Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 8:43am

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thank for ruining MMA in my town, dumbasses!

http://www.tribstar.com/archivesearc...291232533.html

Hughes News & Views: No blond, no foul? Think again

By David Hughes
    The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — Some of you probably wondered why no results from Saturday’s cage-fighting card at the Zorah Shrine Temple appeared in the Tribune-Star this week.

Well, it’s because there were no fights.

On Saturday afternoon, promoters called off the event because too many of the scheduled fighters backed out at the last minute. That meant Terre Haute’s Shane Meehan would not get his chance to battle Fort Wayne’s Justin Wade for the vacant North American Boxing Council heavyweight championship in mixed martial arts.

Indianapolis promoter Fred Berns sent a fax to the Tribune-Star, addressed to me, offering reasons for the cancellation Saturday. But because I was out of town covering the Indiana State football game Saturday and off work Sunday and Monday, I did not see the fax until Tuesday.

In the fax, Berns mentioned names of three out-of-town fighters who pulled out Saturday morning. He added that one of them was supposed to bring “two additional fights” and another fighter couldn’t make it with three other fighters he was slated to bring.

Berns said another fighter, one not referred to in the previous paragraph, quit answering his phone Friday when promoters sought confirmation of his arrival.

“We are very sorry for letting everyone down,” said Berns, who promoted several of Terry Ray’s boxing cards in the 1990s. “In my 39 years in this business, this was by far the worst experience with fighters I have ever had. It’s not unusual for several fighters not to show up. That happens all the time. This time, we went from 11 fights to three overnight.

“Our main event was still intact, but you cannot go on with three bouts. Apparently MMA fighters are unusually undependable. I have learned a valuable lesson and will not get involved in MMA again.”

Berns apologized in the fax to Meehan, but Meehan doesn’t sound ready to accept it. He holds Berns and promoter Tony Delk responsible for the snafu, marking the second time this year that a cage-fighting card featuring Meehan was canceled on short notice.

Meehan said he called Delk on Saturday morning and Delk told him that he was in the process of transporting the cage to the Shrine Temple.

But Ray, who was helping train Meehan in boxing, called later to inform Meehan that Berns had canceled the card. Meehan eventually found out that the cage had arrived at the Shrine Temple before it was quickly removed.

Meehan is upset because he said Berns “guaranteed” Friday at least 10 fights would take place, with the possibility of an 11th and 12th.

“I wanted more,” Meehan said. “But if we had to do it with 10, we’d do it with 10.”

Meehan said he had already paid a $500 deposit of the $1,000 needed to rent the Shrine Temple, adding that he won’t get that money back. He also had paid $1,000 to Berns so Berns could purchase insurance for all the fighters.

Meehan said he is refunding all tickets purchased through him, but not tickets purchased through Ticketmaster. He said Berns and Delk must deal with that.

The Shrine Temple also lost money in the confusion.

Shrine Temple recorder Dale Jeffery told me Thursday that he learned about the cancellation at 12:30 p.m. Saturday. The card was scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.

“We had everything ready and a lot of people had bought tickets,” Jeffery said. “We had employees lined up to work.”

Jeffery said the Shrine Temple lost out on potential concession sales, adding that the office phone rang constantly Friday and Saturday as people were calling to ask about ticket availability.

“That [promotional] outfit isn’t gonna get another rental at our place,” he said in disgust.
    I know that the Haute's a pretty bad place when it comes to several things, but at least we were starting to get MMA here! Not anymore, though. Seems all the out-of-town fighters pulled out on the day of the event or the day before! What kind of bullshit is that?!

:cussing:
    Last edited by kendamu; 10/31/2007 8:46am at .

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 9:24am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there could be lots of good reasons, up to and including:

1) the promoter tried to **** them last minute with changes in agreements, shady promoters do this all the time, as when a fighter has trained for a fight for a long period of time, he'll usually take the fight even if he's getting financially fucked.

2) there could have been an outbreak of injuries or infections that prevented the fighters from fighting

3) there could have been last minute irregularities with the promoter or promotion that said fighters didn't like

4) bad fucking luck happens

I wouldn't make a judgement till the point in time when I had both sides of the story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 9:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just venting anyway. But, whoever is responsible, they need to be beaten by MMA fighters who are using other MMA fighters as weapons.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 9:39am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    there could be lots of good reasons, up to and including:

1) the promoter tried to **** them last minute with changes in agreements, shady promoters do this all the time, as when a fighter has trained for a fight for a long period of time, he'll usually take the fight even if he's getting financially fucked.

2) there could have been an outbreak of injuries or infections that prevented the fighters from fighting

3) there could have been last minute irregularities with the promoter or promotion that said fighters didn't like

4) bad fucking luck happens

I wouldn't make a judgement till the point in time when I had both sides of the story.
    5) The Haute f-ing blows... 4 years of living there taught me that. (Steve Martin even had a personal vendetta against the city, just watch the end of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid)

I'd like to hear the full story though, that town was in dire need of better sporting events than just cut-off-flannel-shirt-wearin guys going to ISU to watch the WWE

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 11:58am

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighters want to fight, especially if they've been training for a specific fight, they don't back out especially at the last minute, without a damn good reason. with this number of fighters backing out all at the same time, so shortly beforehand, there is something going on, something the promoter is probably leaving out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's the case then it seems that he needs to be beaten by MMA fighters using other MMA fighters as weapons.