Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by falconhunter202
    Noobish as this might sound, I was told by Bill Duff on Human Weapon that learning Olympic Wrestling made your Judo crap.
    You were told by Bill Huff???? Or did you hear Bill Duff on TV? Two different things.

Fact # 1 of life: don't personalize what you hear on TV.
    Fact # 2 of life: most of what you hear as fact on TV is bullshit.
    Fact # 3 of life: Bill Duff plays a "dumb" character in "Human Weapon". Should I say more? Should I need to tell you to not take what his TV character that seriously?

My question is this: Is this true?
    Nope.

If so, does it also apply to BJJ? JJJ maybe?
    Nope. In fact, good wrestlers that train BJJ are usually monsters worth emulating.

The reason I'm brining this up is because I'm on a mission to transition all the way from point sparring to continuous MMA. I've already done some kickboxing stuff (see my other thread), but I have almost no ground game. I know BJJ is the premier groundfighting art, and Bas Rutten proved that Judo works as well, but will learning wrestling in high school screw me over?
    Randy Couture. Sean Sherk, George St. Pierre, Dan Henderson, "Rampage" Jackson, Don Frye, "Tank" Abbott, Kevin Randleman. They all come from a strong wrestling background.

So the answer to your last question is no. Wrestling will not screw you over. What you do with wrestling - or any other skill set for that matter - may screw you over, but not wrestling.

Good luck with your training.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 10:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestlers should never, ever take Judo because I am tired of getting thrown by morote gari and pinned by white belts :cussing:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 10:43am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I could do one thing differently about school, I'd go back and continue wrestling from grade school. I'm a striker still (ground is slowly coming along), but man if I had the foresight 30 years ago... ;p.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like my high school wrestling team is gonna have one more member this year.
    As it so happens, I agree with Vin and disagree with Duff. Nevertheless (and assuming you actually corresponded with Duff and are not just taking something he said on tv as personal advice), LOL @ you taking some anonymous guy's opinion on the internet over someone who is actually known and has trained in both arts.

Wrestlers should never, ever take Judo because I am tired of getting thrown by morote gari and pinned by white belts
    Quoted for truth.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, no I was not TOLD by Bill Duff. Bill Duff SAID on TV.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using freestyle wrestling at Judo just about got my neck broke for me.

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 12:35am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    Well, Judo Olympic medalist Jimmy Pedro used to wrestle...

That's right. He started for Brown University. No mean feat.

The guy on our team I worked out with everday (a weight class above me) whupped him good each and every time. That is to take nothing away from him and is immaterial to this discussion, I just had to throw it in there.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 11:40am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't Bill Duff that same doofus that forgot how to execute a double-leg takedown on The MMA episode of Human Weapon?

Just checking...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 1:18pm

Style: Wrestling, Judo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does bill duff have any experience with Greco Roman wrestling?

IMHO, learning GR gives you a very good chance of walk into a judo club and not being just another rag doll beginner(even though you do need to relearn falling).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 3:21pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFukYu
    Isn't Bill Duff that same doofus that forgot how to execute a double-leg takedown on The MMA episode of Human Weapon?

Just checking...
    As was stated earlier, HE, the person, probably didn't actually forget, just as Stephen Colbert, the person, is probably opposed to Bill O'Reily. Bill Duff, the character of a scripted show, on the other hand, DID forget his double leg takedown on television, just as Stephen Colbert, the televised personality, loves Bill O'Reily, and even goes so far as to call him "Papa Bear" (although that's probably a joke on the fact that Colbert's show is a spoof on the O'Reily Factor, and Colbert's character spoofs Bill's).

It's just a television personality. Do you ever wonder why, even with their martial arts backgrounds and all the training they've picked up along the course of the show, utterly fail in their initial challenges, but after only fourty-five minutes (with commercials, mind you), they've suddenly turned to death-machines in a similar challenge? They're characters. It's very deliberate.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't at all subtract from the informative or entertainment value of the program. In fact, if they didn't play characters, the show would be very boring. If they passed their initial challenges, why even bother training in the new style? And if they miserably fail their final challenge, then what have they learned?

Sorry to go on this tangent here, but no, he's not the doofus that forgot the double-leg. His character is.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast