Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 6:23am

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    The sooner they faze out Judo, the better.
    Nah, even bjjer flunkies need a sport!

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I

The Olympics should replace it with Gracie Style Jujutsu.
    < Cue Machado / Gracie / etc. Argument of who has t3h r34l BJJ >
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, because it would fail in a craptacular fashion. It would be fun to watch though so the OP should try this strategy, video and report back for shits and giggles.
    *Shrug*

It worked for me. I guess I had wrestling takedowns to fall back on, though. The key is to avoid ACTUALLY pulling guard. Also, not all Judo BBs are stellar athletes trying to make the Olympic Team and against guys like that, I won't debate you, he would get fucking slaughtered for sure (as would I).

Also, let me make it clear, Shard is a complete fucking moron who should choke on a sausage and die.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 4:57pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cracky, I don't get your troll here - you're saying it's easy to not get thrown, by acting as though you are just trying to pull guard, but you can't actually pull guard?

I also don't get the "judo is about throwing" atmosphere here - the last time I checked the judo rules, a throw and a sub were the two ways to win fast. But then I think if a guy turtles, you should be allowed to slap the back of his head for a yoko as fast as you can.

I think the best response in the thread so far is the person that said "be honest with the officials" - that will eliminate any confusion that you're in the wrong division and forstall any accusations of sandbagging.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/03/2007 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't pull guard in Judo. It's against the rules. I'm not trolling here. If you don't know that much about Judo, then with all due respect, why are you even posting in this thread?

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 1:20pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    *Shrug*

It worked for me. I guess I had wrestling takedowns to fall back on, though. The key is to avoid ACTUALLY pulling guard. Also, not all Judo BBs are stellar athletes trying to make the Olympic Team and against guys like that, I won't debate you, he would get fucking slaughtered for sure (as would I).

Also, let me make it clear, Shard is a complete fucking moron who should choke on a sausage and die.
    If you are also a wrestler, then your standup is probably 10x better than the average BJJ-only-er.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 5:26pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't pull guard in Judo. It's against the rules. I'm not trolling here. If you don't know that much about Judo, then with all due respect, why are you even posting in this thread?
    That's not really a response to what I actually said.

I said, "cracky, I don't get your troll here - you're saying it's easy to not get thrown, by acting as though you are just trying to pull guard, but you can't actually pull guard?"

I'm well aware of the rules of judo, I'm trying to figure out this "strategy" you're espousing that miraculously keeps you on your feet vs judo BBs, who are "no great accomplishment" to school.

I will concede that it SHOULD be fairly easy to avoid a full ippon throw, but the way ippons get handed out in tournaments sometimes, and the fact that by the rules he describes, if he's thrown for less then ippon, he'll just end up back on his feet, prolonging his agony, make it hard for me to understand what you're saying- beyond the fact that you think whatever it is you do is awesome. (I'm sure it is, there's no need to get into it)
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 12:16am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh noes! The thread was derailed, but I couldn't reply yet! Wait... there's still time...

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned THIS little gem yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shard
    ...my Newaza can par that of a brown belt.
    Oh really? Can it? You didn't mention any BJJ/Sub Grappling/SAMBO/whatever experience, but I'm assuming you've had some BJJ experience (you'd feel confident with a gi). You're saying that your Newaza can par that of a brown belt. Somehow, I doubt that. Did you take the Judo SATs, and get a 500 on the Newaza section? You're going on a whim, saying that under this new ruleset, you're better than your peers at a certain aspect of the game. You probably just haven't had somebody clock choke you for a while. If you're even bothering to read this, and I doubt you are (I know I wouldn't), go to your dough joe and ron dough ree with some of the brown belts, find out if your knee wha zah is actually on par with that of a brown belt, or you just think it is.

That's all not to mention the fact that you'd be doing disrespect to your school. So, disregarding the blatant stupidity, it's not ethical. In wrestling, I'm pretty poor on the ground, but I can take down a Varsity wrestler about 50% of the time, but you don't see me wrestling at dual meets. You know why? Because I'm representing my team. If anyone does anything stupid like that, they're representing their own team. Poorly.

By the way, pulling guard is pretty damn lame. It awards your opponent a point (or ip own or whatever) in Judo, it wouldn't even be plausible with no gi, and in a street fight? Well, good luck with that. I mean, we've all heard about lava and broken glass, but falling on your back does honestly suck when there's no mat to cushion you. Pulling guard only works in a BJJ competition, and even then it's a bad idea, because by just training a little bit of standup you can get a much better position than just guard. Although, if you don't want to, that's fine too, I love showing up at BJJ tournaments and getting people in a Fireman's Carry.

P.S. there is no varsity wrestler that I can take down 50% of the time. Except maybe the 103 lbs guy. It was an analogy.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/05/2007 12:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't pull guard in Judo.
    You can, it's called failed tomoe nage.

Chambers in the Judo episode of Human Weapon got away with it twice. If I remember right in the commentary he said he was going for a flying arm bar and a tomoe nage, but they were pretty blatent guard pulls IMO. Frankly I don't blame him, it was pretty plain he wasn't going to do **** all standing.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456