Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 2:16pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Low Kicks in a street fight

I have wondered how this would work for awhile now. I used to think this was crazy. In your typical fight with average people (no serious training etc), whoever connects with a bomb first tends to win. But, I have heard other people say lowkicks WOULD in fact work in a streetfight, but I just don't see how this would work. I have been on the receiving end of hard lowkicks by huge guys, and I don't know if it was luck, or their experience and technique+luck, but my calve started stinging bad immediately. Still though, you would need a big guy to really deliver a lowkick with any effect in a strike or two, I doubt you would land 30 lowkicks in a row in a streetfight.

Anyways, do you people think that lowkicks have any place in a streetfight, or only if your name is Ernesto Hoost, Lloyd Van Dams etc? Anyone actually used lowkicks in a streetfight? Discuss.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 2:21pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbRuiKFgW0

No, you don't have to be big to deliver a decent Thai kick. I'm suprised someone who trains MT is asking this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 2:22pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hellzya. It keeps them guessing. Left jab, right cross followed by right leg roundhouse. You can throw it high, or smash it into the knee/thigh. Even if it doesnt take them out of the fight on the first kick, it gives them some pain, and something to worry about. They dont just have to watch for your d3adly hands, they have to keep an eye out for those stinging lowkicks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once landed a low inside kick in a street fight. It wasn't a very good one but it threw him off balance a bit and gave me a chance to move in and grab him by the shirt to start hitting him.
    That one ended in a draw though. Cops broke it up.
    I would smash a guys knee out with a kick if he really deserved it and was much bigger than me. Not the sort of thing I would just do randomnly though.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 2:47pm

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd worry about getting high enough on the ball of my foot & getting enough rotation for a shin kick to work in a street fight. I guess if you were on grass or smooth tile the rotation would would work but shoes would be a problem with getting on the ball of the foot.

I would definitely front and oblique kick all day long in a street fight though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 3:02pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    ... But, I have heard other people say lowkicks WOULD in fact work in a streetfight, but I just don't see how this would work.
    The kind of low kicks I'm thinking of are delivered with a steel toecap to the shins during a grabby-shirty clinch, rather than long-range thai kicks or even thrusting kicks to the knee.
    Shoes and boots make a huge difference to the potential of the right kind of kicking on the 'deadly streets'.

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 3:28pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    No, you don't have to be big to deliver a decent Thai kick. I'm suprised someone who trains MT is asking this.
    I never said that at all. Anyone who has trained MT and sparred with people who are <150 lbs and people who are >200 lbs would tell you that all else being equal, the low kicks of the bigger guy will hurt much worse, quicker, than the smaller guy.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 3:32pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't disagree there.

This is the bit i disagreed with

Quote Originally Posted by eldarbong
    Still though, you would need a big guy to really deliver a lowkick with any effect in a strike or two

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:14pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my personal experience, I've noticed that people are considerably lighter on their feet in an actual fight than when your spar in the gym. This translates to a much higher chance of you being able to stagger them or even completely sweep them.

I've only done this twice, but in one case he was staggered enough to stumble to his hands, and in the other case another guy's feet came out from under him. I'm sure this isn't ALWAYS the case, but like I said, people's footwork seems to be looser outside of actual training.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are we forgetting the fact that most people in the str33t can't fight for ****, they think they are alpha males when in reality they are not *, are completely unbalanced, are not grounded, bounce and keep their hands down (or try to do a rendition of what they think is the bastard child of boxing, Muay Thai peppered with stuff from Ong Bak), either fight completely flat in front of you or completely sideways?

More importantly, are we forgetting that such people have never been at the receiving end of a really good kick, and who usually lose the will to fight if they get their faces rattled hard a couple of times? What do you think the reaction of such people would be if you shin-kick them in the tights, just above or behind the outside of the knee?

And lastly, are we forgetting that we usually wear shoes (hopefully hard sole shoes), which can make things very interesting, where interesting means "really fucking funny and awesome"?

* Now, if the aforementioned person is a real alpha male and a scrapper, then things are different. Fortunately, most people are not, specially those who brag about it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast