Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 1:08am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lats are big muscles and you need big weight to make them grow.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 7:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Tsjun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok guys... so it seems that actually pull ups are the only option then.

I'll see if I can get some sort of bar available.
    Thanks for the answers !!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 8:51am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guy, as mentioned by other posters (myself included), you can use a tree branch, maybe monkey bars at a park, or you can pass a towel over a solid door (or a tree branch) and do towel pull ups/chin ups from there. Unless you want to buy a bar (which is a good investment anyways), you do not really need to if you have a tree branch or sturdy door available.

However, as wakinonioi said, at some point you will need to pull big and heavy. Chin ups and pull ups can do so much (unless you train towards doing one-hand variations of them) if you do them consistently for a period of time. Your lats will get used to it and won't get stronger/bigger anymore. They'll get strong, but not as strong as they could be (it all depends on the goals that will bring you satisfaction in your training.)

There are other things you may want to play with in the meantime, in addition to chin/pull ups. For example, some variations of hindu/handstand push ups will hit your lats. Observe the push up variation at mark 3:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1KvBoG8J78

Assuming you don't have a fucked up back, do that push up, but instead of bringing your chest flat, keep your torso as vertical as possible. That is, you'll bring chin/forehead to the floor. You'll tilt your torso, but insist in keeping the vertical line as much as you can (observe and obey your flexibility.)

Although it primarily hits the delts (the muscles on your shoulders), by keeping the torso vertical, it will force the traps (muscles running between/over your lats) to act as stabilizers.

Then, and this is the kicker, on the way up to your starting position, imagine you are dragging the floor over your head and towards your feet with your hands. This will engage the lats as if you were doing a lever pullover (link and pics courtesy of www.exrx.net):

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...VPullover.html

Keep that tension at all times, on the way up and down. This combined with chin/pull ups will make for an interesting workout.

At some point in your training, you'll want to play with rope climbs. They involve the arms and grips more than even the towel variations of pull ups and chin ups, but they hit the lats nevertheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzkNVQM_nmk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tayawkXCxvk

-- EDIT --

Something cute and funny to watch, a little kiddie trying to instruct her dad on how to do rope climbs :5baby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwd663TIw9c
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 8:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Tsjun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow El Macho... nice detailed reply !!

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 2:46pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While pull ups are the most obvious choice, if you're looking for a bit of variety try doing some swimming. Freestyle and Butterfly (if you can do it properly) are an awesome lats workout, particularly if you do interval speed training. You can add swim fins for extra resistance later on.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread has been cleaned, and you can read my position in this matter here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...84&postcount=4

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Let me put this clearly so that you don't miss it. These forums are moderated. People here are free to ask any questions on physical training, health and diet, irrespective of whether their questions are related to martial arts training or not. That's how it's always been.

Not every poster here is a pro-fighter. There are posters that train 6 days a week. Many are simply hobbyists. Others just train two. Others are retired due to injuries. Others are just getting their toes wet in MA not knowing if this is for them for the rest of their lives or if they'll just give it a try for a few months. Others are coming back after a long hiatus.

And there is nothing wrong with that, and in fact it's supported. And if anyone has a general question on health, physical training or diet, they are welcomed. And that's is the policy here.

If you don't like it, stay out. Nobody is forcing you to participate or reply. There is plenty of rope in YMAS for you to hang yourself with.

Please keep the thread on topic. Answer the posts made by the newly arrived poster if you may, and ask questions to him if you wish.

Make sure you make sense, or that at least you are trying to put some thought behinds your posts. For all other topics and opinions not directly related to the topics inquired by the OP, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum (and make sure you follow the rules, explicit or implicit, that are applicable to the forum of your choosing.)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 11/01/2007 3:53pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Get a bar, they cost like $10. Or get a tree branch, or a door frame, or a support beam, or etc etc.

I bought a pull up bar and mounted in my closet doorway. (MOM34 wouldnt let me mount it in the hall). The size of the door makes the type of excercises I do limited. I tried the towel pull ups on the swing set out back to day and boy did I get a workout.

I decided to do the towel pull ups on the bar in the door way tomorrow and see how that worked.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 6:23pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go climb something.

Rocks, trees, or as macho suggested a rope is an excellent choice.

I like rocks.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12