Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 4:06pm

Style: Kaju, FMA, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    Sort of an academic distinction for some, but Donn Draeger categorized fighting arts as either military or civil in origin (with obviously battle-tested/used arts falling in the former category, with religiously associated or family-heritage type arts falling in the latter).
    I agree with Donn Draeger on that and not just because he was the man. I believe anyone can practice military/warrior ways and therefore be a martial artist. The distinction I believe comes when you face people in combat where the only outcome is death. Once that is done I think you take the next step in the journey. You get to see if you live what actually works for you.

Though at the school where I teach have had some other vets stop by whose skills are not so good at all. I have noticed however that other military vets like myself seem to be able to retain and put into use techniques much faster than you average Joe sixpack. I have begun to wonder if it's the built in BS meter.

shenbitt

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shenbitt
    Though at the school where I teach have had some other vets stop by whose skills are not so good at all. I have noticed however that other military vets like myself seem to be able to retain and put into use techniques much faster than you average Joe sixpack. I have begun to wonder if it's the built in BS meter.
    I don't think it's necessarily the BS meter, though that certainly plays a part. I think it's the exposure to no-frills instruction, the "embracing" of material rapidly (we don't get much choice, right?), coupled with the BS meter, that allows us to quickly evaluate and integrate material. You just "get it" when you see something that'd work. Likewise, we can ID pretty quickly what might not work quite so well.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    I've found that I have had all these reasons. Upper ranks won't train because they don't want to be beaten by junior ranks. They think it will take away their authority. I often remind them that THEY give you the authority over them and that you don't already have it. You can tell your platoon to do something but if they all say **** YOU and leave there really isn't much you can do. A godo leader knows how to maintain their authority over others even if they get submitted by them.
    I can't believe that some people feel that way, that getting tapped would make them lose authority. What you said should be obvious. I mean, isn't that something you should have learnt and gotten over back in high school?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine1973
    Your comment reminds me of one of my father's experiences in Vietnam. In short, the afternoon didn't go as planned and he wound up in hand-to-hand combat. The rest of his platoon was likewise "engaged" and could not come to his rescue. He lived to tell the tale, but at one point caught a rifle butt to the head that made him "see stars".

I wouldn't count on a rifle, or friends with rifles, to always be available. Combat is unpredictable and things can go wrong very quickly.

Catherine
    Did you ever read "Green Knight, Red Mourning" by Ogden? During the Vietnam War Ogden ripped a dude's nuts off during hand to hand combat.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Did you ever read "Green Knight, Red Mourning" by Ogden? During the Vietnam War Ogden ripped a dude's nuts off during hand to hand combat.
    Video, or it didn't happen. :toothy9:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 3:20pm

Style: Kaju, FMA, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    I don't think it's necessarily the BS meter, though that certainly plays a part. I think it's the exposure to no-frills instruction, the "embracing" of material rapidly (we don't get much choice, right?), coupled with the BS meter, that allows us to quickly evaluate and integrate material. You just "get it" when you see something that'd work. Likewise, we can ID pretty quickly what might not work quite so well.

I agree. Really what I was getting at is the fact of the BS meter for what works and what doesn't for you personally. My big beef has always been, who cares what the instructor can do, what you can do is what matters. And I also love other vets because you can tell them to do something....and they do it. No questions no stupid ****, they do it and then ask why it did/did not work.

shenbitt
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789