Posted On:
    11/02/2007 9:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ohio Muay Thai Academy

Hope this goes here:
    Anyway, I've been taking Muay Thai for about 3 months now and well I've always had a single thought gnawing on my head for the longest time, "Am I getting the right/correct training?" I don't have any other knowledge of the art to base my experiences on, and well I decided to search the forums first, one thread came up involving my Kru, Tony Mosley.

It seems that I possibly may not be learning correctly? to quote from the thread: "6 amateur fights in 7 years" http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6418

Does anyone have any thoughts/knowledge? I think I am learning fairly well, and a couple of the guys at the gym are competing on the 10th. Are numerous fights an indicator to skill?

Thoughts/Inputs?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 10:12am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustiga
    Hope this goes here:
    Anyway, I've been taking Muay Thai for about 3 months now and well I've always had a single thought gnawing on my head for the longest time, "Am I getting the right/correct training?" I don't have any other knowledge of the art to base my experiences on, and well I decided to search the forums first, one thread came up involving my Kru, Tony Mosley.

It seems that I possibly may not be learning correctly? to quote from the thread: "6 amateur fights in 7 years" http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6418

Does anyone have any thoughts/knowledge? I think I am learning fairly well, and a couple of the guys at the gym are competing on the 10th. Are numerous fights an indicator to skill?

Thoughts/Inputs?
    Not a Muay Thai fighter myself, but I would think that competitions being attended is the most important part. The next most important thing being wins in competition.

Probably a good indicator. This thread belongs in YMAS. MABS is for saying my instructor claims 6 fights in 7 years, but he doesn't claim where or when.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2007 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    newbietown -->

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 2:21pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rustiga,

I too have had questions regarding the legitimacy of the Ohio Muay Thai School but have been unable to find much info on anyone involved there. I have not been able to find any records regarding Tony Mosley. I have not been able to find any information regarding Master Lek either (other than what he posted himself). Other highly regarded Muay Thai instructors in the U.S. don't seem to know who he is. I have spoken to several Muay Thai instructors including my own in Ohio who in turn contacted instructors in Texas, none of them had ever heard of Master Lek. Master Lek also gave the title of Kru to a woman named Hope Vitellas who runs a school in Grandview. As it has been explained to me it is a huge no no to give a woman the title of Kru in Thai culture. Ms. Vitellas also claims to be a 13-0 pro, but again I have been unable to find any fight record for her.

If you have any info about who either of these two Krus have fought I would appreciate it. I'm not saying their BS, but I just haven't been able to find anything substantiating their claims.

If you want to send me your email info maybe we can meet up and I can take a look at your Muay Thai and what you've been taught. I trained with a former Muay Thai provinical champ when I was overseas and I've spent the last 2 plus years training Muay Thai in Cincinnati. I am currently my MT coach's rep in Columbus, if your interested we can meet. I'm not saying you should leave your school to work with me, if your happy there that's great but if your interested in getting a second opinion I would be happy to take a look at what you've learned so far.
    Last edited by Ronin.74; 11/03/2007 2:29pm at .

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 4:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shedding some light

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I attended the Bando Tournament on 11/10 in Columbus. Ohio Muay Thai had two fighter take first place in their weight class, with one fighter receiving an additional award of Best Fighter (or maybe it was best fight) of the night. I had concern about OMT at first but seeing their performance in competition, I was reassured.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 4:16pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by workmaj7
    Just to add my 2 cents worth. I attended the Bando Tournament on 11/10 in Columbus. Ohio Muay Thai had two fighter take first place in their weight class, with one fighter receiving an additional award of Best Fighter (or maybe it was best fight) of the night. I had concern about OMT at first but seeing their performance in competition, I was reassured.
    That's good to hear. Where are you training MT at workmaj? Are you in Ohio as well.

Posted On:
    11/12/2007 4:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a student at OMT, actually. I had done my research online before joining. Never really finding anything good or bad about the gym. Been a member now for a few months, I was also hoping that I had got myself into a good gym. Everyone is very respectful and the workouts kick my butt, but wasn't 100% sure I was getting the best skills training as I had nothing to compare it to. Like I said in my last post, I am much more confident in my decision.

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 2:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OMT response

As an Ohio Muay Thai student for 4 years I would like to defend the entire system of schools. Regardless of experience, claims, records and so on, I know that all three OMT instructors, Master Lek, Tony Mosley and Hope Vitellas are all excellent teachers. You will find they teach old school muay thai with respect, kindness and a tiger hearted spirit. Rumors start-and thats fine-but any one who practices muay thai for the right reasons will find that being a part of any of these schools will make one a better fighter, person and athlete. Maybe Master Lek is not a tru mmaster, but he dedicated his life to teaching muay thai-what more could a student ask for-true dedication. He may have given hope the title Kru but that doesnt mean she is any less of an excellent fighter or teacher. None of the instructors claims to be amazing..sometimes you just have to see their skills to beieve what they can offer. I have seen Hope win at least 10 times with my own eyes. She fought for our US team in Thailand. That is no rumor-but regardless, she is an incredible teacher with all of her students having an incredible fight record alongside strong hearts and respect for their sport. I highly reccommend all three schools. try shortnorthmuaythai.com or ohiomuaythai.com you will certainly gain an enormous amount of self respect because you will surely be given respect from your teachers there.

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 5:06pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't have to be a fighter to be a good instructor (coach). A lot of the times, good fighters are not the best instructors. Judge instructor (coach) by his students.

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 5:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    You don't have to be a fighter to be a good instructor (coach). A lot of the times, good fighters are not the best instructors. Judge instructor (coach) by his students.
    This is is very true. While my instructor holds several titles and has a 29-1 proffessional record, I only chose to consider attending after looking into the local Muay Thai amateur fights and seeing his students dominating those events.

To the OP, if your worried about being trained badly I suggest finding out how your fellow students do in competition, and if they don't compete I would be concerned.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast