Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 10:36pm

Style: Judo Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKD trapping.

Being new to bullshido, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, but here goes.

I've been going over the combat ranges in JKD and I'm curious as to which martial arts, in addition to WC and Eskrima, teach trapping. I realize that trapping is only a fractional part of combat. Is it worth learning, if so, is any particular system of trapping more effective in hand-to-hand (sans weapon) fighting?

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 10:39pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should probably post your question in the 'Newbietown' forum, lest you get torn to pieces.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 10:44pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagacious_Lu
    Is it worth learning
    No. End of thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2007 10:50pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the short answer no, its not useful to learn, its the wrong forum, and no one uses it effectively in unarmed combat, its principle of armed combat which is completely useless in unarmed combat. just wanted to make sure your question was answered before you were eaten alive, vomited up and thrown in a woodchipper, have fun.
    Last edited by dwak; 10/30/2007 10:52pm at .

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 7:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagacious_Lu
    Being new to bullshido, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, but here goes.

I've been going over the combat ranges in JKD and I'm curious as to which martial arts, in addition to WC and Eskrima, teach trapping. I realize that trapping is only a fractional part of combat. Is it worth learning, if so, is any particular system of trapping more effective in hand-to-hand (sans weapon) fighting?
    As a full instructor of Progressive Fighting Systems ( a JKD Concepts system) I can tell you categorically that "trapping" (ie tan sao, pak sao, all the FMA stuff) is NOT going to work in a real fight. That's why we've dumped it where we train.

You're better off learning the clinch range......neck control, pummeling, underhooking. Those kinds of things require aliveness. You're more likely to be grabbed up by someone once you start pounding on them than to have someone stick their hand out and freeze it.....holding "centerline".
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 7:55am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the PFS guys i've seen did stuff i would call "trapping" only to a) get into clinch range or b) buy enough space to deploy a weapon. If by trapping we mean jamming a forearm or elbow into the body,then that does seem a fairly high percentage way of getting space to get a weapon out.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theres also Chi na, fun to train with but it stops there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're better off learning the clinch range......neck control, pummeling, underhooking. Those kinds of things require aliveness. You're more likely to be grabbed up by someone once you start pounding on them than to have someone stick their hand out and freeze it.....holding "centerline".
    "Getting grabbed up" is supposed to be the reason for training trapping drills in the first place. IMO these drills maintain a deliberately artificial range specifically so that people can practice what to do at that range. The problems start when people don't realize why they're doing the drill and start to specialize in trapping to the exclusion of other ranges.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 10:41am

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've learned trapping in JKD Concepts. I was never able to apply it while sparring, though.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/31/2007 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You and several thousands of others.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast