Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 10:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ causes Tendonitis?

Last night at my BJJ class, I pulled off an inverted arm bar on another student. He tapped, then told me I needed to be more careful when doing armlocks, as repeatedly applying an armlock to someone in BJJ practice will lead to that person getting tendonitis. Does anybody have any kind of statistics or personal experience on this? Should I be worried or was he just talking out of his behind?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long did you have it on for?, he probaly was trying to be manly and didnt tap as soon as you had it.

But yes I would think frequent heavy straining of a joint could = tendonitis in given joint.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inflamation and tear of ligaments and tendons is a risk on all joint locks. So, in a way, he's not talking out of his ass.

Having said that, it's understood that this is an acceptable and accepted risk that comes with training. Easy solution for the person at the receiving end is to tap fast and be intelligent.

And when things don't go as planned (which will happen), immediate application of ice on an affected joint or ligament and a NSAID (.ie. Ibuprofen) within the first 4 hours of a lock being applied (and taking a short break from training if needed), this makes a difference.

A person should always carry a bottle of ibuprofen and some icy hot, ready to be used when something gets pulled or twisted a bit too far before getting a chance to tap out. And that same person should go home after training and immediately ice the **** out of it, 15-20 minutes, and then again at least twice within a 24-hour period.

If your sparring partner is referring to you going balls out and cranking the armbar specially knowing the person won't be able to tap in time, that'd be an asshole move of you, and you need to be careful.

OTH, if that's not the case and he's just expecting to roll without having the risk of getting injured, he's having wrong (retarded) expectations. That will make him a lousy partner more prone to getting injured than someone who already accepts the risk and is on top of taking promptly care of injuries when they occur.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/31/2007 11:12am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 11:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me, it didn't feel like I had it in long at all (of course, for the guy on the receiving end, it may felt a little different) and I released as soon as I felt/heard the tap, I'm not a sociopath after all. I wonder...when I've been caught in inverted arm bars, it seemed to hurt more than a regular arm bar even after I tapped and got out of it. Does that variation perhaps put more strain on the elbow joint?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 12:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIRC it applies force on the elbow joint faster and more brutally than than a "regular" armbar. Consider the following: it can put the humerus bone extended backwards, and that has a couple of nasty side effects:

- it pushes the shoulder external rotators and the posterior/lateral deltoids to the limit of their natural range of movement and
    - it puts the biceps, pecs and internal rotators at their weakest point.

The effect is immediate, and there is nothing that can protect against/delay/ameliorate the effect of this sub on the elbow joint.

Maybe the dude is already injured, in which case, he should take a break, or at least wear an elbow wrap and let you know of it before rolling.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris