to build muscular imbalances. Without looking im going to guess its full of internal rotation movements with almost no external rotations?

I strongly suggest buying Ross Enamits books Infinite Intensity or Never Gymless. Both have been the starting point for many an inexperienced trainer. . He also has a very informative forum and many great articles for free. His site is www.rosstraining.com.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 9:50pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Raining said (on Ross stuff). Incidentally I was just reading one of his articles on jogging with a HIIT protocol a few hours ago (where he states one should do such a HIIT protocol 2-3 times a week and not every day).

Coach, my advice to you is to do it after you lift (or separate from your lifting .ie. do it in the mornings and lift at night or on separate days.) More on the same training session is not necessarily better. You won't be able to lift as much as you could (thus depriving yourself of its benefits and full potential) if you do a HIIT exercise before you lift. But a person in good shape can usually peform a meaningfull HIIT protocol after lifting heavy.

BTW, I don't like these arms-on-mondays and chest-on-fridays things (specially if by arms you mean bicep curls and such.) Stick to bench presses and dips for chest/triceps, barbell rows and chin ups for back and biceps (and deadlifts for back), and squats and deadlifts for legs. Check the sticky thread and follow the threads on the subject to get an idea ;)

-- EDIT --

You may need to clearly define what's your more immediate goal (cardio, better anaerobic capacity, strenght). You are all over the place ;)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 11/03/2007 9:53pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 10:03pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ty for the link i am going to have to go get never gymless

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 10:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. The workout that I posted has been the one that I've been using for over a year now. I just want to add some cardio into it because I'm joining the Police Department in about 4 years and want to get ready for it now. I also don't want to gas after 6 mins of sparring...

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Presently, you're setting yourself up for a bad case of internal rotation by only doing arms and chest, at which point, worrying about cario is the least of your concerns. As others have said, work your fully body.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By internal and external, are you guys saying that I lack exercise that rotate outwards? I don't know much about lifting weight. I'm just doing what my dad told me and he's pretty thick for a man his age.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh ****, of all the things said so far, Emevas' post > all the others. I wasn't even thinking of the internal rotation and its road to shoulder clusterfuck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 11:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should start doing these exercises?

http://www.spinalhealth.net/ex-rot.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast