Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 2:40pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    "Trapping" is a tool.
    I think the word "trapping" is part of the problem. When someone says "trapping," most people immediately think of step drills where an arm is magically immobilized while an elaborate technique is delivered. Trapping, at least as I understand it, is really just standing grappling used to open up an opportunity to strike rather than (or more often in addition to) an opportunity to throw.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwak
    Renzo and most of the other gracies say you're wrong, as I'm sure do several other professional fighters if I cared to look into it, and yes its useful to know how far your opponent can punch or kick but that doesn't mean you should divide that distance up by techniques.
    Yeah, its not like the Gracie's specialize in one particular range and develop methods to maintain that distance.

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 3:43pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I feel spending time defining techniques and ranges isn't a practical use of my time.

That said however Renzo Gracie does have a section in his Mastering Jujitsu book describing what are essentially different ranges of combat(clinch, free-movement, ground). CodosDePiedra additionally makes a good point that almost every Gracie fighter's strategy up until now has been to secure ground control and keep it.

Posted On:
    11/01/2007 6:16pm

Style: Judo Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    I think you are making a rather large mistake here and assuming that _ing _un is about trapping.

Trapping really only takes place when you are punching someone in the face.

Dagon
    I didn't mean to imply that WC is only about trapping. I understand that trapping is just one aspect of WC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 5:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a letter in the Tao of Gung Fu where a Judoka ask Bruce about strategy in fighting. In the reply, he list down 4 of the Jeet Kune Do 5 ways of attack. There are Single Direct Attack, Attack by Combination, Attack by Drawing and Indirect Attack. Maybe Bruce felt Immobilization Attack includes Trapping and Grappling?

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 5:35pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow the OP-er is nowere to be seen... So traping, where else do they teach that? Because that was one of the questions.

Defense Against the Homeless Seminar, 2008

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MACP, Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdbuck76
    As a full instructor of Progressive Fighting Systems ( a JKD Concepts system) I can tell you categorically that "trapping" (ie tan sao, pak sao, all the FMA stuff) is NOT going to work in a real fight. That's why we've dumped it where we train.

You're better off learning the clinch range......neck control, pummeling, underhooking. Those kinds of things require aliveness. You're more likely to be grabbed up by someone once you start pounding on them than to have someone stick their hand out and freeze it.....holding "centerline".
    Color me impressed. I always love reading about systems evolving when they realize something isn't practical. I guess that's the whole point of JKD, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 6:04pm

Style: JKD, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mmmmm thread necro.

In the spirit of reviving dead arguments, I'm sure some people can use trapping effectively, but that number is pretty small. Most JKD guys in Ted Wong's group have abandoned it, and many from Dan Inosanto's group (including the place where I learn JKD) have as well.

And, at least in my only partially educated opinion, trapping is considered to be more effective in empty hand vs. weapons fighting cuz there's a whole lot less you can do.

Posted On:
    8/24/2008 10:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what I miss? Shidokan tournaments. Those fuckers could kick the **** out of you with a passion. Seriously. That **** made the UFC look like Olympic TKD, seriously.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345