Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 11:54am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For stickfighting, trapping can occasionally be useful, as you can entangle someone who is holding a long weapon. For empty hand, it is nearly impossible to entangle someone like this. What's more is the fact that as you are fishing around for his arms to entangle, he will be punching you in the face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 12:44pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendamu
    I've learned trapping in JKD Concepts. I was never able to apply it while sparring, though.
    no one ever has, trapping is a valid weapons concept which does not at all translate to unarmed combat. arms are not sticks, swords or magic wands, they're arms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 4:29pm

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy wanted to know if trapping works. I told him my personal experience (unarmed, anyway). It's not like I didn't read the OP or something.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 5:27pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clowns. Like anything else in combat, trapping is just another tool in the tool box. It's like learning joint locks, they're incidental/accidental and they don't come up all that much but they're pretty fucking useful when they do. No smart fighter TRIES to trap it's just nice to know what to do when the moment comes up.

Just because you can't make something work dosen't mean it doesn't work. I fucking suck and I can trap wearing boxing gloves ... and you generally do ONE motion, ONE trap to get inside and transition back to regular punching and clinching.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 5:32pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its been a while since I've done any JKD stuff, but I really can't think of anything you can get from trapping that you can't get from clinching, only better.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 5:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trapping is nice in theory, but it's awful hard to do in reality. The way I was taught in teh chun - it relies on the point of contact and trying to force a trap off something so fleeting is pretty difficult. Sensitivity drills and eye movement exercises didn't do me squat.

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 6:38pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    It's like learning joint locks, they're incidental/accidental and they don't come up all that much but they're pretty fucking useful when they do.
    Admin be damned, you should be required to remove BJJ from your style field for writing this.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 10/31/2007 6:42pm at .

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly is it that makes trapping so much more applicable to weaponry than to unarmed combat? Is it just because we tend to hold swords out pointed at one another when we fence, or is there more to it?
    I've done a little weency bit of fencing, but in general, I don't know much about weaponry, unless it impressing my friends by spinning a nine section chain whip around my neck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 6:59pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwak
    no one ever has, trapping is a valid weapons concept which does not at all translate to unarmed combat. arms are not sticks, swords or magic wands, they're arms
    The Dog Brothers disagree with you and resent you paraphrasing/misquoting them to disparage FMA.

Please see their Kali Tudo for reference in application to MMA/Empty Hands.

Traps in FMA are emphasized differently from JKD and WC based trapping.
    they serve as a transition range.

JKD/wc based trapping don't have a delivery mechanism and try to focus on it as a maintaining it as a primary range of combat.

in FMA its more of a transitionary range. You never fight to keep it. It's gone for during transition into, or out of clinch/grappling range.

and our heavy emphasis on footwork, positioning, range and distance provides a delivery system for the entries in applying it.
    Last edited by variance; 10/31/2007 7:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 7:16pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have nothing against fma, and I didn't misquote them I alluded to them, I am a fan of the Dog Brothers, and I in no way meant to disparage fma. the fact remains that just as a stick is not a sword or magic wand, and arm is neither a stick, sword or magic wand and the rules and tactics for dealing with them are different, you cannot effectively use trapping as a tactic or strategy in unarmed combat.
    Also I think the idea of ranges of combat is stupid, its impossible to control distance in a fight, people can close whenever they want to, and defining ranges in terms of techniques is even dumber, try and define kneeing range to someone who's been knocked out with a flying knee. If you're thinking kicking range you will miss opportunities for punches, elbows whatever, and its not possible to keep someone outside 'punching range' or 'grappling range' anyway, so why bother. So to me the idea of a transition through a range is dumb and useless. though I admit I don't have any experience with what FMA trapping may be, they may be valid with weapons, without weapons however, it wouldn't suprise me if they were a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by jkdchick
    Like anything else in combat, trapping is just another tool in the tool box. It's like learning joint locks, they're incidental/accidental and they don't come up all that much but they're pretty fucking useful when they do. No smart fighter TRIES to trap it's just nice to know what to do when the moment comes up.
    would you rather work on something which just happens once in a thousand times, or something which works consistantly and you can implement, into you overall strategy and actually attempt to do?
    Last edited by dwak; 10/31/2007 7:19pm at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast