Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bill Duff comments on Human Weapon BS.

[Started in MABS, because I invited Bill here and want to keep the trolling to a minimum.]

http://boards.historychannel.com/thr...115&#800482115

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Hey guys, love the show. Love how you show the real fighting side of martial arts and end every episode with a real fight.

I was wondering though, how do you deal with some of the less practical stuff you get shown? Both of you come from martial art backgrounds that are very practical and straightforward; wrestling, MMA, etc. Yet, some of the stuff you get shown by the guest instructors (invariably it's the guys from the "history" section of the show) seems decidedly impractical and in some cases downright BS. Are you ever tempted to say something about it?

Thanks,
    Matt W.

PS. There is a thread for just about every episode of the show in bullshido.net, if you're interested.

[edited out links]
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bill Duff
    Honestly I never call anyone out on a BS move. A lot of the moves are culturally ingrained into forms, dance or kata. This makes them tradition and people hold them sacred. I believe a lot of it can be used in principal though, thinking outside of the box is a valuable tool in any fight. Some of these non practical moves force you to think of ways an enemy could attack you unconventionally. So I believe they play an important part in teaching both young and old martial artist a lesson.

Regards
    BBD

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's quite a diplomatic answer. Translated it goes something like this "Human Weapon is a hit with good ratings. I'm not going to jeopardize it by saying what I really think, I'd never get invited to half of these places if I did. " I can't blame the guy, he should milk that show until it turns into yogurt.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:17pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH, you're talking to the "Duff" himself.

I hate how people constantly bitch about him on the HW forums. I could possibly understand if real martial artists would complain they want someone with more technique and knowledge about martial arts (which is what a lot of bullies want), but the HW posters are angry because Bill tends to tie with/beat the "master" of their favorite martial art.

Anyways, I'm behind Bill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:19pm

Style: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say, that Rebbeh guy was a hoot.

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bill's cool, man. I like him. Don't know how much of his "character" is editing or acting on the show, but his enthusiasm is fun and makes the show fun to watch.

As for his response, yeah it's very diplomatic, as expected. It's also fairly mature. He seems to be saying, "yeah some of it's BS, but I don't want to insult these guys and besides, you never know what might give you a new tool to use." Of course, the mission of this site is to expose BS, so I'm sure we'd all rather see them speak up about some of it, but how long would the show last then? Anything that is ridiculous gets exposed on it's own by mere virtue of the show ultimately (and despite the middle "history" segment) being grounded on a real fight and real fighting.

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 5:00pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are not actors, so I'm pretty sure what you see is what they are. This is a good gig for them (him) so I would not expect him to critisize some of the stuff they see.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried asking the other guy on the show about this on mma.tv and got no decent answer.

The show is ****. The characters are ****. The premise is OK, but the execution is awful, IMO.

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 5:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have a link to that, Cracky? I can't search for threads over there.

I disagree about the show being ****, though. As I said before, for those of us that wish it was more about exposing the BS, it has a self correcting factor, which is the fight at the end.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 11/02/2007 5:17pm at .

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    . The premise is OK, but the execution is awful, IMO.

Agreed

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 7:06pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He seems like a good guy. People want BS- look at the Cris Angel/Uri Geller promo- they're more famous then James Randi, who exposes bullshit artists. Plus, some of these exposers have a sort of asshole, smartass vibe that people just don't like- Penn & Teller, for instance. I mentioned some of there stuff to my brother in law, who's an Atheist and a PHD, and you'd think they would be in agreement on a lot of things (it was in regards to their expose on mother Thresa), but as soon as I mentioned those two, it was like "Penn & Teller, yoou know those guys have an agenda.." On the other hand, the Duff guy seems like the kind of guy that would have your back, or you could have a beer with. Duff. Beer. Get it? Sorry.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast