Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 9:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee soreness during takedown drills

I don't know how else to explain this, so I'll come out and ask it. Has anyone else experienced knee pain or soreness right under the knee cap when doing duck walks and wrestling take down drills sans a partner?

I was thinking it's the kneecap itself but it's right under it. Basically it's the part that's parallel with the wall when I'm sitting down.

It's not like I'm SLAMMING my knee to the ground during the drills either.

Fortunately I don't feel anything on the side (I guess where the ligaments are) like I used to since I took time off and worked on my flexibility.

Any ideas on what this is, will it get better, or how I can make it better?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 9:49am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    I don't know how else to explain this, so I'll come out and ask it. Has anyone else experienced knee pain or soreness right under the knee cap when doing duck walks and wrestling take down drills sans a partner?

I was thinking it's the kneecap itself but it's right under it. Basically it's the part that's parallel with the wall when I'm sitting down.

It's not like I'm SLAMMING my knee to the ground during the drills either.

Fortunately I don't feel anything on the side (I guess where the ligaments are) like I used to since I took time off and worked on my flexibility.

Any ideas on what this is, will it get better, or how I can make it better?

does it hurt during any other drills involving quick flexing of the knees?

i'd get some kneepads and do it with them on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 9:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn
    does it hurt during any other drills involving quick flexing of the knees?

i'd get some kneepads and do it with them on.
    It doesn't seem to hurt other than doing these drills. I've done plyometric stuff (bench jumps or whatever the hell they're called) and other exercises and I don't really feel it.

As dumb as this sounds, I didn't even think about knee pads due to performing these on a wrestling mat but it makes sense. It seems that it's related to the impact of the knee on the ground possibly combined with me starting to run again (even though running by itself never hurt).

I just didn't know if this was coming amongst wrestlers and would sort of "go away" on it's own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 9:54am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds more like a ligament inflexbility issue than hitting his knees.
    I'd still put on the knee pads. Perhaps spend more time warming up the knees.
    Stretch after training.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Under the kneecap or below it? This isn't quite clear from your description.

If it's under, you are describing Osgood Schlatter disease.

If it's below, you are describing an overuse injury.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 10:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Under the kneecap or below it? This isn't quite clear from your description.

If it's under, you are describing Osgood Schlatter disease.

If it's below, you are describing an overuse injury.
    Well that's disheartening...the diagram to the right shows exactly where (the part where it says "pain below":
    http://www.stepnoutinzcoils.com/knee_diagram.gif

I need to research Osgood Schlatter disease. Is this a really bad thing, because that's exactly where the pain is.

EDIT: It says this is a kid's disease (I'm not a kid anymore) and in all my years of weight lifting and boxing I have never experienced it. Then again I was "cardio lazy" until this point and now I'm running alot.

My kettlebell trainer gets on me about squats to ensure that my knees don't go over my insteps on a squat, and I've been really careful about that.

I can't tell but it feels like it's BOTH jogging/running and takedown drills that have aggravated this.

After reading the article below it seems like it's stress induced rather than an actual "disease". I hope I'm right, I'm too young to have my knees go to **** on me now.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo.../bone/135.html
    Last edited by HongKongFukYu; 11/01/2007 10:08am at .

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 10:12am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    Well that's disheartening...the diagram to the right shows exactly where [...]
    I had pain to the outside edge of that spot when I began training BJJ, brought on by direct pressure rather than any kind of movement. I ignored it for awhile, assuming the area would toughen up, but it got worse and became tender outside of the gym. Decent neoprene knee pads solved the problem completely. YMMV.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 10:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies...I'm convinced it's lack of strength in the quad/hamstrings due to me taking a layoff from kettlebell and weight training.

I doubt it's that disease since I'm in my early thirties, but the pain is exact to the spot that they highlight. I'll just watch it and work on squats and stiff legged deadlifts, as well as icing it. Also stretching more thoroughly...I always stretch before but I suck at stretching after.

It has to be overuse and my lack of muscle conditioning at this point.

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 10:15am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have health insurance? Go see a doctor and have him send you to an orthopedist. You don't want to mess with your joints and be limping for the rest of your life from a hobby. BTW, if you keep abusing your knees without treatment, you can hurt them at any age. Take it from a guy that hears pops all the time when he gets up. I mean really, getting online diagnoses from guys that have never seen you is pretty silly. It's probably an overuse injury and you need some rest and then support exercises. Bars are full of guys that "trained through the pain" and blither on about how good they were before they got injured, and now they can't do anything. Unless you have a try out for TUF next season, go get help and do what they tell you. If you do, you'll thank me later.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 10:16am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm betting it is impact. I had the same thing. I wore kneepads for awhile and them improved my shoot form. Look at the flexible guys and watch how they do it. The good guys in my school barely touch their front knee to the ground. Its all about getting low ahead of time and timing your step right.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast