Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 12:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wrestling and BJJ/Judo

Noobish as this might sound, Bill Duff on Human Weapon said that learning Olympic Wrestling made your Judo crap.

My question is this: Is this true? If so, does it also apply to BJJ? JJJ maybe?

The reason I'm brining this up is because I'm on a mission to transition all the way from point sparring to continuous MMA. I've already done some kickboxing stuff (see my other thread), but I have almost no ground game. I know BJJ is the premier groundfighting art, and Bas Rutten proved that Judo works as well, but will learning wrestling in high school screw me over?
    Last edited by falconhunter202; 10/31/2007 10:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 12:44am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wrestled for a while, and in the offseason I started BJJ. Wrestling does not make your BJJ suck at all. In fact, it will help a lot. Now go train.

Edit: I also forgot to mention my friend David, who wrestled just as long as I have, and does judo. I know that he's very good at wrestling, and I'm pretty sure he's good at Judo. You have nothing to worry about.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 12:49am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no. that's moronic. bill duff = moron.

if you're talking about freestyle, yes, there's a lot of bad habits attached to freestyle that will get you caught in judo, especially when you're starting out, but the physicality, the understanding of movement, the ability to shoot, drive, turn the corner, the understanding of how to move in the scramble, all those things will serve you after you train out the untransferable habits.

if you're talking about greco, than bill duff = massive moron. as soon as those dudes learn how to adapt to a gi, the greco guys are ape **** good at judo. those skills are transferable. hell, alot of the greco attacks are contiguous with judo throws, but modified for nogi.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 1:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wrestled for a while, and in the offseason I started BJJ. Wrestling does not make your BJJ suck at all. In fact, it will help a lot. Now go train.
    bill duff = massive moron
    Looks like my high school wrestling team is gonna have one more member this year.

if you're talking about freestyle, yes, there's a lot of bad habits attached to freestyle that will get you caught in judo, especially when you're starting out, but the physicality, the understanding of movement, the ability to shoot, drive, turn the corner, the understanding of how to move in the scramble, all those things will serve you after you train out the untransferable habits.
    Thanks, some good information there. I assume this means you won't be assassinating Bill Duff?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 1:13am

Style: sport Aikido & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely not. I'm several years out of practice in bjj so I'm by no means a good example, but every now and then I roll with a guy that did both collegiate and greco-roman and he schools me on positional dominance. Guess that makes sense seeing as pinning and positional dominance are the entire point of wrestling. He does a lot of stuff that puts himself into subs, especially with his feet, but he is very aware of how neck cranks & locks work.

So yea, learn to wrestle while you're in school since its free, teaches position dominance, and you'll get the proper physical training. You can worry about the submission stuff later without a problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 1:20am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait... you're in high school and not on the wrestling team yet? Yes, go join! In fact, do it tomorrow! Go back in time and join last year! Run, now, run!

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 1:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm envious of Americans having wrestling in High School. In Australia, all we have is Monkey Kung-fu.

PS: One of the assistant coaches at my judo club is Japanese/American and used to wrestle. He said it helped his ground game a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 1:45am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Over here judo is offered in school. God damn if you find a wrestling gym to train in at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 7:21am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Judo Olympic medalist Jimmy Pedro used to wrestle...

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rocky Marciano, arguably one the best boxers of all time used to wrestle as well :o
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast