1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 3:20pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Has Anderson Silva proven anything?

This is a spin off from another theread but it is also something I've been thinking about for a long time. Has Anderson Silva's success in the UFC proven anyhting about Thai clinch assumptions?

I've had a lot of people tell me that Thai clinch is dangerous in MMA because if you use good Thai form it exposes your hips and will get you thrown. My usual answer is yeah whatever I actually know how to clinch. Then I can't really provide any good examples. My argument gets even lamer when I have to claim that in my opinion most pro MMA fighters especially in the UFC don't seem to have any idea how to Thai clinch properly.

We now have a dominant UFC champion that clearly loves the Thai clinch and uses a pretty orthodox position. His hips are much closer than other fighters his elbows are tight and his hands are nice and high. All of which lets him stand up on his toes and deliver HARD knees.

SO, Is Anderson Silva a freak or are we finally seeing a Thai clinch done right and other fighters could adopt it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 3:26pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you got any video showing good and bad examples of a Thai clinch?
    Last edited by Craigypooh; 10/24/2007 3:30pm at .

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bad:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27...clinch_extreme
    The first defense is so laughable its hard to believe. It is the equivalent of elbowing the spine against a double leg.

Good:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Zq_LvHXPE
    This guy clearly explains the correct hand position.

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 3:45pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I've had a lot of people tell me that Thai clinch is dangerous in MMA because if you use good Thai form it exposes your hips and will get you thrown.
    Really? I've never heard anybody say that.

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 3:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not near qualified to speak on this subject but a solid result would be Anderson Silva's style vs a strong wrestler, say Matt Lindland.

Erik Paulson's video is bad? Why is that?

What do you think about this WhiteShark?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrHBANZfIE
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 4:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the rest of Paulson's stuff but that first technique is similar to the silly elbow the spine on a double technique we always see. The "Clinch" he is defending is terrible. so he can do pretty much whatever he wants to defend it. Just like when the karate guys show insane defenses against a double they start with a "leg dive" double.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think one man can necessarily prove whether or not a traditional thai clinch is the way to go. Silva has alot going for him besides his MT.

All that aside, I think the thai clinch is fine against strikers. I am not being sarcastic, but I can't remember a strong grappler that silva has used the thai clinch with so I am not sure how good it would be with a good wrestler (and by strong I mean as talented as silva.)

I think when you are as good as silva you can do alot of things normal people can't;

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    I think when you are as good as silva you can do alot of things normal people can't;
    you mean that if i was to fight rich franklin, i shouldn't drop my hands and start slipping his punches, taunting him to try to KO me?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 4:29pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    This is a spin off from another theread but it is also something I've been thinking about for a long time. Has Anderson Silva's success in the UFC proven anyhting about Thai clinch assumptions?

I've had a lot of people tell me that Thai clinch is dangerous in MMA because if you use good Thai form it exposes your hips and will get you thrown. My usual answer is yeah whatever I actually know how to clinch. Then I can't really provide any good examples. My argument gets even lamer when I have to claim that in my opinion most pro MMA fighters especially in the UFC don't seem to have any idea how to Thai clinch properly.

We now have a dominant UFC champion that clearly loves the Thai clinch and uses a pretty orthodox position. His hips are much closer than other fighters his elbows are tight and his hands are nice and high. All of which lets him stand up on his toes and deliver HARD knees.

SO, Is Anderson Silva a freak or are we finally seeing a Thai clinch done right and other fighters could adopt it.
    I don't think he's particularly takedown -immune. Someone with good Greco skills could almost certainly take him down. Two factors do mitigate this

- Anderson's NOT AFRAID of the takedown, so you can't use the threat of it to keep him from unloading
    - He enters it after he's rocked you. Silva has generally shocked and disoriented his opponent right before he grabs for the cilnch, and hammers hard enough to keep it up.

If dan henderson were to fight him, i'm sure we'd see a slightly different game come out.

Posted On:
    10/24/2007 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your video won't play while embedded Piz so I didn't see it at first. Yeah that is a much better version of a similar technique. Two big differences: They actually get a tight clinch and he even says that if he is tight you can't really throw punches. Secondly he makes space by cross facing. Which is all you really have room for. If someone is clinching correctly you can't grab the trap like Paulson did.

My point was more about his partner than Paulson though...
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast