Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 10:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kenpo guy stops the shoot in this video.

I'm a noob and am really looking at taking some Kenpo. I found this video on youtube and am extremely curious about how Mr. Soto stops the shoot in the beginning. On other website his response to someone asking that question was:

Hello everybody,

thanks for watching the videos and for posting.

About the question of the "shoot" I stoped my opponets momentum by canceling his dimensions with a pushing check at his hip, ading a ridge hand to the groin and an elbow like "Locking Horns" techinque, I hope that helps, thanks again and take care,

Respectfully,
    Any thoughts? If this is the wrong forum, I'm sorry. Kenpo is a striking art and my question didn't seem to fit the other forums. If I'm wrong, well, I'm a noob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgDUyhzksmc

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 10:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm serious. I'm looking for a striking art and I've been told Kenpo is the mother off all... blah blah blah..

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 10:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that video was ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by docwolfe
    I'm serious. I'm looking for a striking art and I've been told Kenpo is the mother off all... blah blah blah..
    I believe you've been told wrong.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 10:44pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please! A bunch of bitch slaps and a kick in the ass :ingun: :ingun: ! How is that an ART? If you want the real deal go to a good hapkido school. NOT Hapkido Self-defense - real honest to god Korean hapkido. If nothing else, kenpo just plain looks silly and the victims seemed very willing and passive. That arm lock is used in lots of arts.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a noob and am really looking at taking some Kenpo. I found this video on youtube and am extremely curious about how Mr. Soto stops the shoot in the beginning.
    That was not a shoot. That was an idiot performing a rendition of what he thinks is a shoot (ending up being a retarded paraplegic zombie attack). You wanna see a real shoot, a fast and powerful one, done by someone who knows? Then observe Mark Kerr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-t_1N4d6oc

Or Kid Yamamoto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhq9PIod6I

Or Frank Shamrock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Sjq9XOIzA

Or like these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6JAZNmm43c

Let's see if Mr. Soto can deal with that.

Any thoughts?
    That video is retarded, and so is Mr. Soto. Stay away from that ****.

If this is the wrong forum, I'm sorry. Kenpo is a striking art and my question didn't seem to fit the other forums. If I'm wrong, well, I'm a noob.
    No prob.

You have been told what amounts for blah blah blah. Sorry.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung-Fu, Arnis, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how Mr. Soto stops the shoot in the beginning.
    With a lot of mutual participation.

It's like the "attacker" wanted to get hit in the balls and have his takedown fail. I believe that somewhere someone is practicing some form of Kenpo that is really effective, but it's not there

P.S.

The ass slap was the best.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 11:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a noob and am really looking at taking some Kenpo. I found this video on youtube and am extremely curious about how Mr. Soto stops the shoot in the beginning.
    You realize that was a demo right? Everything in that video looks very much choreographed. Nearly all those attacks, and responses to the initial counters were ridiculous.

The shoot was terrible. No one will ever come lumbering in with their hands out and head down like a drunken bear with down syndrome. Go find shoot vids on youtube by grapplers and then compare. That isn't to say that a knee or elbows can't stop a shoot, but the way it's portrayed in that video is pretty stupid.

Any thoughts? If this is the wrong forum, I'm sorry. Kenpo is a striking art and my question didn't seem to fit the other forums. If I'm wrong, well, I'm a noob.
    Better off in YMAS or newbietown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 11:35pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't see a single SHOT in the whole video, I didn't even see a bad tackle, I saw I guy bending over then pretending to be hurt.
    notice to everyone, its called a SHOT not a shoot, shoot is a fucking verb, do you say 'he did a punching' or 'he did a threw'? no you say he threw a punch, or he did a throw, likewise he took a shot, everyone stop butching the terminology and the english language.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 11:40pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kenpo would be a great martial art if your martial arts goals are to wave your arms and legs in a really spastic martial art looking manner and make a career out of posting bad videos on you tube or perhaps as a C movie actor.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's extremely effective when combined with sparring and actual grappling. My former instructors are examples of this, one of which you can find here (who would kick the asses of 99% of posters here, including every staff member except, MAYBE Omega):

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=8092

However, I've gone through that exact sequence shown above with other, less MMA-based Kenpo guys and stalled them at every step, stopping their strikes and submitting or taking them down at will due to ****-for-base and superfluous movement.
Page 1 of 25 1 234511 ... LastLast