Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 6:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People will see what works and what doesnt. The people who say "Well the guys Chi meridian wasnt aligned" or whatever, will NEVER be persuaded. WHy worry about it?

Of course we must realise that each style is fought in its own ruleset which inherently makes it more useful. If I know that the Kung Fu is only going to try and play slappy hands (which looked like fun) then I am going to osoto-gari his ass over and over.

It all boils down to....people take an art because it appeals to them on some level. Many arent interested in its effectiveness (XMA anyone). Its just a hobby to them. Thats cool, to each his own.
    The problem comes in (as we all know) when the teachers of these arts tout them as the ultimate SD art.

The show doesnt make any claims. The simply show an art being learned and then used in its own ruleset.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 6:43am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    The show doesnt make any claims. The simply show an art being learned and then used in its own ruleset.
    Can they change the name of the show to Human quasi-Weapon or Human Artist? I mean, false advertising and all...

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 10:51am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    I don't see any problem in learning a wide aspect of whatever you like but the show should still make a better distinction between what will work in a fight and what will get your ass beat.

It could be as simple as Chambers saying, "Wow! that was an awesome technique they just showed me! But I don't know how well I could pull this off in the fight later on..."

If you think that equals wasted airtime then they should do some better research, use some common sense and only have Chambers and Duff learn useful techniques.
    I've noticed they tend to "bookend" the more specious guys with the more grounded guests so that the first guest gives them a good background, the second one gives them some pretty scenery and costumes, and the third one gives them some more practical stuff, etc An interesting side effect is that means the third guest often ends up critiquing the second guest for them. . .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 11:02am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I've noticed they tend to "bookend" the more specious guys with the more grounded guests so that the first guest gives them a good background, the second one gives them some pretty scenery and costumes, and the third one gives them some more practical stuff, etc An interesting side effect is that means the third guest often ends up critiquing the second guest for them. . .
    Obviously, you didn't watch the kung fu episode.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 11:06am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    People will see what works and what doesnt. The people who say "Well the guys Chi meridian wasnt aligned" or whatever, will NEVER be persuaded. WHy worry about it?

Of course we must realise that each style is fought in its own ruleset which inherently makes it more useful. If I know that the Kung Fu is only going to try and play slappy hands (which looked like fun) then I am going to osoto-gari his ass over and over.

It all boils down to....people take an art because it appeals to them on some level. Many arent interested in its effectiveness (XMA anyone). Its just a hobby to them. Thats cool, to each his own.
    The problem comes in (as we all know) when the teachers of these arts tout them as the ultimate SD art.

I sincerely wish, though, that those "other hobbies" would finally branch all the way out from martial arts, in name and association.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ddlr, you seem to be desciribing a situation where one might discover that, though chi as physical energy is bogus, it's meditative practices have merit as a way to calm and focus the mind. That may be an acceptable way to be "open minded", however, that is only a part of it.

I might discover that Master Wang knows damn well that whatever aspect of his tai chi doesn't work on the street and that he teaches it as a matter of respect for his teachers.
    What if Master Wang DOESN'T know that certain aspects of his Tai Chi won't work in a fight, and teaches them as if they do? That is the problem.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Ddlr, you seem to be desciribing a situation where one might discover that, though chi as physical energy is bogus, it's meditative practices have merit as a way to calm and focus the mind. That may be an acceptable way to be "open minded", however, that is only a part of it.
    I'm not addressing practicality so much as suggesting that other people have different priorities. The modern American MMA perspective sacrifices to the altar of combat efficiency, the traditional Chinese MA perspective might value several other factors ahead of that (tradition, health, whatever). When either side takes its own priorities and perspective (base-line assumptions) for granted, it's inclined to miss the point that the other side is making.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    What if Master Wang DOESN'T know that certain aspects of his Tai Chi won't work in a fight, and teaches them as if they do? That is the problem.
    In that case, I'd use the same rule of thumb that Harry Houdini did when he was investigating spiritualism back at the turn of the 20th century; first determine whether the individual is deluded or fraudulent, then act (or not) accordingly. Either way, it's a case-by-case process, as distinct from the knee-jerk "Style X is BS"/"Style X rocks" generalizations that end up being debated, to use the term loosely, in a lot of online discussion.

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 7:09am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    The modern American MMA perspective sacrifices to the altar of combat efficiency, the traditional Chinese MA perspective might value several other factors ahead of that (tradition, health, whatever). .

What a fuckin' load that is. The 'traditional' perspective would value 'combat efficiency' if anything MORE than the modern. Idiot.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 8:43am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    What a frelling load that is. The 'traditional' perspective would value 'combat efficiency' if anything MORE than the modern. Idiot.
    Why do you say that? H2H is only a small part of combat efficiency since the widespread use of firearms. It is much more efficient for the military to teach shooting and all its associated aspects, fields of fire, team movement, fire suppression, combined arms support, etc. Peace through superior firepower! Oohrah!
    :qleft3:

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/06/2007 9:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, but traditional arts don't teach firearms do they?

They teach twirly sword ****, presumably for use on the battlefield, or in some kind of duel. Those things can actually get you killed, so combat efficiency was probably paramount. You can't be an enlightnened ************ if you're a dead ************.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast